2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (CaseyVancouver, Beansparrow, BlakeOR, Dfrankjazz, c++, chopinetto, 10 invisible), 402 guests, and 414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi guys, I'm having a problem I hope someone can solve. I have owned a CLP-545 for quite some time, I've been interested in the Yamaha CLP-785 for 2 years now, and I was finally able to try it at a local dealer in my hometown. The keyboard was as good as I expected, and the sound with headphones was awesome, but in my opinion the sound with speakers was... how can I say it softly... horrible ಠ_ಠ.

Do you know that horribe vibration when there's something on or near the piano (a glass, silverware, a shelf with a glass door...), you hit the right frequency at which that object vibrates and it destroys the sound? One of those things that once heard, it can not be unheard and will destroy your brain and ears every single time you press that key you and I know. It was the exact same effect with every single key in the 3 central octaves more or less, starting with the sound, lasting for a couple seconds and then disappearing before the sound faded away (it wouldn't happen when pressing the keys veeeeeeeery softly). I tried it for a while, and the distortion persisted. Checked around the piano, no objects at all. Kept paying attention to it and finally got to the conclussion that the vibration came from a speaker or a piece at the top-right quarter of the piano. I asked someone from the staff to check if it could be a faulty unit, but unfortunately he said he couldn't hear that distortion. I was lucky enough to go with a friend of mine who is also a pianist and she realised about the noise before I said anything, so I know she wasn't biased and I wasn't hearing ghosts.

This problem haunted me for several weeks (as I said, I had been waiting for this piano for 2 years), and I finally had the opportunity to try the same model in a different shop. Unfortunately, the exact same problem. This time the seller was also a tuner. As soon as I commented about that odd vibration/distortion, he said "Oh, yes, you're totally right, it sounds like an object vibrating inside the piano, I should call the yamaha customer service to come and check it".

It seems very odd to me that Yamaha builds such an expensive instrument with such an obvious problem, so I refuse to believe that it's a general fault in the model. Do you guys know about any default configuration that could be the reason why the sound has this problem? Some kind of resonance option or something like that? 785 owners, anything to say about this? I'm really interested in that keyboard, but if it doesn't come with the right sound, I'm afraid I'll have to let it go as if it was a toxic ex-girlfriend after a traumatic break up.

Thanks guys.

L
L
I don't have a single problem with mine.
Could the vibration come from a quick but bad assembly of the piano ?
I mean some crews of the cabinet or the loudspeakerbox not fully turned in ?

C
OP Offline
C
I don't think so. It sounds like a physical object vibrating, but the effect comes from the speaker, it's a defective sound. It could be a badly assembled membrane, glue not properly applied or something similar, but 2 out of 2 pianos and same speaker in both... Too much of a coincidence in my opinion. No clue. I had a cheap Casio keyboard when I was a kid, with very simple and low-fi samples, and there are similarities, so I'm not sure what to blame. I know it can't be a sampling problem so I'm tempted to say it's an issue with the speakers if the configuration is right.

R
R
I have a CLP785 and the sound is incredible. No issue such as you say so it could be a faulty unit? Also you say you've been waiting for the CLP785 for 2 years but it was only released 6 months or so ago. Are you sure it is definitely the flagship Clavinova you are referring to?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Perhaps Yamaha should have teamed up with Onkyo for better speakers? smile

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

CLP-785 has a reputation of having great speaker system. Likely candamil has a defective piece - worth contacting dealer and having a technician take a look.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Should I have said Radio Shack instead of Onkyo? smile
Originally Posted by Osho
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
CLP-785 has a reputation of having great speaker system. Likely candamil has a defective piece - worth contacting dealer and having a technician take a look.

L
L
Owned other cabinet pianos and stage piano's with PA speaker systems (Electrovoice, QSC) and many more studiomonitors ( Yamaha HS7,8, MSP5, Focal Alpha 7 and 8, Shape 6, Neumann KH120 and 80, you name it...) Nothing comes close to the superb speakersystem of the 785 (maybe 775).Nothing.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by ryanb741
I have a CLP785 and the sound is incredible. No issue such as you say so it could be a faulty unit? Also you say you've been waiting for the CLP785 for 2 years but it was only released 6 months or so ago. Are you sure it is definitely the flagship Clavinova you are referring to?

Yup, I had been waiting for it way before its release, when the specs were just a rumour. I'd like you all guys to be able to listen to the problem but unfortunately it doesn't come up when recording it with a phone or something crappy like that, it's too subtle... If I can't find a unit without that problem to have some peace of mind, I guess I'll get a kawai CA-99...

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
The Kawai CA99 isn't free of issues too.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Beowulf
The Kawai CA99 isn't free of issues too.
Well that sounds interesting. I haven't checked it in depth yet, but since you mention it, which problems can I expect to find in that one?

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
This thread should provide you with a bit of insight.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Beowulf
This thread should provide you with a bit of insight.
That's going to be very useful. Thank you.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Should I have said Radio Shack instead of Onkyo? smile

Only after you invent the time-machine!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
R
R
We have a vintage Edison 1900 Gramophone with a huge floral speaker-horn sitting in the same room as our CLP-685. Somewhere close to middle "C" it will resonate the horn like crazy. It took us a couple of days to figure out where the resonance was coming from!

M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I get my 785 tomorrow i will let you know how mine sounds OP

A
A
This isn't probably what you're hearing, but have you tried disabling VRM? Another might be if you have the sheet stand lowered, that creates a vibrating sound too (nevermind on the 785 though).

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a trouble-free Garritan CFX computer!
by Gombessa - 04/21/21 08:12 PM
Which one do you like - ABRSM vs RCM??
by Pikka - 04/21/21 06:35 PM
Sauter o Bechstein
by Luis Miguel - 04/21/21 05:57 PM
Pricing information for new Steinway/Yamaha?
by lct14558 - 04/21/21 04:10 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,453
Posts3,085,089
Members101,266
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission