2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (CaseyVancouver, Akaitsuki, brdwyguy, Buzz209, 36251, c++, 10 invisible), 518 guests, and 451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rocdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi everyone,
N00b here, but thought this was a question for this forum rather than the adult beginners one. I have a Yamaha Arius 164 digital piano - very happy with it for my level, although with every day of improvement I find myself looking at a Clavinova... But that's for a different discussion. Anyway, for a lot of my electronics, particularly where a sound amplifier is involved, I have been taught to leave them on rather than turn them on and off, as it's likely to prolong their life. Does this apply here? This piano comes with a default auto-power-off, but has an easy way to turn that off right at the beginning of the manual. How do you handle yours? Keep it on, at least for an entire day if you might pop over to play for a few minutes here and there, or turn it off and back on every time?
Thanks

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Normally we don't encourage cross-posting across forums, but try posting this in the Digital forum. Different crowd hangs out there.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Good question. We'll see what people say - but I suspect you will get more informed responses if you post in the Digital Forum.

R
rocdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you both. Didn't realize that, and yes, probably a better place for it. Any chance a moderator is reading this and can move the post? It would avoid annoying cross-posting.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
The short answer is that if the product is from a quality supplier (such as Yamaha) you should have no need to worry about leaving its power settings at their default values. And it will help to save the planet by wasting less energy :-)

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Gwing, is that true for high-quality hi-fi amplifiers and such equipment? I leave my audiolab amplifier on permanently, but maybe I don't need to?

Rocdoc, it usually seems easier in this sort of situation for you to just open a new thread on the other forum. I wouldn't worry about it. (Besides, the readership of the two forums is rather different, so you might get more answers if you have two threads!)

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by David-G
Gwing, is that true for high-quality hi-fi amplifiers and such equipment? I leave my audiolab amplifier on permanently, but maybe I don't need to?

Rocdoc, it usually seems easier in this sort of situation for you to just open a new thread on the other forum. I wouldn't worry about it. (Besides, the readership of the two forums is rather different, so you might get more answers if you have two threads!)

Well, for the purposes of this discussion manufacturers of "high-quality hi-fi amplifiers" aren't always the sort of competent industry giants producing rock solid electronics for the masses that Yamaha are. Often they are cottage industries making really interesting amps but of dubious reliability - at the extreme something like the DIY valve amps I once designed and built :-)

Audiolab were always pretty solid designs even back in the bad old days, although I dimly recall that Audiolab specifically recommended that their amps were left permanently on (not that I owned one myself). Hi-fi amps are a bit of an exception as they sometimes have massive capacitors that need charging and discharging with each power cycle and they often aren't/weren't what you might describe as competently designed and robust consumer electronics.

My guess is that you are probably absolutely fine turning your Audiolab off. Provided you leave it at least 30 seconds after power down before switching it back on again and it may take a time to warm up again and sound at its best as well. My knowledge of Audiolabs is old though - if yours is more recent then I'm sure things have improved and you can power it off like any other bit of proper modern electronics (except those that come from China by the back door).

Last edited by gwing; 02/25/21 01:43 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks Gwing! My audiolab amplifier is not exactly recent! I was kindly given it by a friend when my previous amplifier (Technics I think?) died, about 2012 perhaps, and she would have had it for ten years or so perhaps? So, maybe about 20 years old.

R
rocdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I cross posted, hope it doesn't give me bad citizenship marks.
gwing, that's kind of why I'm asking. My Quad solid state amp, with its large power supply and capacitors, has been on (except for power outages) since I acquired it in 2009 or so, and it seems to still sound more beautiful every day. I strongly doubt that the amp in this digital piano is the same kind of creature, so it's likely not a very relevant choice - probably not making a huge difference in life of the unit either way, but I thought I'd ask.
Thanks

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Well, since this thread is already here, I'll chime in, for better or worse. smile

On my Casio Privia PX310 digital, I leave the transformer plugged in all the time, but the power button off, unless I'm playing the piano. I know the power supply/transformer still consumes some current when the device is not on (probably not much), but it's just a habit to leave it (power supply) plugged in.

Same with my keyboard amp and PA system. I leave them off, unless in use.

On my desk-top computer, I leave it on all the time, and put it in sleep mode over night, or it goes in sleep mode automatically after a few hours on non-use. I do restart it on occasion, or when prompted due to updates.

Now, my acoustic piano are left "on" all the time, and ready for play... smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Mine have been left on for years. I've changed the piano twice and suffered a few power cuts on occasions. I knock it off when I go on holiday, supposing I remember to.
No issues, and the Planet is still here . . . . . My wife however, switches the music-light off at night. Bless her . . . .

Last edited by peterws; 02/25/21 02:38 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Turn off your electronics when not in use. Unplug them during storms, when on holiday, during known issues with the grid.

Online Content
I turn it on in the morning, turn it off at night before I go to bed. Probably doesn't matter one way or the other, but I always figure that the first thing to go on an electronic device will be the on/off button.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
I in addition to these care cited, I turn all the devices (keyboard, mixer, preamp and amplifier) in a line filter, and this filter on a stabilizer of 1000W that is who is who is connected to the electrical network.

And this stabilizer as the line filter and all other appliances will only be connected in a sequence from the stabilizer by the power button one at a time when using the equipment.

Better be safe than sorry.

Hugs to all.

Rajane.

Last edited by RAJANE; 02/25/21 04:18 PM.

Yamaha MOX8
Editing.

I in addition to these care cited, I turn all the devices (keyboard, mixer, preamp and amplifier) in a line filter, and this filter on a stabilizer of 1000W that is who is connected to the electrical network.

And this stabilizer as the line filter and all other appliances will only be connected in a sequence starting from the stabilizer by the power button one at a time when using the equipment.

Better be safe than sorry.

Hugs to all.

Rajane.

Yamaha MOX8
The old me: The piano uses 68 watts. That's only as much as a light bulb. We leave lights running a lot, so why not leave the piano on?

The new me: The piano uses 68 watts. That's more than five LED lamps! Best turn off the piano when not in use.

The future me (maybe): I'm tired of this piano. So I'll leave it turned on. Maybe I'll get lucky and a lightning strike will destroy its electronics. Insurance will pay for a replacement piano, and I'll put the money toward my N1X.

Unfortunately in some places both laws and power companies do not work optimally.

And being lucky enough to find the equipment we'd like to be available on the market is almost a miracle, that's in normal times.

In times of pandemic the miracle is duplicated.

Therefore, we only have the exaggeration in the security measures to maintain the integrity of the equipment we have until the new upgrade reaches our hands.

Hugs to all.

Rajane.

Yamaha MOX8
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
And what exactly is the question here?

If a device is meant to be ‘on’ all the time then why bother with an ‘off’ switch.

My fridge is meant to be ‘on’ all the time; hence, no ‘off’ button/switch.

Is it too much of a hassle to toggle the switch off at night?

For god’s sake, even we, humans, have to power-down at night or else risk dying very young (20s max).

P
P
Solid state amps require time to warm up, otherwise they can sound harder than normal in the upper midrange where our ears are the most sensitive. For many it can take quite a while. Like hours. This is for audiophiles, not average listeners, who are listening on precisely set up speakers for 1 person to a room, sitting in one position only with their ears at the same height all the time otherwise soundstaging is off. When you do things like this and use high quality sources like good moving coil cartridges with high gain preamps into low noise/high sensitivity power amps and speakers that are efficient enough you get enough output without needing a steup device for the cartridge resulting in far better sound and you hear far more detail. I know it sounds ludicrous and it probably is.

Tube amps don't have this problem. So most audiophiles leave their solid state preamp, D/A converter, power amp, etc, on all the time.

As for your keyboard, turn it off and save electricity. If you care about the sound you'd pick a sample you like and run it into a high quality D/A converter and power amp and good speakers, skipping all the cheap sampling and digital to analogue conversion and power amp and speakers in your present piano. But the sound from your piano is probably just fine for your needs. But when it isn't.....:)

Last edited by pworld; 02/25/21 05:08 PM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
My van needs time to warm up; are you suggesting I leave it ‘on’ all the time?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ringing overtones on certain notes
by Will M - 04/17/21 07:25 PM
Young Chang U-121 Age and Price
by sansandreas - 04/17/21 06:59 PM
A detailed review for Pianoteq 7 Pro
by TheodorN - 04/17/21 06:50 PM
Question about Grand Piano dynamics range?
by Jojovan - 04/17/21 06:45 PM
Innie/Outtie Blues 2
by Dfrankjazz - 04/17/21 05:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,361
Posts3,083,606
Members101,223
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission