2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (brendon, Beowulf, brdwyguy, accordeur, AndyP, Boboulus, Bostonmoores, 8ude, 36251, 9 invisible), 541 guests, and 452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
OP Offline
W
First, I’ll preface by saying I’m an intermediate (at best) piano player. I enjoy playing all types of music, from Chopin to Brubeck. I played most of my life and then stepped away for a good 15 years just due to burnout and the pressure. I play for myself now and that’s it. I’ve come back to my piano and am really enjoying it, wished I hadn’t stepped away for so long. But perhaps that’s the only way I could enjoy it again. Moving on ...

All that said, I desperately need a new piano.

I have begun my search and was liking the Yamaha CX series, much to my surprise. Yamaha has usually sounded far too “bright” for my tastes. But the C5X is a lovely instrument. I also got to try the C7X and all I can say is WOW! The bass is incredible! I don’t believe the C7X is what is best for my living space so am at the C5X. I also tried a C3X and while lovely, I think the extra size on the C5X makes for better sound. I’ve read a number of threads commenting on the same. My piano technician said he would recommend this piano and thinks it would be an appropriate investment. Curious to hear any additional thoughts from those here on this forum.

I did a really dumb thing and sat down at a few Bösendorfers as well. By far, the loveliest instruments I’ve ever played in my life. I fell in love with a 185VC. While I tried a 170, I feel like if I’m even going to entertain a Bösendorfer, I’ve got to at least start at the 185. I tried a non-VC 185 and didn’t care for the sound quite as much in the upper registers. The VC really “sings” - so heavenly. My issue here is, while I would cherish the 185VC, I feel like my ability doesn’t justify me owning this piano. I don’t need to ask opinions on Bösendorfer but I would like to know thoughts specifically on the 185VC as it is more on the new side.

I don’t see a lot of other options in the piano stores but am not brand loyal so would be open to other suggestions of things to look for/try. Happy to answer any clarifying questions.

Thanks!

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
You might read pianobuyer.

SMP for 185 VC is listed as $127k, whereas C5X is $58k. 185VC is 6 inches smaller.

At that price point you might also consider:

Yamaha CF6. About $120k SMP. It is a 7 ft piano.

Or a Yamaha CF4 (6’3”) for $106k SMP.

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Though it will still write Yamaha on fall board even if it is a CF4.

So you might go with the Bosendorfer 185 VC for prestige instead.

L
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L
I’ve played a 185VC & Loved it

Wonderful tone & touch - Just Beautiful

I wouldn’t worry about Your current ability vs the Piano’s capability

I didn’t let That stop Me, from buying My Dream Piano,... nor would I recommend You, let It either

Besides - You can look forward to growing into Your Dream Piano, for Years to come

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
L
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L
ps - Not sure if You’ve seen the YouTube video below

Obviously, it’s a Marketing/Sales Piece, by Bösendorfer

However, I enjoyed It,... & if You haven’t seen It,... & are in the market for a 185VC, perhaps You’ll enjoy It, too

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It does sing!

L
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
It does sing!

thumb

Far better than I ever will!

Good to see You ML - Hope All is Well in Your World

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you can afford an expensive piano without undue hardship and without compromising other priorities and can play just a single note and appreciate the tone of that piano, then you don't have to worry if your ability justifies the more expensive piano.

In this case you a typical trade off between a very good and longer piano vs. probably a better quality but shorter piano. You will probably get arguments on both sides and only you can decide.

S
Online Content
S
Have you considered Yamaha's SX series? They are more expensive than the CX series but less expensive than Bosendorfers.

When I played the Bosendorfers at the local dealer I actually preferred the non-VC to the VC. I feel like the resonating rim is what gave Bosendorfer its unique, delicate sound. By thickening the rim to produce a more powerful piano, I feel like they have moved away from what made Bosendorfer so special in the first place towards a more conventional sounding piano. Plus, for home use people usually have the problem that the piano is too loud for the space, rather than not loud enough.

However, that was just my impression after playing two particular bosendorfers. It could have just been those particular pianos. But that was how it seemed to me.

W
W
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
I’ve played a 185VC & Loved it

Wonderful tone & touch - Just Beautiful

I wouldn’t worry about Your current ability vs the Piano’s capability

I didn’t let That stop Me, from buying My Dream Piano,... nor would I recommend You, let It either

Besides - You can look forward to growing into Your Dream Piano, for Years to come

~Lucubrate

This is wonderful advice, would wholeheartedly echo. If money is no object, having a dream piano can actually accelerate your growth as a player. You still want to make sure there is a strong affinity between the piano and you. In my experience (and others' on this forum), that can be a tricky personal issue where outsiders can only help so much.

By way of a comparison between the larger grands, my favorite comparison of all time, showing the strengths off each, and using wonderful recording quality, please see this video by a Viennese chamber musician:

Please be extremely wary of instrument comparisons by professional Youtubers. Some of the most famous ones are disguised advertising and should not be taken seriously by the aspiring or accomplished musician.

"Ein Buch ist ein Spiegel, aus dem kein Apostel herausgucken kann, wenn ein Affe hineinguckt." Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742-1799)
L
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Windjammer
You still want to make sure there is a strong affinity between the piano and you. In my experience (and others' on this forum), that can be a tricky personal issue where outsiders can only help so much.

Agree 100%

That affinity & connection with a certain piano, should supersede most other criteria (brand, length, etc). And It’s a distinctly personal realization/assessment

By way of a comparison between the larger grands, my favorite comparison of all time, showing the strengths off each, and using wonderful recording quality, please see this video by a Viennese chamber musician:

A favorite of Mine, too - Watched it more than once!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Interesting comparison! To my ear, each piano sounds best for one of the pieces. Although the Steinway is probably the best-suited for the group.

W
OP Offline
W
Update: Spent more time with the Yamaha C7X and now it’s between that and the Bösendorfer 185V. I think I just wrote off the C7X because of its size but I have the room so I gave it more of a chance today.

I absolutely love the bass on the Yamaha, so much fun to dig in. However, the upper register doesn’t sing like the Bösendorfer. I was told there’s potential to voice either to get what I’d like (more bass on the Bösendorfer and more treble on the Yamaha).

I love the Yamaha for standards and some jazz. But much prefer the Bösendorfer on the classical pieces and when I need the higher notes to sing over the bass (as it’s much easier).

We’re talking about a difference of $37,000. No small amount. That said, it won’t break the bank and this is my forever piano. I can’t make a “wrong” choice but this sure is tough.

I haven’t tried the SX series by Yamaha, will have to try and find one. Had no idea! Thank you for the suggestion!

As to the comment on the Bösendorfer VC series vs the traditional Bösendorfer ... while they were different lengths, I personally preferred the VC to the others (the VC being the shortest at 185). Ironically, one non-VC sounded too bright and loud while the other sounded a bit too what I’d call “under water” sounding for me and it was the largest at, I believe, 7’. But interesting your comment about the VC being overpowering for a home ... I could easily see that happening (even with the shorter Bösendorfer VC compared to the Yamaha C7X).

And thank you to the comparison video! I’m always hesitant of comparison videos but that was quite pleasant.

I love reading all the comments and discourse. I haven’t talked about pianos in recent years and didn’t realize how much I missed it. It’s enjoyable to read each player’s unique perspective.

Last edited by WSherlock80; 03/01/21 10:53 PM.
S
Online Content
S
The SX series are the same size and look very similar to the corresponding CX pianos, except I believe the SX series have a gold plate instead of bronze. The SX pianos have had Yamaha's Acoustic Resonance Enhancement (torrification) done to the rims which gives the piano a warmer, richer sound. They also have different hammers, a different soundboard I believe and hand-wound bass strings. The action also undergos a much more exacting regulation I think.

Interestingly, in one of his videos James Pavel Shawcross commented that the SX pianos seemed to have less resonance than other pianos. That is, when you put the pedal down and press a note the other strings have less sympathetic resonance. I noticed that one commenter mentioned here on PW that he found the S7X a bit "dry". I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing or whether it is also true of the CX series?

Last edited by Sonepica; 03/01/21 11:01 PM.
K
kre Offline
K
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
ps - Not sure if You’ve seen the YouTube video below

Obviously, it’s a Marketing/Sales Piece, by Bösendorfer

However, I enjoyed It,... & if You haven’t seen It,... & are in the market for a 185VC, perhaps You’ll enjoy It, too

~Lucubrate

I'm quite disturbed by the fact that I don't see any mikes in those lovely Bösendorfer marketing videos. So obviously we are not hearing what we are seeing.

S
Online Content
S
Originally Posted by kre
I'm quite disturbed by the fact that I don't see any mikes in those lovely Bösendorfer marketing videos. So obviously we are not hearing what we are seeing.

I heard that on the Bösendorfer videos they actually use a recording of a Hailun.

Last edited by Sonepica; 03/02/21 03:02 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kre

It doesn't sound like the mics are near the piano.

K
kre Offline
K
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by kre

It doesn't sound like the mics are near the piano.

True, they are not on top of hammers inside the lid, but based what I'm hearing they are definitely close enough to be visible in the video. Why do they need to do this, I don't get it?

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Originally Posted by kre

I heard that on the Bösendorfer videos they actually use a recording of a Hailun.

Some ridiculous conspiracy theory or is this from a reputable and quotable source?

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
I have played many Bösendorfers and heard many played. They are among the finest in the world and allow seemingly infinite variation in tone and volume production. All pianos of course do this to a greater or lesser degree, but Bösendorfers are exceptional. I don’t necessarily think you should choose one over the other. You will know when you know. Just spend time with both. I am sure either would serve you very well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Young Chang U-121 Age and Price
by sansandreas - 04/17/21 06:59 PM
A detailed review for Pianoteq 7 Pro
by TheodorN - 04/17/21 06:50 PM
Question about Grand Piano dynamics range?
by Jojovan - 04/17/21 06:45 PM
Innie/Outtie Blues 2
by Dfrankjazz - 04/17/21 05:38 PM
Soundboard Speakers
by Vikendios - 04/17/21 05:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,357
Posts3,083,576
Members101,223
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission