2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rocdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi everyone, cross-posting for better audience here, sorry for the double post.
N00b here, but thought this was a question for this forum rather than the adult beginners one. I have a Yamaha Arius 164 digital piano - very happy with it for my level, although with every day of improvement I find myself looking at a Clavinova... But that's for a different discussion. Anyway, for a lot of my electronics, particularly where a sound amplifier is involved, I have been taught to leave them on rather than turn them on and off, as it's likely to prolong their life. Does this apply here? This piano comes with a default auto-power-off, but has an easy way to turn that off right at the beginning of the manual. How do you handle yours? Keep it on, at least for an entire day if you might pop over to play for a few minutes here and there, or turn it off and back on every time?
Thanks

Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I once heard advice here to leave electronics "on" or "at idle" when not in use. The theory was that by keeping the internals slightly warm, you reduce the opportunity for moisture to settle in and do its damage.

So, when I was in less humidity controlled living quarters, I left my equipment "on". Right now, I have very good humidity control so I turn everything off after use.

I have no evidence, one way or the other, about whether these practices have helped prolong the life of my equipment.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The days of vacuum tubes are long gone. These days equipment will often last longer than I want it or need it. So I don't worry over "leaving it on", or surge protectors, or avoiding direct sunlight, or humidity.

I like to keep it simple. I buy it. I use it. I enjoy it. That's all.

Perhaps it's a generational thing, however I was raised by my parents to turn things off after I have finished using them.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The days of vacuum tubes are long gone. These days equipment will often last longer than I want it or need it. So I don't worry over "leaving it on", or surge protectors, or avoiding direct sunlight, or humidity.

I like to keep it simple. I buy it. I use it. I enjoy it. That's all.

+1

That is the most logical and succinct way to put it.

God bless,
David

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Perhaps it's a generational thing, however I was raised by my parents to turn things off after I have finished using them.

Kind regards,
James
x

I am with you. I see fully unnecessary to waste energy that way. And, trust me, as a 40+ years electronic tinkerer, some parts, as electrolytic capacitors, don't enjoy being powered 24/7. They have a lifetime so you are shortening it by having them powered all day. And power transients are better avoided, so with 24/7 you catch them all

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
They have a lifetime so you are shortening it by having them powered all day. And power transients are better avoided, so with 24/7 you catch them all
Same. I originally didn't care to much whether left on or off, but for the optical components that are known to start failing after a decade or so--why shorten that life further leaving on all the time? Also, we were hit by brownouts a couple of years back and the piano speakers started screaming 😱 After that, I got a good line conditioner and made sure to turn it off when needed.

The "effort" required to turn a DP on or off seems so trivial as to not worth being mentioned, IMO.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Yes, it is pointless to keep things on longer than necessary. I don't think there is any measurable real benefit of doing so. Let's not waste energy.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Osho
Yes, it is pointless to keep things on longer than necessary. I don't think there is any measurable real benefit of doing so. Let's not waste energy.

Osho

Not so fast. When sitting down to practice or play the piano you'll probably be hitting the keys thousands of times. Why stress your fingers before and after playing by depressing that one extra button?

whistle

Roland RD-2000
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My experience with a Steinberg UR22 mostly powered (I didn’t want to wait my virtual piano loading), is that it stresses the DAC which sometimes produce more and more frequently silent instead of sound !

I have sent it and hope the warranty application, but the transportation seems to have repaired it ! (It was in a cold month).

Then, I avoid now using it too much, and know that the fridge could help me to repair it if needed.

Now I have a N1X with a 30 minutes auto-off, and I am sure I will not have the same issue for the same reason !

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/26/21 12:52 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
R
rocdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
For anyone interested, below is the message from Yamaha. As I kind of expected, there is no actual benefit to leaving it on continuously and the reasons for doing so with large amplifiers don't translate here. I'll turn the auto-power-off function back on.

<<<
"Thank you for contacting Yamaha Support.

I have yet to hear of a Yamaha product failing because it was turned off and on too much. I have two Yamaha S90ES keyboards that I have used for 13 years on gigs and at home and they are always fully shut off. Before that I had another instrument I used for decades turning on and off and there wasn't a single failure because I turned it on and off too many times. It's better to turn it off when not using it.

If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to let me know."
>>>

Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Schwa

Osho

Not so fast. When sitting down to practice or play the piano you'll probably be hitting the keys thousands of times. Why stress your fingers before and after playing by depressing that one extra button?

whistle

You might be right about the excess effort involved in turning on/off the piano.

The solution is to build Alexa into all new pianos:

“Alexa, turn piano off!”

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The next step is « Alexa, play the Appassionata sonata ! » smile

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/26/21 03:27 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

Shall we just get tiny microchips in each of our 10 digits and let Alexa/Bezos control them remotely so we can all play like Horowitz?

This is how the laziness to turn piano on and off will transform us to virtuoso pianists! smile

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P

Shall we just get tiny microchips in each of our 10 digits and let Alexa/Bezos control them remotely so we can all play like Horowitz?

Osho

Yes, to that!

(Assuming I can choose to play like Glenn Gould instead of Horowitz). wink

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Pete14

Osho

Yes, to that!

(Assuming I can choose to play like Glenn Gould instead of Horowitz). wink

Well, there would be Buy 1, get 1 50% off deal. So, no worries!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB

[Linked Image]
J
J
Yamaha now defaults to a 30-minute Auto-Off. That should tell you everything you need to know in my opinion.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On or Off? I don’t think it matters with modern electronics - just make sure the electronics don’t overheat.

I use a power strip with an on/off switch. When I’m done, I flick the switch and everything powers off. I also set the auto-off 30 min setting on the keyboard.

For safety reasons, I turn off all electrical devices when I leave the house. I even un-plug them when I go on vacation. Several good power strips around the house make it simple to do.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
With class D amps and op-amps, your keyboard electronics should be fully warmed up by the time your hands are warmed up. There is no need to leave a digital keyboard powered up.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Oh my ...

Such an important topic. Heat wears on the digital thingies we have all inherited in our pianos. It might be best to minimize that.

Oh, and in some Mfgr's of these thingies, a stress test can be used to see how well the thingies can be switched on and off. Maybe they do each cycle 1,000x? More? Not to worry of wearing anything out.

I still set back and wonder in awe of the level of piano we can purchase. The Touch, Feel, Speakers, Amplification, Sounds, and on and on ...

Kawai James

When is Kawai going to round out its offerings and keep up with Korg?

And then, as you have variations of a 'Toy Piano' voice, migrate that to ...

https://www.korg.com/us/products/digitalpianos/tinypiano/

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission