2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (c++, Alex Hutor, CianistAndPomposer, antune, astrotoy, CharlesXX, anotherscott, ABull, Carey, Bruce In Philly, 7 invisible), 547 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
my headphone gives really low volume with the roland fp10 and i read that thats an issue with all users .. someone at the store told me that the samson sr850 headphones will work fine .. could someone that have it confirm that its volume is not low too please

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This doesn't directly answer your question but will still give you something to think about.

Years ago I bought an inexpensive four channel mixer (Mackie 402VLZ4) which is semi permanently mounted on my piano. I use it to control the volume of my tablet in relationship to my piano.

I watch YouTube videos sometimes while I practice and this is the easiest way to adjust the volume.

Since this mixer is extremely versatile, it can be used for more purposes. At any rate, I initially thought of buying a headphone amplifier and the thought of buying a mixer seemed like a better idea.

Just a thought.

https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-402VLZ4-4-channel-Compact-Quality/dp/B00EDRUQXC

Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
D
D
No tengo esos auriculares pero yo uso unos monitores de oido (kz 10 pro) escucho bien fuerte todo, así que tengo que bajarle de volumen al piano. Supongo que viendo las especificaciones de los auriculares te puedes dar cuenta de que tan alto puede llegar a sonar.

_
_
Not sure by the specs - the impedance is low, but so is the sensitivity 98dB (12 dB less than other Samson models here https://www.amazon.com/Samson-SR850-Semi-Open-Back-Reference-Headphones/dp/B002LBSEQS)

Senn HD559 are 50Ohm 108dB for instance. Most Beyerdynamic 96dB... but not sure if they use the same sensitivity scales.

Btw, the volume isn't the only issue when choosing headphones - the sound of the same DP with different headphones (or speakers) is often astonishingly different. It is highly recommended to try before buying, or at least to order from a place with hassle-free returns.

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
This post by Ralphiano may be of use: low cost headphone review

Or perhaps he will weigh in here . . .

D
OP Offline
D
thank you guys really appreciate ur comments

H
hes Offline
H
Samson SR850 are what I use with my FP-10. I like them; they work well.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by hes
Samson SR850 are what I use with my FP-10. I like them; they work well.
man you are a life saver thank you so much
im getting mine tomorrow .. at how much do you keep the roland touch sensitivity and volume while using them cause i dont have much experience with real pianos so i cant tell what are the most realistic settings

A
A
FP-10 headphone output is very limited in wattage (very silent), so definitely look for something with very low impedance and sensitivity as high as possible. Some cheap options are Samson SR850 (basically Superlux clone), Takstar PRO82 and less low-end option: AKG K371 (better sound quality than Takstar or Samson and also louder).

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
H
hes Offline
H
I just realized that I usually listen to my SR850's through a Rolls MiniMix mixer, which gives a little amplification if I want it to. I rechecked with direct connection and the volume is fine, albeit won't get superloud even on max volume. I didn't switch to using the mixer to get louder output, switched to mix in VST and/or bluetooth audio.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by hes
I rechecked with direct connection and the volume is fine, albeit won't get superloud even on max volume.
i dont need it to be super loud just normal , like when i use the headphones to listen to a vst through pc directly .. so i guess what u mean by fine is that you can use the direct headphone to roland connection and wont need amp right ?

Last edited by doctor yahya; 03/02/21 01:56 PM.
A
A
It's not even close to super-loud. It's more like just-enough-loud. I'm talking directly from FP10 headphone output using AKG K371, which having 32Ohm (same as Samsons) and higher sensitivity (116db vs 96db on Samsons) are louder than Samsons.

Btw. playing piano with volume not loud enough is bad for technique - you will play harder than you should and develop wrong technique.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
It's not even close to super-loud. It's more like just-enough-loud.
im thinking of buying an amp for my current headphones instead of new set of headphones this would be better solution for the low amping power of the roland right ? what about this one ?
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HA400-Ultra-Compact-4-Channel-Headphone/dp/B000KIPT30

H
hes Offline
H
Can't speak to that specific one, but the idea of using some inexpensive headphone amp with current headphones sounds like a good one to me.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by doctor yahya
im thinking of buying an amp for my current headphones instead of new set of headphones this would be better solution for the low amping power of the roland right ? what about this one ?
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HA400-Ultra-Compact-4-Channel-Headphone/dp/B000KIPT30

Be sure to scour the reviews and literature about it. A short while back I was looking at low priced headphone amplifiers. That Behringer was one of the ones I was considering. I remember that there were two different branded amps on the market that looked almost identical. But, the available reviews warned that one of them did not amplify the signal, but was merely a signal splitter that allowed the user to split a single headphone input into 4 headphone outputs with individual controls. You definitely need to avoid that one.

Unfortunately, I do not remember which amplifiers they were, or, which one actually amplified the signal. I just remember that the Behringer was one of the handful of amps I was considering at the time. I wish I had better details for you, but, that's all I remember right now.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Ralphiano

Be sure to scour the reviews and literature about it. A short while back I was looking at low priced headphone amplifiers. That Behringer was one of the ones I was considering. I remember that there were two different branded amps on the market that looked almost identical. But, the available reviews warned that one of them did not amplify the signal, but was merely a signal splitter that allowed the user to split a single headphone input into 4 headphone outputs with individual controls. You definitely need to avoid that one.

Unfortunately, I do not remember which amplifiers they were, or, which one actually amplified the signal. I just remember that the Behringer was one of the handful of amps I was considering at the time. I wish I had better details for you, but, that's all I remember right now.
thank you .. u were very helpful .. appreciate ur time

_
_
im thinking of buying an amp for my current headphones instead of new set of headphones this would be better solution for the low amping power of the roland right

I think this would make sense if you think your headphones sound very well with the FP10 aside for the volume (mind the FP10 doesn't have a line-out and plugging another amp into the phones-out will increase noise). Otherwise, I think it is a better idea to try to look for headphones that both produce more volume and good sound with the Roland. The differences in the sound with different headphones are big and unpredictable.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by _sem_
im thinking of buying an amp for my current headphones instead of new set of headphones this would be better solution for the low amping power of the roland right

I think this would make sense if you think your headphones sound very well with the FP10 aside for the volume (mind the FP10 doesn't have a line-out and plugging another amp into the phones-out will increase noise). Otherwise, I think it is a better idea to try to look for headphones that both produce more volume and good sound with the Roland. The differences in the sound with different headphones are big and unpredictable.
not it doesnt sound very well but its ages better than the onboard roland speakers the only problem is the low volume .. i think i will get the samson and try it and maybe get the amp .. "hes" said above that its fine without amp s i think i should try it my self then decide if i need an amp

D
D
I recommend using ear monitors from the kz brand, I use the kz zs10 pro and they sound very loud, so much so that I have to lower the volume on the piano. And they cost less than your samson

_
_
I tried a few pairs of IEMs, including Sennheiser IE40, 1MORE E1010, and a few that came with smartphones. All were plenty loud, but none was remotely close to the old Sennheiser over-ear open-back HD545ref quality-wise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modernised classics.
by treefrog - 04/18/21 06:39 PM
Brahms Hungarian Dance #5
by Works1 - 04/18/21 05:57 PM
Recommendations on interesting YouTube lectures?
by ZigZagStory - 04/18/21 05:08 PM
Hygrometer
by FennerMachine - 04/18/21 04:50 PM
Humidity in New England - hygrometer 40%
by Pkhentz - 04/18/21 02:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,380
Posts3,083,907
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission