2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hello,

I am buying a Stieff Baby Grand from the 1930s and will be moving it myself from afar. Does anyone have an idea if the legs are likely attached via a flathead vs philips vs hex vs star bolt?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When in doubt, bring every tool you can think of. If someone here says it’s a flathead because that’s what was invented back then, you will show up and find that someone replaced them with hexed bolts at some point for whatever reason.

No one here can tell you what is on that piano, even if someone here has one, because anything could have been done to that piano in the past 90 years.

Can you ask someone who is at the piano?

Good luck!

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree with bringing multiple tools. Probably a hex-head bolt fastener on the legs of the older Stieff. Could be a large Philips or flat head screw fastener, but not likely a star/torx tip.

Some grand pianos have a locking metal plate coupler holding the legs on, and you'd need a rubber hammer to separate the leg plate from the frame plate to remove the legs. If there are no bolt/screw type fasteners on the legs, it has the locking metal plate coupler, most likely.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
If you do not know the variety of ways that grand piano legs are fastened, you should not be moving it.

Semipro Tech
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by BDB
If you do not know the variety of ways that grand piano legs are fastened, you should not be moving it.

Yes, this a million times over. You could seriously hurt yourself and also the piano. Pianos are *very* heavy.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by twocats
Originally Posted by BDB

Yes, this a million times over. You could seriously hurt yourself and also the piano. Pianos are *very* heavy.
But what about all the YouTube videos that show people how to do it? laugh laugh laugh

YouTube-Certified Piano Mover (TM)

I do music stuffs

Current:
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
Originally Posted by BDB

But what about all the YouTube videos that show people how to do it? laugh laugh laugh

Well, I was kind a thinking along the same lines...

That said, we all interpret what someone says in different ways. Some here view the OP's question as evidence he doesn't know what he is doing. I view the OP's question as evidence he is pretty bright, and trying to do their homework and gather information, so they can accomplish what they want to accomplish.

If new member's can't come here and ask questions, (without being belittled or berated) there is really no need for this forum...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
Originally Posted by BDB

Well, I was kind a thinking along the same lines...

That said, we all interpret what someone says in different ways. Some here view the OP's question as evidence he doesn't know what he is doing. I view the OP's question as evidence he is pretty bright, and trying to do their homework and gather information, so they can accomplish what they want to accomplish.

If new member's can't come here and ask questions, (without being belittled or berated) there is really no need for this forum...

Rick
I totally agree. That is why I try to help where I can (although a lot of people get on my case about it, suggesting that to the OP "if you need to ask, don't do it"). I have learned a lot from asking things on various forums. I do all my own home remodeling for example, and I have friends who are pros who say they couldn't do it any better. I don't see why this can't apply to piano, in some cases, but not all cases.

Maybe the OP knows how to lift things. Maybe they and a buddy move gun safes, for example, so they know what to do; they just need to know what tools to bring for a 200, 400, 1000km trip to the piano where there are no real movers.

I do music stuffs

Current:
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
B
BDB Offline
B
Even professional piano movers will look at the situation before committing to moving a piano if they are not sure.

Many old pianos do not have any screws that need to be removed to take off the legs.

Semipro Tech
D
OP Offline
D
Rick, thanks for that info. I haven't dealt with such an old piano and wanted to be prepared for such things

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member

One thing that happens on a lot of forums, and that fortunately tends not to happen here, is for regulars to harshly scold newbies and demand that they use the search feature. That's bad advice on any forum, IMO, although some have curated FAQs and first-timer threads which can help. But generally forums are just free form information, and an unqualified search is just as likely to lead to bad information as to good.

That said, newbies should be, and feel, welcome.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member

I agree with this. Human nature seems to be to program "you can't do that" into ourselves. Then we project it onto others, and it gets programmed into them. Parents into children. Bosses into employees. Lather rinse repeat...

If some people weren't curious enough to dream and think outside the box and depart from the status quo, then I guess we'd still be hunter gatherers.

Good thing for all of us that Cristofori dreamed of a harpsichord that could play both loud and soft. I wonder how many people told him, "you can't do that!"

If the OP was like: "Come help me move a grand piano. Beer's on me!" Well, then I'd be worried. Rushing in headstrong would be a mistake. Asking methodical questions that indicate he's been giving it a lot of thought don't worry me as much.

With a grand, what would worry me more than removing the legs is properly rotating and lowering the piano onto a dolly or whatever the piano will be moved on. But if the OP is worried about removing the legs, then I assume he's already considered those things. In the large though, and in descending order, I'd be worried about 1) hurting someone, 2) damaging someone's property, and 3) damaging the piano.

I say the above having never moved a grand piano, so those are the concerns that might keep me from trying it.

FWIW, I moved a console piano largely by myself last summer. I had a little help at the previous owner's house, but at my end I unloaded it from a trailer it and moved it into the garage alone. It wasn't bad but I was pretty sore the next day. About a month later I moved it up three steps and into the house on my own, and that wasn't as difficult, partly because I worked a little smarter and less harder (as the saying goes).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have moved several pianos. I had no prior experience but I did have a lot of experience moveing even heavier items. I also had a certain amount of useful equipment. So it can be done.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When my wife and I lived in rural Ohio, we had to drag my Kawai console onto the moving truck because no movers wanted to drive all the way out to where we were living to set the piano on a truck, even though I offered to pay more as though they were doing the full move.

So, we had two friends come over to help us. Well, one of the friends, even though she knew she was going to help move a piano, showed up in a tiny miniskirt and tiny tank top, so she was more or less useless, so THREE of us had to drag a piano onto the truck.

Being a console, the wheels were decoration only, we were all stick skinny unathletic people, just the three of us, the piano was a bit wider than the ramp for the truck, and so on. I think it took us two hours to get that piano up the ramp and onto the truck with no equipment. It almost dumped off the side until miniskirt gal stupidly put herself behind the tipping piano to hold it.

We were so young and dumb. Good thing YouTube didn't exist yet or we would have gone viral, I am sure.

Now-a-days, I have my wife convinced that pianos need to be moved by pros, period, no matter what piano or how short the distance. I will move my piano around the house, though, as it's on studio casters and all that, but nothing more than that.

(My neighbors recently bought a spinet off Craigslist, and they had some friends come move it out of a MINIVAN. Even that was scary to watch. I didn't record them. That would have been creepy and rude, albeit entertaining.)

I do music stuffs

Current:
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission