2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (Animisha, BlakeOR, c++, anotherscott, Boboulus, Aaron Ginn, bluebilly, aphexdisklavier, 17 invisible), 536 guests, and 356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20
That's what I was hoping would be the case (just enter a license # into a textbox somewhere), but when I click on the Update license button, I get a message that says:

This is the trial version of Pianoteq -- if you have a Pianoteq license, you will need to download and install the full version of Pianoteq from your user area at...

So... that's why I'm asking if I should delete the trial version before installing the full version. I read through the FAQ on the Modartt site, but didn't see this question addressed there.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
Hmm, sorry, I guess it's been a while. I don't recall having to uninstall anything; I think I just installed the full version on top of the trial version.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
That's what I was hoping would be the case (just enter a license # into a textbox somewhere), but when I click on the Update license button, I get a message that says:

This is the trial version of Pianoteq -- if you have a Pianoteq license, you will need to download and install the full version of Pianoteq from your user area at...

So... that's why I'm asking if I should delete the trial version before installing the full version. I read through the FAQ on the Modartt site, but didn't see this question addressed there.

I would recommend to delete the trial version. And, then download the full version from user area and install it. This worked for me. If you have any presets, velocity curves etc. that you have saved, you may want to 'remember' them or save the presets to files.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by FloRi89
Originally Posted by navindra
Originally Posted by Fleer
CyberGene’s point regarding reverb is spot on. I use FabFilter Pro-R or even cheap PSP PianoVerb2.

Do you turn off reverb completely on Pianoteq before piping to the external reverb? Or do you keep some Pianoteq resonance to simulate the cabinet?

I think there are different settings for those. Personally I had the best results when turning the PT reverb off completely, but mix and match might also be a good way.

+1. I always turn Pianoteq reverb off. I like the sound dry with speakers - so I get whatever is the natural reverb from the room.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by CyberGene
To summarize, the things that need improvement:
- Sound that is boxy (nasal? coming from another room? lacking stereo feel?)
- Touch response that is not playable by default and would require detailed note-per-note MIDI editing as well as note-per-note volume/timbre modifications
- Reverberation that is not convincing and sounds more like an effect than real space

These are all valid criticisms.

Re: boxy sound - I think it is due to the choice of the default mics in Pianoteq presets (not the mic positions - but the mics themselves), combined with some speaker systems. CG, what is the speaker system you are using? Is it N1X's built in speakers? I did not have a good experience with Pianoteq's sound with NV10's speaker system - but it sounds totally different (i.e. better) with monitor speakers.

Re: Touch response, I did not have issue with NV10's action. But, I suspect your sense of what attack should be for different velocities might be more refined than mine.

Re: reverberation, I agree. I always turn Pianoteq reverb off.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Osho, I use only headphones. In very rare cases I play my N1X through speakers but I wouldn't use VST-s (Garritan CFX which is what I regularly use, or Pianoteq) with speakers since that's too rare case to bother connecting the computer and all the stuff. So, having a realistic reverberation is very important for me because with headphones it would be too dry.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
CG, with headphones, I think you will have to use some external reverb with Pianoteq reverb turned off to get a good sound. I am not a big fan of Pianoteq's sound via headphones with built-in reverb.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB

[Linked Image]
F
F
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Disregard my question: I found a predelay buttorn somewhere and was happy that I could set it to zero!

Fleer, do you have recommendations with respect to nice settings?
Depends on your taste, of course, but the Piano Hall preset is mighty sweet in FabFilter Pro-R.
Forgot to add I also like ValhallaRoom, EWQL Spaces and Eventide Stereo Room 2016 for Pianoteq.
And there’s a unique one for sound design if you’ve got Pianoteq Standard or Pro and you’re into the new morphing function: Zynaptiq Adaptiverb. Simply astonishing.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm OK with that, but I'd like to point out how I also mentioned my issue with the last two octaves and people didn't really believe me, coming up with suggestions to measure volume vs MIDI and whatnot, while at the same time Modartt fixed it for 7.2.

For my part, I was merely trying to objectively quantify and understand your feedback about the dynamic response.

I'm not sure what exactly is objectionable about attempting to repro an issue via MIDI. It was totally a good faith effort and attempt to demonstrate the bug, even if it didn't work. I believe I agreed with quite a few of your points as well, and I've also given the same feedback regarding reverb in the past.

Incidentally, David B had similar feedback about the N1X response with a completely different virtual piano but was able to resolve it with some adjustments to the voicing. Tyrone might have had a similar set of adjustments for the N1X and Pianoteq.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Navindra, I didn't want to sound denigrating towards you. I understand my initial demo and description wasn't good enough to demo the problem with the last two octaves which is why a few people including you suggested that I measure. And I think it would have been much easier to just test manually by playing very quietly. Anyway, it's good they fixed it after all. When working on the beta team for Grotrian I noticed Modartt are very responsive towards this type of feedback (well, we were expected to do exactly that) and so they would constantly fix this and that in a similar fashion. It's just a personal opinion of me, but I think there's a slight issue with that approach and it's different people have different taste towards piano sound and IMO the final result isn't very coherent. I'd rather prefer they hire one mastermind, a professional pianist for instance, who would make the patch sounding exactly as he wants, note by note. Also, it would be good if they tailor the MIDI response for various digital pianos.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
L
L
Yeah, it's just one version. You authorize it when you buy it.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Rhodes74
...a big gap is this boxy sound, slightly nasal, slightly dull, slightly mono-like

As from a badly miked grand?

I don't know, these things are hard to describe with words. I think the best description so far of this inherent Pianoteq shortcoming has been "piano sound coming from another room". It's improved indeed, as I said, so in version 7.2 Pianoteq (and only NY Steinway D model) is *almost* usable for me. I can really see how other people might find it excellent though. It's just not according to my taste yet.

To summarize, the things that need improvement:
- Sound that is boxy (nasal? coming from another room? lacking stereo feel?)
- Touch response that is not playable by default and would require detailed note-per-note MIDI editing as well as note-per-note volume/timbre modifications
- Reverberation that is not convincing and sounds more like an effect than real space
I know what you are referring to. The nasally, boxy, twangy effect is something Modartt has not been able to completely eliminate though it is better especially with the Steinway D in PTQ7. I'm very impressed with the modelling they were able to achieve in the lower registers of the Steinway D which for me is very convincing when playing live on my VPC-1 through monitor speakers. It's got that bite and accuracy that has been missing in previous PTQ versions and something I feel is missing in most VSTs.

I recently purchased an inexpensive USB audio interface (Behringer) to use with a 2011 mac mini and it improved the latency and sound of my Ravenscroft piano. I did lower my buffer size to 128 and reduced sampling to 44khz to further improve performance. Once again that overall character of a grand piano taken as a whole I believe is better captured by PTQ, but Ravenscroft produces a cleaner sweeter sound with PTQ Steinway D having a sawtoothy waveform- like character to it. This also always bothered me a little when comparing PTQ to Ravenscroft.

When using earphones I used to be able to set sound output to "binaural" with good results but with new multi-layered 3 dimensional modelling they use in PTQ, binaural sounds too washed out so I don't use that setting anymore when listening through earphones. In fact, I don't use earphones at all I just turn the volume down for quiet practice.

Working on:
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Adam A7X monitors and piano VSTs. Anyone?
by EB5AGV - 04/23/21 11:34 AM
master controller 73 or 88?
by stefanocps - 04/23/21 11:23 AM
Classical Style Lead Sheets
by Qazsedcft - 04/23/21 10:42 AM
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,488
Posts3,085,736
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission