2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 52 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 51 52
V
vu2 Offline
V
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
Originally Posted by vu2
Randy/Alfred,

I have found that with the volume near max and using SK Concert Grand, when I play the Treble Clef B note, my left speaker rattles. And only on this note. Have you guys noticed something similar or could you try to simulate that? I am wondering if that is normal.

I would try moving the piano to another room, or another part of the room, and trying it again. There are some weird acoustic things that happen in smallish rooms. My ES8 tends to rattle on some notes, and just moving it a few inches changes things enough that it doesn't.
I will have to try that! Now that I think of it, the left side of my piano is close to a corner... which could explain why only the left speaker rattles.

J
J
HI all
@vu2, you can also try setting the Wall EQ setting to ON in the settings. I find that does help when putting the piano up against a vertical surface and it compensates for the power and loudness.
Sounds quite nice.

To everyone else, here's another tip i found. When playing the EP sound patches, i was noticing a very annoying "quack" on all the EPs that i never heard before on other pianos. I kept thinking, what the heck is all this...did Kawai sample too much, i was not enjoying all this extra nuance. Then after diving deeper, i notice it only happens on key raise, when my fingers come off. So i thought, hmm..maybe it's actually the Key Off effect! duh! yes indeed it was! Key off is fine for piano sounds but for EPs, when turning Key Off down to 1 or even zero, then that annoying extra "quack" sound goes away! Now the EPs are so much more enjoyable to play.

R
OP Offline
R
Hmmmm.... thanks for the tip, have never noticed a quack with the EPs though.

Yeah, there's lots of interesting technician settings that are worth learning about.

Randy
Studiologic Numa Piano X73 / Kawai ES920 / Yamaha PSR EW-410 / Casio CT-X5000
Melodica / Alto recorder / iPad music apps
A
A
Originally Posted by vu2
Randy/Alfred,

I have found that with the volume near max and using SK Concert Grand, when I play the Treble Clef B note, my left speaker rattles. And only on this note. Have you guys noticed something similar or could you try to simulate that? I am wondering if that is normal.

Hi vu2, I apologize for the delay. All good here, no rattles on the treble cleff B or any other key.

Kawai ES-920
Yamaha P-121
Yamaha P-90
R
OP Offline
R
VU2,
Yes, same here, no vibrations at full volume for any of the higher B notes using SK concert grand.

Randy
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by J-Corgi77
To everyone else, here's another tip i found. When playing the EP sound patches, i was noticing a very annoying "quack" on all the EPs that i never heard before on other pianos. I kept thinking, what the heck is all this...did Kawai sample too much, i was not enjoying all this extra nuance. Then after diving deeper, i notice it only happens on key raise, when my fingers come off. So i thought, hmm..maybe it's actually the Key Off effect! duh! yes indeed it was! Key off is fine for piano sounds but for EPs, when turning Key Off down to 1 or even zero, then that annoying extra "quack" sound goes away! Now the EPs are so much more enjoyable to play.

Yes, that's definitely the Key-off Noise. This noise differs for acoustic piano, electric piano, harpsichord, and bass sounds. I believe the default setting is intended to reproduce the character of a reasonably well-worn Rhodes, however I can appreciate that some players may not wish to hear this sound.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
I was hoping the new model would have upgraded the key action. Are there any negatives for them to stick with RH3? Going by the ES8, I'm thinking the ES920 will be here for several years, unless it is a "lite" upgrade.

How does the action on the ES520 compare, I have not heard of that action before.

I figure they didn't want to upgrade the key action and affect sales of their non portable models

Last edited by ahumdrumoflife; 02/22/21 06:07 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Good questions, and is the ES110 sticking around?

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Online Content
Originally Posted by ahumdrumoflife
I was hoping the new model would have upgraded the key action.

According to some reviewers, the ES920 action is better than the ES8 action.

Are there any negatives for them to stick with RH3?

I don't believe so. The RHIII action is well-regarded among digital piano enthusiasts.

How does the action on the ES520 compare, I have not heard of that action before.

The ES520's "Responsive Hammer Compact II" action is essentially a 3-sensor version of the ES110's "Responsive Hammer Compact" action.

It's a good quality action, however the full RHIII action found in the ES920 is superior.

I figure they didn't want to upgrade the key action and affect sales of their non portable models

The only option above RHIII would be to use the wooden-key "Grand Feel Compact", however this action is much larger and heavier, and would negate the portability benefits of using a molded case design.

Kind regards,
James
x

Online Content
Originally Posted by RinTin
Good questions, and is the ES110 sticking around?

Yes.

Guys I have a question regarding my Kawai ES920 I didn't wanna open a new thread hopefully you'd know:
So I'm playing in a band, and while I thoroughly enjoy my keyboard, what I miss sorrowly are the brass/synth lead type sounds so I was thinking maybe to somehow place a smaller "synth" keyboard like a Korg OPSIX or something on top, and use the LINE IN to stereo cable in order to have the auxiliary keyboard sound through the ES920 internal speakers. While I understood that this is feasible (correct me if I'm wrong) I am wondering, if I were to do such a thing, and want the whole setup to be sound through an external PA, does connecting the ES920's stereo outs will carry over the sound of the synth's LINE IN as well?

thanks everyone!

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...
https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc
F
F
Originally Posted by Chummy
Guys I have a question regarding my Kawai ES920 I didn't wanna open a new thread hopefully you'd know:
So I'm playing in a band, and while I thoroughly enjoy my keyboard, what I miss sorrowly are the brass/synth lead type sounds so I was thinking maybe to somehow place a smaller "synth" keyboard like a Korg OPSIX or something on top, and use the LINE IN to stereo cable in order to have the auxiliary keyboard sound through the ES920 internal speakers. While I understood that this is feasible (correct me if I'm wrong) I am wondering, if I were to do such a thing, and want the whole setup to be sound through an external PA, does connecting the ES920's stereo outs will carry over the sound of the synth's LINE IN as well?

thanks everyone!

I'm actually not sure (I don't have the ES920 in front of my right now) but I think that even if it can do what you're describing, you're still going to be better off with a small mixer (like this or anything similar- https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-Mix-M...mp;psc=1&refRID=P8X6GPFHNBNAB7375H51)

This way you'd have both the piano and synth as stereo, balanced, line level connectors with full level control. 1/8th connectors are unbalanced and have a lovely tendency to cause a bunch of noise with amps and power cables in the vicinity.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm fairly new to MIDI, so would the ES520 be able to act as a controller to play Pianoteq libraries or similar virtual instrument software?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes

Online Content
Originally Posted by Chummy
does connecting the ES920's stereo outs will carry over the sound of the synth's LINE IN as well?

Yes, should do.

Cheers,
James
x

K
K
hello guys i have a problem, i think, on my es920! today i was playing and i noticed that from the note G6 until the end of the keyboard the notes have more sustain! (not so much as if I were playing with the pedal but much more than the rest!) I already did the factory reset and it remains the same! I do not know what to do! does anyone have an idea what it will be?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have an idea. Acoustic instruments exhibit the same behavior, since they do not have dampers in this register. This question has been raised many times by newcomers on this and other forums. ForĀ example:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...d-f140r-no-dampers-on-highest-notes.html

K
K
ok as I was playing with new headphones I thought it was strange but it's logical! despite finding too much sustain! can be from headphones lol

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I bought the ES-920 for my wife and myself. I am a beginner but my wife isnĀ“t and she loves the piano...
ES-920 is a superb piano (my opinion is not that worthy since i am not able to judge) but it motivates me to learn, play and progress.
I look forward this thread to learn from you how to set up the piano and sounds etc.
May be someone can help us and tell us what is the best dust protection for this piano. (i have also the stand and the 3 pedals).

"La critique est facile, mais l'art reste difficile"
R
OP Offline
R
playplayplay! I like your user name- welcome to the forum!

There are no 'best' dust covers that I'm aware of. The lycra/spandex cover I have linked here is like every other cover I've seen, a stretchy fabric that you pull over your keyboard and secure with an elastic cord to pull it tight. It protects it from dust and to some extent, water. The only variation i've seen is for various fabric patterns.

Amazon 88 note keyboard cover

You have the right idea. I've had to take several keyboards apart due to dust that got into the contact strip. No need to replace, just clean, but it's a hassle and worrying to pull out so many screws!

Last edited by Randyman; 03/01/21 07:05 PM.

Randy
Page 7 of 52 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission