2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Excellent article on Chick's life on Ethan Iverson's webpage.....

Link to article on Chick's life:

N
N
Ain't gonna fly either, but you would have liked. Man you're squatting too much shelve space in people's place, come on, return to forever, why not "live forever", "free lunch" or "love for real" while you're there, well now you see, too good to be true, eh!! Generosity? Come on, generosity of "his tunes" mostly, not at all generous to play always your own, it had to stop, good!

I guess you could say he was ok as a pianist, not the worst at least, and as all the things they say about him well, maybe he was nice, maybe he wasn't, you could hardly say watching his so numerous videos on pankora tv, always the same dull advice, basically "when there's a problem in your fingers, you fix it and that's done", I think it's quite the hype, and now it's too late to check it out.

Is there anything in his music that could go back to the beginning and shed some light onto the human being he might have been? Not sure, it all sounds so mechanical, so rhetorical in the playing, little to no idea at all, a few Spanish scents and the dreadful envy of something with joy, isn't a little too simplistic to call it art? And oftentimes poorly done. What I'd have to say about this man, he was a musician, now he's gone, too bad well, that's life!

No but I mean, what kind of advice are these, I mean, give the money back!
https://youtu.be/YfG1P0nm2v8
https://youtu.be/yfoxdFHG7Cw
https://youtu.be/no9UErT-m-k

To your skull!

N
N

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by NotaBene
Ain't gonna fly either, but you would have liked. Man you're squatting too much shelve space in people's place, come on, return to forever, why not "live forever", "free lunch" or "love for real" while you're there, well now you see, too good to be true, eh!! Generosity? Come on, generosity of "his tunes" mostly, not at all generous to play always your own, it had to stop, good!

I guess you could say he was ok as a pianist, not the worst at least, and as all the things they say about him well, maybe he was nice, maybe he wasn't, you could hardly say watching his so numerous videos on pankora tv, always the same dull advice, basically "when there's a problem in your fingers, you fix it and that's done", I think it's quite the hype, and now it's too late to check it out.

Is there anything in his music that could go back to the beginning and shed some light onto the human being he might have been? Not sure, it all sounds so mechanical, so rhetorical in the playing, little to no idea at all, a few Spanish scents and the dreadful envy of something with joy, isn't a little too simplistic to call it art? And oftentimes poorly done. What I'd have to say about this man, he was a musician, now he's gone, too bad well, that's life!

No but I mean, what kind of advice are these, I mean, give the money back!
https://youtu.be/YfG1P0nm2v8
https://youtu.be/yfoxdFHG7Cw
https://youtu.be/no9UErT-m-k

To your skull!
It just says something to me; however, I have already gone through this and it is no longer a mystery. For beginners, especially those brought up in the police tradition of classical music education, these are just words in a fog ...

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Hi NotaBene

I think you're just a troll. But even if you're not you're entitled to your opinion.

However if his death means little to you, then clearly music isn't very important in your life. I suspect your opinion comes from envy, and some strange dislike of people who are famous.

Far more talented people than you (or me) say that Chick Corea was a great musician. That includes a number of professional Jazz Pianists who regularly post on this forum. I value their opinions..... yours, well I'm keeping this polite.

He dedicated his life to music and contrary to your very strange observation that "it's too late to check it out", he left a huge legacy of recorded music, much of which he wrote, that we can all enjoy.

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Simon_b
Far more talented people than you (or me) say that Chick Corea was a great musician.

... Which does not automatically mean that he was a great jazz teacher. I attended one of his lectures; as well as a masterclass by Joe Farrell; in the first case, it was a disappointment; in the second, JF simply chose to play instead of explaining (but how !!!) And they gave me chance to join him.

Nahum #3084989 02/21/21 07:34 AM
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Nahum
It just says something to me;
This refers to the first video from the NotaBene post.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Nahum

I've watched some of the clips NotaBene posted and found them quite interesting.
However I bow to your experience in that regard.
That said, I never mentioned his ability as a teacher in my previous reply.
That's not what he's best known for.

My reply was in reference to him being "ok as a pianist" and apparently having writing nothing of any note. I think most people would find both those views very strange indeed.

But it's just opinion in the end, and if NotaBene genuinely doesn't appreciate Chick Corea's playing and his writing he's entitled to hold that view. Nothing I, or anyone else says will change it. We all like and dislike different things.

My suspicion is though, that he's just posting to be provocative.
I never understand that.

Attention seeking I suppose....

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

N
N

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Hi NotaBene

Thanks for posting, I've never seen this particular video before.

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Chick Corea had tremendous musical charisma and was a creative volcano, playing with sounds and phonisms, like a child playing with cubes. This is the subtext of the mentioned video. However, very, very many adult academic musicians flee the opportunity to become a child again - this is not solid and beneath their dignity.
I am confident, and experience has shown that the release of personal intonation and rhythm, which children do without the slightest effort, instantly builds bridges right into improvisation.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A pretty ok hours worth of documentary with Chick in the studio rehearsing.
In the mind of a master

N
N

J
jjo Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
NotaBene: In a discussion thread that is a tribute to a man who recently passed away, I find your initial post, and the follow up posts, which, I assume, are to illustrate Chick's terrible teaching, in your view, reflect a stunning lack of grace and class.

N
N

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
NotaBene, thanks for the wonderful links, but how does your post confirm this?

jjo #3085349 02/22/21 03:42 AM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jjo
NotaBene: In a discussion thread that is a tribute to a man who recently passed away, I find your initial post, and the follow up posts, which, I assume, are to illustrate Chick's terrible teaching, in your view, reflect a stunning lack of grace and class.

The same stunning lack of grace and class when NB posted about Chick Corea

N
N

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
videos
NotaBene, excuse me; but after looking at a lot of your posts on this site, I got the impression that your competence in piano construction significantly exceeds your competence in jazz.

Last edited by Nahum; 02/22/21 04:23 AM.
N
N

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission