2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (Consul50, Chris888, brennbaer, Beansparrow, deadlymajesty, ColoRodney, aphexdisklavier, clothearednincompo, 10 invisible), 454 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3088361 03/02/21 04:39 AM
EB5AGV Offline OP
OP Offline
I am an amateur Cubase Pro 11 user and enjoy composing small pieces on it, using mainly my piano VSTs. I have found a pesky problem with audio levels.

I have my system configured as follows: as audio interface I use a Yamaha MG10XU mixer, which includes USB audio, connected to JBL LSR 305 monitors. To set my reference level, I put all gain controls on the MG10XU to 0dB and then, using an audio track of a pop song (checked with several), adjusted the gain on the monitors to have a powerful enough sound.

But then, when using a piano VST, setting all mixer levels in Cubase to default (0dB), and even volume on the VST to maximum (example: 0dB on VSL Synchron pianos), audio is pretty low.

I understand pop music is mixed adding plenty of compression... But doing that with piano recordings, while works somewhat, seems to me as a bad idea.

I am sure some of you record using DAWs and I hope I am just missing some basic point here!

Thanks for your help!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
On a piano you can play a single note with max velocity. And then you can (theoretically) play 88 notes simultaneously with max velocity and produce 88x volume compared to a single note. That is why there’s a huge headroom left, and the piano VST will sound quiet. Once recorded, you can normalize the peak level.

It’s VERY wrong to compare to a pop song where there’s basically no dynamics. The entire track is usually dynamically compressed to be loud.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
A
A
Exactly like CG wrote. Play one key, check your db level in DAW. Then, play one chord, check again. Then, play mega loud chords using all your fingers. I suspect in the last case you can get >0db loudness levels. Piano is an instrument with very wide dynamics. I don't know which VST you are using, but usually there is some setting for dynamics - try to lower it a bit.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
EB5AGV Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your answers!

Yes, it seems I goofed on my reference. I have just read this from a very good article on the subject:

Related to this issue is the use of mastered mixes as mix references. Using references is a great way to train your ears, become accustomed to your speakers and help get your mixes into the right sonic ballpark. However, the mastering process strips off the headroom margin that was present during tracking and mixing. Anyone unaware of this might assume that the aim is to produce a raw mix that hits 0dBFS and has an average level up around -6dBFS, or whatever! This is most definitely not the case. Lower the level of your reference CD tracks to regain that headroom and make them more comparable with your mix level.

The full article can be found at:

Gain staging in your DAW software

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Compression also is used on professional classical music recordings so is not necessarily bad when used judiciously.

EB5AGV Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess my problem is failing to understand the mastering process as a separate thing from mixing. I need to study more! eek

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Jose,

There is a famous music producer from Valencia who offers music production classes (he also develops audio production plugins). I'm not sure if the classes are on hold due to the pandemic. If he doesn't do classical music, he will know who does. You can ping him here:

https://www.instagram.com/gbsoundlab/
https://gbsoundlab.com/

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The proper classical music recording shouldn't rely on compression. But I guess when doing multi-microphone recordings of big orchestra, that's sometimes used to balance the mix. But I'd still prefer as untouched recording as possible. Like, being in the hall. When the orchestra is arranged carefully by the conductor and is playing as expected by the conductor, a simple microphone pair should be enough to record a sound that will approach what you as a listener would hear.

But compressing a piano would be abomination in classical music. I understand the appeal of compressed classical piano recordings and I've heard some of those, very intimate and in your ears, similar to a jazz/pop solo piano. However I don't like that. I guess it'a a matter of taste though.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
A
A
Well, when you are actually critically 'listening' to music, too much compression is not a nice thing, but.. many people listen to music during work, driving a car, in public transport etc. - it wouldn't be a pleasurable experience without some compression involved. Also, our ears and how we as a human percieve sound and particularly music played live is much different from listening to a recording on speakers/headphones, even made by really great microphones. From physical/anatomical perspective.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, CG. I, too, dislike compressed classical.

But ABC is right: compression is important when there's background noise, as in the car, on a bus, at work, etc.

Then again ... in the age of ear buds background noise shouldn't be a problem, eh?

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Mozart vs. Salieri
by grand_BB_71 - 04/19/21 02:52 AM
Soft pedal rod falling off on Kawai K500
by ADIRL - 04/18/21 11:05 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,390
Posts3,084,002
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission