2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
29 members (Coda9, accordeur, Beowulf, David B, Chris888, CharlesXX, clothearednincompo, Arjen B, Bellicapelli, 4 invisible), 394 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3088418 03/02/21 08:30 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi there,

Has been a long time since I posted here, I hope everyone is healthy and safe.

I had to sell my no-name acoustic upright since I am moving to an apartment and I would like to get your advice to replace it with an electronic one. I am consider my self a beginner since I don't practice a lot but I am around the last 6-7 years.

I am thinking to buy the Kawai MP11 SE for its wooded action and I would like to get your opinion on that. Please note that I don't have the option to play it before I buy it (I have the option to return it for fee if I am not happy with it )

Can the kawai MP11 SE be a satisfactory piano for someone to learn on ?
Can it take the beating from the finger exercises one should perform during practice ?

I am open to hear any other advice you may have.

Thanks a lot for your time and effort !

Last edited by LarryMan; 03/02/21 08:37 AM.
The MP11 SE is considered by many to be the best slab-style digital piano on the planet. If you can afford it, and if you're strong enough to pick it up and put it on a stand (make sure it's a heavy-duty stand!), then yes, it can surely "take the beating" from your practice regimen.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
A
A
Hi LarryMan, I think you wouldn't be able to find anything much better than the MP11SE, generally speaking.
My point of view: if you have money and you are willing to keep practicing and learning, just buy it, regardless of your current level, it's a long term investment.
Otherwise, if you are still unsure about the amount of time and effort you will dedicate on playing, there are some other DPs which are more on budget.

U
uuu Offline
U
I'm assuming you know - but it's worth noting just in case - this keyboard does not have a built in amplifier and speakers. So you can listen on headphones, or plug it into an external setup.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by uuu
I'm assuming you know - but it's worth noting just in case - this keyboard does not have a built in amplifier and speakers. So you can listen on headphones, or plug it into an external setup.

Conversely, the P-515 does have amps/speakers for a fraction of the price.

It can also take a ‘beating’ and bounce right back as if nothing; and even ask for more. “Is that all you got, go ahead, hit me harder!” It’s a little beast, I tell you.

The P-515 can handle anything you throw at it; don’t believe me? Well, take a look at this:

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What stands are heavy duty enough for the MP11SE?

Kawai GX-2
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Chas, I recommend Plexio Z stand for under $70 on Amazon. Strong, stable and great value.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
The MP11 SE is considered by many to be the best slab-style digital piano on the planet. If you can afford it, and if you're strong enough to pick it up and put it on a stand (make sure it's a heavy-duty stand!), then yes, it can surely "take the beating" from your practice regimen.

Agree.

I owned one for 2 years and found it to be a joy to play.

I sold it because I decided I wanted internal speakers.

That didn't work out as I had hoped and I tried the MP7SE which I now have.

I guess I am keeping the MP7SE because it sounds similar (maybe identical) to the MP11SE and is a bit lighter.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by uuu

It can also take a ‘beating’ and bounce right back as if nothing; and even ask for more. “Is that all you got, go ahead, hit me harder!” It’s a little beast, I tell you.

The P-515 can handle anything you throw at it; don’t believe me? Well, take a look at this:

I second this not because the Kawai MP11SE isn't a fine piano (it really is and you'll be hard pressed to find any significantly negative reviews of it) but the P-515 is basically a portable CLP-645 and does not fall short of anything that a learner needs. So why don't you consider this, and consider saving cost? Though it's heavier than other models/brands in the range, it's compact for an apartment. And if I am not wrong - Darla did a pretty good review of the P515 a while back - you might want to check that out as well. Also read some reviews of the binaural CFX samples (headphone only) of the P515 - you HAVE to experience this to believe how good it is. On the other side, some of the warm SK sounds (in the MP11SE and other Kawai models) are totally signature. The MP11SE can of course 'take the beating' you're talking about. Others have already mentioned the need for external amplification - this is a significant consideration.

For both models, you'll thank yourself for investing in a a really sturdy, high quality stand. With the P-515, you could get the matching L-515 stand and LP1 pedal that looks like a mini furniture style piano - maybe a closer piano experience. Or a double braced X stand, or the Yamaha L7.

There are some threads here that suggest using strong Yamaha/Roland stands for the MP11SE and they look absolutely fab.

Point of my post I guess is for you to please consider the whole package and not just the key action - whichever way you choose to go.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Originally Posted by CHAS
What stands are heavy duty enough for the MP11SE?

I don't know if the MP11SE is heavier than the VPC1 - I suspect it is, but consider Sequenz?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388132-REG/sequenz_stdlsv_sequenz_standard_model_large.html

[Linked Image]

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'll just chime in and recommend the K&M Omega stand like I always do - very stable, easy to adjust / take apart and nicer to look at than most stands IMO.
Here's how mine looked with a VPC1 and an ES8:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Morten Olsson; 03/02/21 10:36 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you

Kawai GX-2
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by uuu

P-515 is not in the same league as MP11SE.

And this is the 2nd time I see this video. This lady is a good player but she's still an amateur. P-515, MP7SE you name it, they are all amateur instruments. They are not designed for advanced performances.

No professional will ever play on these gears.

MP11SE's action is easily a head above any slab piano I have played or seen. It's the king of the slabs. No questions, period!

Even mentioning the P-515's name with MP11SE will make you immediately sound like a noob.

Last edited by Abdol; 03/02/21 12:01 PM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Abdol, are you one of those ‘acoustic snobs’?

We had one of those the other day claiming that one cannot transition from a ‘digital’ to an ‘acoustic’ safely. He even cited an incident where someone lost all ten fingers whilst attempting to jump from a P-515 to a Steinway D!

Now, you’re saying that most digitals (except for your beloved MP11SE, I assume) can’t handle the truth, and that only a noob would dare mention the P-515; how dare you!

A
A
Hi Pete, I don't want to get involved into the discussion and/or defend anyone here, but just give my opinion.

We all know that there is still a gap between DPs and acoustics, which is getting narrower every few years.
I am sure that the MP11SE and the P515 make no exception to this rule.
In general, we know acoustics have several disadvantages over DPs, and I would personally not advise anyone to buy an acoustic piano these days, since we finally have good emulations, except for few cases (i.e. you play in an orchestra, if you already own a good DP, or if you feel the need to show off your funrniture to your guest, those kind of exceptions)

In any case, I don't know if a beginner would be able to perceive a difference between any DP currently on the market, but as soon as he gets intermediate, he might start developing some critical sense. Btw, the "someone lost all ten fingers" story is funny.

Ya know, it occurs to me that, assuming you were aware that the MP11 SE doesn't have internal speakers, the Kawai VPC1 would also fit the bill for you, perhaps even better than the MP11 SE.

I think what you're looking for is a solid digital piano with an acoustic-like action. The MP11 SE and the VPC1 check these boxes, but the MP11 SE is a stage piano, designed primarily (I think) for performing players. You probably don't need its extra bells and whistles, not to mention its extra 10 pounds of weight, and it also carries a significantly higher price tag.

So, if you're open to the idea of playing a VST through external speakers, I'd add the VPC1 to the list of candidates.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
Z
Z
Originally Posted by Abdol
This lady is a good player but she's still an amateur.

I would be realy happy to achieve that kind of amateurism.

Yamaha AvantGrand N2. Sennheiser HD 598 SE / Sennheiser IE 80.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by LarryMan
Can the kawai MP11 SE be a satisfactory piano for someone to learn on ?
Can it take the beating from the finger exercises one should perform during practice ?

Yes and Yes. MP11SE is a great DP - if you have an option to return with a reasonable fee then go ahead and give it a shot.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Zanoni
Originally Posted by Abdol
This lady is a good player but she's still an amateur.

I would be realy happy to achieve that kind of amateurism.

As I said, she's an amateur, and being an amateur doesn't mean she's playing badly. We have amateur photography contests... don't get me wrong. Amateur means someone who plays seriously using basic instruments. Most people confuse hobbyists and amateurs though.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Abdol, are you one of those ‘acoustic snobs’?

We had one of those the other day claiming that one cannot transition from a ‘digital’ to an ‘acoustic’ safely. He even cited an incident where someone lost all ten fingers whilst attempting to jump from a P-515 to a Steinway D!

Now, you’re saying that most digitals (except for your beloved MP11SE, I assume) can’t handle the truth, and that only a noob would dare mention the P-515; how dare you!

No I'm not. See the range of digital pianos from Yamaha and see where P-515 fits. It's in the middle. A professional player plays on a professional instrument, digital or acoustic.

MP11SE has a different action and mechanism. The most straightforward simulation and the most direct transfer of weight and force back and force. Not the same with the folded actions. Not that you can't achieve a similar thing with folded actions, but they will feel different because of the less direct transfer of force.

If there was no difference Yamaha wouldn't invest in manufacturing better actions. Also, the repetition rate is different on these two technologies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help for a cheap backup digital
by Bellicapelli - 04/21/21 04:42 AM
Korg C1 and G1 line-in mod.
by OU812 - 04/21/21 03:30 AM
metal tuning pin bushings
by Key Surfer - 04/20/21 11:50 PM
Anderszewski WTC II selections live
by wr - 04/20/21 10:48 PM
Rhythm question regarding Schumann Op. 76/2
by hawgdriver - 04/20/21 10:32 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,437
Posts3,084,774
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission