2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (AndyP, antune, 36251, beeboss, Chouca, c++, AprilE, Charles Cohen, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 526 guests, and 437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3086245 02/24/21 12:38 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi everyone,

There was already a thread about this from a year ago but I wonder if, with time, people have had a chance to compare the 2. I am playing with VSL's CFX's full library at the moment and it's really great. I usually dislike Yamahas in general, find them too metallic with not enough roundness and wood in the sound but as a VST, it's really great. The problem is it's more than double the price of the Garritan's!!! Is it worth it? There's no way to demo the Garritan and to me that's the only way to tell so that's why I'm asking you!
I've tried all of VSL's grands and to my surprise, the Yamaha is the one I like playing the most, yes, even compared to the latest 280VC, which I find too muddy in the medium register. I suspect using the Diskclavier to record the samples had something to do with the Yamaha feeling so natural and responsive.
Please help! I'm close to the return period and the online demos aren't enough.
So I guess my question is: which one has the most realistic sound and which one is the most "playable" in either a live or a recording setting, which one feels like the real deal?
Thank you
Roger

Last edited by Roger Rabbit; 02/24/21 12:38 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Roger Rabbit
Hi everyone,
So I guess my question is: which one has the most realistic sound and which one is the most "playable" in either a live or a recording setting, which one feels like the real deal?
Thank you
Roger

I know you're looking for opinions, but it's really only your opinion that's going to matter. I've had both the VSL CFX and Garritan CFX and would find myself playing the VSL more. The VSL CFX seemed to have a greater dynamic range, less room ambiance if you wanted (spacious reverb is baked into Garritan whether you like it or not), and generally a more customizable sound.

However, take that for what it's worth, which is probably not much because I love the new VSL 280VC. smile

So you and I don't have the same taste. This is the problem you're going to encounter with opinions.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you, David. That does help, indeed. Looking forward to hearing from other people as well.

Cheers,

Roger

C
C
I only have the standard CFX library from VSL, but I also have Garritan full and Noire, so I'm well stocked for CFXs!

All of them are excellent, and when I first got Garritan I thought I'd never need another piano VI (it was my first CFX). I could easily have Garritan as my only piano VI but since I got the VSL version it's *always* the first one I load up. If the cost isn't prohibitive for you, I'd get the VSL. You'll have seen from the thread I started that I'm not sure how much the full version of the VSL adds over the standard in the case of the CFX because there's only one additional close mic, so comparing the price of Garritan full vs. VSL standard brings them a smidge closer, especially if you buy via a reseller (e.g., BestService) and are eligible for the educational discount.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Are use the Garritan with its close up mic and all the reverb turned off. I blend in the abbey Road ambience mic also in tandem. I don’t agree with the statement that reverb is baked in, it is not. The “Player” close mic is dry near field and warm. The “Classic” mic which it seems almost everybody but me prefers is not my favorite. It sounds like a piano in a large hall 30 feet away, not for me. The playability is really good on the Garritan. I like the clarity of the VSL but it sounds steely to me compared to the warmth of the Garritan. I’m sure I would like it too as I have done a lot of listening to it.

Last edited by RinTin; 02/24/21 03:43 PM.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present).
Kawai ES110. Mason & Hamlin acoustic.
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you CraiginNZ and RinTin. Very helpful comments. I hate that I can't sample it! It's like buying a car without trying it first!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Innie/Outtie Blues 2
by Dfrankjazz - 04/17/21 05:38 PM
Soundboard Speakers
by Vikendios - 04/17/21 05:25 PM
Suggestions for a 3.5mm > 3.5mm Cable
by mmathew - 04/17/21 05:09 PM
Playing by ear v Reading sheet music
by LarryShone - 04/17/21 04:20 PM
Why do used Baldwins seemed to sell for less than...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 04:00 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,357
Posts3,083,576
Members101,223
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission