2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (Adem, Baltguy, brdwyguy, anotherscott, 36251, David Boyce, CHAS, 12 invisible), 650 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I think sb is right generally it has to be described in relation to a grand. I don't think an acoustic upright behaves by requiring your finger to completely lift off the key to repeat a note, any note, all the time; it just needs to be lifted much higher than is required on a grand. And if you are performing a fast trill, you don't need to lift your fingers high at all, the bounce of the hammer allows the repetition from a lower position.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro, Kawai NV-10
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11
L
L
I've just got the NV5 and I'm facing the same issue. This is quite strange, I know it's not supposed to be like a grand, but having to release 100% is not normal, we can see easily on youtube videos upright pianos that don't require a total release to repeat the note. Here is how it looks like.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Luiz Filho
but having to release 100% is not normal, we can see easily on youtube videos upright pianos that don't require a total release to repeat the note. Here is how it looks like.
My acoustic upright has to be released 100% (or 99.9%) to repeat the note, otherwise the mechanics don't fall in place to do the repetition.

Last edited by johan d; 02/23/21 02:39 PM.
L
L
Here is a video that shows that with proper regulation you can repeat without releasing completely

PS. The video is not English but we can get what he means.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A worn out unmaintained upright piano might have a "deadzone" with the key going down almost half the way, before the action does anything, but that's not a mark of of a well regulated piano.

Yamaha P-515
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by JoeT
A worn out unmaintained upright piano might have a "deadzone" with the key going down almost half the way, before the action does anything, but that's not a mark of of a well regulated piano.

+1. Having a "dead zone" can make it seem like double-repetition, but in reality you're just trading off immediate action engagement for less travel and velocity. Luiz, IMHO your video looks pretty normal, and because of the way the NV5 senses hammer motion, it's accurately representing when the hammer would hit the string.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro, Kawai NV-10
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Hmmm...on my older NU1, with key sensors only, I can repeat a note before the key fully returns to the top. I don't have access to an acoustic upright to compare. I was under the impression that the Millenium 3 upright action on an acoustic upright had improvements to aid repetition.

On your NV5 does the key (jack) block until the key is fully released, or put another way can you tell if the hammer gets thrown at some point before the key returns? I would have thought it could be regulated so that the key does not have to return all the way for the jack to reset, but then how that works with the sensors I have no idea.

L
L
I think JoeT and Gombessa are correct, I've just found a video that shows the piano is not supposed to have that deadzone. So it looks like my NV5 is actually well regulated. I think I'll just have to get used to that.

Last edited by Luiz Filho; 02/23/21 05:42 PM.
M
M
IMHO this is how most uprights would react. At least that's my experience - perhaps on high end, well regulated uprights you wouldn't have this issue, someone more knowledgeable can perhaps confirm.

Since the NV5 has an upright action, this all seem correct (and one of the reasons why I prefer the NV10' grand action).

I post piano stuff on my instagram page --> https://www.instagram.com/marchelune smile
I own an old Roland FP-4, looking for a hybrid piano to upgrade to!

Current work: Chopin, Ballade no 1
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Luiz Filho
I think JoeT and Gombessa are correct, I've just found a video that shows the piano is not supposed to have that deadzone. So it looks like my NV5 is actually well regulated. I think I'll just have to get used to that.
I'm not clear on what you are referring to here, given your original video and as you yourself stated: on a well regulated upright action you do NOT have to let the key release (return to the top) before being able to repeat the note again.

Sure the key has to return most of the way, more so than on a grand action, but not all the way. If it does have to then regulation can improve it. This regulation concerns behaviour of the jack; how that relates to the optical sensors on the NV5 is another matter, one for the specs and design of the NV5. Something to look out for I think if considering purchase of an NV5 in the absence of clarification by Kawai.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Good Ear Wanted--Lip-Synching
?

by J Joe Townley - 05/22/22 01:03 PM
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Lack of motivation
by Josephine83 - 05/22/22 05:03 AM
Cliburn Amateur concerto list
by computerpro3 - 05/22/22 12:00 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,178
Posts3,193,585
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission