2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (24000rpm, claburo, antune, Animisha, cfhosford, brdwyguy, clothearednincompo, ando, 18 invisible), 607 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 61 of 62 1 2 59 60 61 62
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I was looking for Solfeggio in C Minor, and RCM 8 piece, and came across the following channel. Thought it might be of interest to this group. She has a fair amount of recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LisaTahara/about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlPC4hMazk

Thanks again bSharp(C)yclist.

Of all the times I searched Youtube for performances of RCM material, I have never come across her. I'm very glad you provided this info because I really like her style of playing. I think I prefer her renditions to some of the other teacher Youtube channels that I've come across, in terms of actually playing and quality of video and sound. (Aside: I'm only judging by the RCM 2 pieces she plays, because that's what's relevant to me at the moment, so take whatever I said with a grain of salt.)

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 10/22/20 10:27 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Yea, she has a calm and relaxing style of playing. I skimmed through some non RCM stuff. She has some performance pieces out there as well. I thought the following was creative. I hadn't seen a split screen like this before.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
That is rather creative!

Kawai K-500
S
S
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I was looking for Solfeggio in C Minor, and RCM 8 piece, and came across the following channel. Thought it might be of interest to this group. She has a fair amount of recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LisaTahara/about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlPC4hMazk

Thanks again bSharp(C)yclist.

Of all the times I searched Youtube for performances of RCM material, I have never come across her. I'm very glad you provided this info because I really like her style of playing. I think I prefer her renditions to some of the other teacher Youtube channels that I've come across, in terms of actually playing and quality of video and sound. (Aside: I'm only judging by the RCM 2 pieces she plays, because that's what's relevant to me at the moment, so take whatever I said with a grain of salt.)

Sweet! I did not notice she had RCM Material.

She only has list A so far.

I hope she does List A, B & C eventually of every level.

Anyone else doing exams?

I am hoping to do level 2 exam in April. My teacher suggest to skip level 1 exam and go straight to level 2.

So this will be my first exam.

Last edited by Snowstorm; 10/22/20 01:26 PM.
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Snowstorm
Sweet! I did not notice she had RCM Material.

She only has list A so far.

I hope she does List A, B & C eventually of every level.

Anyone else doing exams?

I am hoping to do level 2 exam in April. My teacher suggest to skip level 1 exam and go straight to level 2.

So this will be my first exam.

According to a note in the description of the video I saw, she does requests.

Welcome to the RCM exam world!

Yes, I do exams. My very first and most recent one was Prep B, completed in January 2020. I had planned to do Level 1 in August 2020, but I decided to skip that one because the exams moved online. My plan is to do exams again when we are able to do them in person, whenever that will be (Lord please let it be some time in 2021). That means it might be my Level 2 exam or Level 3.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 10/22/20 02:24 PM.

Kawai K-500
S
S

Yes, I do exams. My very first and most recent one was Prep B, completed in January 2020. I had planned to do Level 1 in August 2020, but I decided to skip that one because the exams moved online. My plan is to do exams again when we are able to do them in person, whenever that will be (Lord please let it be some time in 2021). That means it might be my Level 2 exam or Level 3.

I personally do not mind doing exams online, especially for the beginner levels.

Maybe for intermediate and advance I may change my mind.

Last edited by Snowstorm; 10/22/20 03:16 PM.
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Snowstorm

I personally do not mind doing exams online, especially for the beginner levels.

Maybe for intermediate and advance I may change my mind.

I have heard first-hand horror stories, so I'm not keen on doing online exams.

I enjoy online lessons though, but that's different.

Kawai K-500
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Just finished RCM Level 8 Theory exam. RCM only has up to level 8 online. I started a level 5 November 2019. I found them challenging. I liked it could all be done online. I have been taking lessons for about 6 and a half years. I did have my piano teacher as a resource to answer my questions, I had also bought the theory books. The online apps for each level of theory is recommended which was very helpful in practice. Having a teacher available to answer questions was extremely helpful. I am 60, just did this for the challenge and personal knowledge. Each level was $179 and you have a year to complete it. For those that want to add a theory component I found it beneficial because you had to study to pass the level exam and it forced me to know the material well to pass.

deb

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
DFSRN #3083326 02/16/21 11:55 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Just finished RCM Level 8 Theory exam. RCM only has up to level 8 online. I started a level 5 November 2019. I found them challenging. I liked it could all be done online. I have been taking lessons for about 6 and a half years. I did have my piano teacher as a resource to answer my questions, I had also bought the theory books. The online apps for each level of theory is recommended which was very helpful in practice. Having a teacher available to answer questions was extremely helpful. I am 60, just did this for the challenge and personal knowledge. Each level was $179 and you have a year to complete it. For those that want to add a theory component I found it beneficial because you had to study to pass the level exam and it forced me to know the material well to pass.

deb

Wow, congrats Deb! What an accomplishment.

Please remind me, did you also do level 6 and 7?

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 02/17/21 12:01 AM.

Kawai K-500
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
congratulations Deb and so good you had a good teacher to get you through. I signed up for the AMEB equivalent last month and I try to study the course most days. Its a challenge all right, although thankfully there is a lot of rote learning as well.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
A very big congratulations to you Deb. So glad to hear you've studied, and mastered level 8. The journey to achieve that goal is so rewarding.

[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Congrats, Deb!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
J
J
Hello all. First post. Took ABRSM Grade 2 at the end of last year, after four months of tuition and about an hour a day practice, resulting in a distinction.... just! 130 ;-)

I've had a 25 year absence from piano; learnt via Suzuki method as a child for 4 or 5 years but then stopped. I am picking it back up as an adult as a hobby... but also as a potential future job. I am an actor/singer, but also teach acting in some drama colleges as a side hustle. I want to be able to add piano to my skill base, so that I can teach singing and accompany singers as part of my teaching. My goal is to get to Grade 8 by my early 40s, if not 40... which is about 5 years time. Realistic? Who knows, but that's my goal.

To anyone reading who is unsure about the Grading system; for me, it's a yes. There are many pro's; incremental advances through material/pieces, gradual learning of key signatures and scales/arpeg., and a steady increase in sight-reading difficulty.
Con's? Not sure. Have read that it doesn't include a very wide range of material, and it is biased towards classical.

My answer to the con's? So far, it's been to just cover more material. The ABRSM piece books for example: the exams only ask you to perform one from each section. But I have been playing through the other two in each section from the book too. The new syllabus includes up to ten pieces in each list... that's 30 pieces per grade! Plenty to get on with!

Currently working towards my Grade 3... sight reading much more than I did with Grade 2, and trying to keep eyes on the page even for my pieces. I very much want to be a pianist with good reading and sight-reading skills for when I can accompany singers in the future.

Anyway - will be back with plenty of questions soon as I progress I'm sure! All the best

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jeremy Taylor
Hello all. First post. Took ABRSM Grade 2 at the end of last year, after four months of tuition and about an hour a day practice, resulting in a distinction.... just! 130 ;-)

I've had a 25 year absence from piano; learnt via Suzuki method as a child for 4 or 5 years but then stopped. I am picking it back up as an adult as a hobby... but also as a potential future job. I am an actor/singer, but also teach acting in some drama colleges as a side hustle. I want to be able to add piano to my skill base, so that I can teach singing and accompany singers as part of my teaching. My goal is to get to Grade 8 by my early 40s, if not 40... which is about 5 years time. Realistic? Who knows, but that's my goal.

To anyone reading who is unsure about the Grading system; for me, it's a yes. There are many pro's; incremental advances through material/pieces, gradual learning of key signatures and scales/arpeg., and a steady increase in sight-reading difficulty.
Con's? Not sure. Have read that it doesn't include a very wide range of material, and it is biased towards classical.

My answer to the con's? So far, it's been to just cover more material. The ABRSM piece books for example: the exams only ask you to perform one from each section. But I have been playing through the other two in each section from the book too. The new syllabus includes up to ten pieces in each list... that's 30 pieces per grade! Plenty to get on with!

Currently working towards my Grade 3... sight reading much more than I did with Grade 2, and trying to keep eyes on the page even for my pieces. I very much want to be a pianist with good reading and sight-reading skills for when I can accompany singers in the future.

Anyway - will be back with plenty of questions soon as I progress I'm sure! All the best

Jeremy, welcome to the forum and to this thread!

Congrats on your exam!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 02/17/21 12:24 PM.

Kawai K-500
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Well done and good luck Jeremy

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Yes, I started at level 5. This July will be my 7th year of piano lessons. During that time I had taken theory as well, so starting on level 5 was some new and some review items. What helped was the apps, which are available for IPAD, so I actually bought the IPAD with the intent to take RCM theory and use the apps. Apps were 1.99 each and there are 8 apps for each level of theory. Each level has 8 units. I had also bought the RCM theory books. I have to say I learned a lot. Having to study to pass the exam, I was more focused. Due to COVID it took awhile to get the certificates, I received 5 - 7 today. Having a teacher helped me a lot, it would have been difficult especially at the higher levels of theory. The test are timed, for the level 8, final was 98 questions and timed for 60 minutes so you had to study not just to know it, but answer it fast as well and move on. You do not need all this theory for piano, for me it was a personal challenge. I believe level 5 may be the first one online offered. What is nice about the online, you do not have to go anywhere to take a test, everything is right there. I asked RCM about level 9 and 10, currently those are not offered online. If they are, I would consider those, but otherwise level 8 is it for me. Each level was $179 and you have one year to complete. It took me about 15 months to complete 5 - 8 levels. I see there is a music history course, if it was $179 I think it would be fun, however I think it is $599 and at that price it is not worth it for me. I am 60 and just doing this for a hobby.

Deb
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Jeremy, it is good to set goals, if you need to adjust you will, it is something to aim for. I do not have any plans to take piano exams, I'm too nervous to play in front of people, I only play for family. Theory exams is it for me. However, I truly admire people who can just sit and play for people. What nice aspirations to have.

Deb

Deb
DFSRN #3084714 02/20/21 01:25 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Yes, I started at level 5. This July will be my 7th year of piano lessons. During that time I had taken theory as well, so starting on level 5 was some new and some review items. What helped was the apps, which are available for IPAD, so I actually bought the IPAD with the intent to take RCM theory and use the apps. Apps were 1.99 each and there are 8 apps for each level of theory. Each level has 8 units. I had also bought the RCM theory books. I have to say I learned a lot. Having to study to pass the exam, I was more focused. Due to COVID it took awhile to get the certificates, I received 5 - 7 today. Having a teacher helped me a lot, it would have been difficult especially at the higher levels of theory. The test are timed, for the level 8, final was 98 questions and timed for 60 minutes so you had to study not just to know it, but answer it fast as well and move on. You do not need all this theory for piano, for me it was a personal challenge. I believe level 5 may be the first one online offered. What is nice about the online, you do not have to go anywhere to take a test, everything is right there. I asked RCM about level 9 and 10, currently those are not offered online. If they are, I would consider those, but otherwise level 8 is it for me. Each level was $179 and you have one year to complete. It took me about 15 months to complete 5 - 8 levels. I see there is a music history course, if it was $179 I think it would be fun, however I think it is $599 and at that price it is not worth it for me. I am 60 and just doing this for a hobby.

Deb, thanks for your detailed response. I will be following in your footsteps and doing all the theory, at least up to grade 8. Not right away but eventually. I’m learning a couple of instruments at the moment in addition to piano, all following the RCM curriculum and the theory is required for all of them so it just makes sense for me to do them.

I do have a teacher to help me so that’s a bonus. Although I’m really rather scared of the limited time to do the actual exam. It seems like they give you so little time to complete it. 98 questions in 60 minutes!!! cursing I don’t even know if I can read that fast.

I also think $179/level is reasonable. The prices for the higher grades are prohibitive IMHO but I guess they figure only potential professional musicians would do those grades anyway. But I heard higher grades are actually “essay” exams and need to be marked by expensive human labour. I wonder if that’s true. I should ask my teacher.

I also heard the jump between 8 and 9 is steep for the practical exam material. I also wonder if that is true for the theory component.

Kawai K-500
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
WeakLeftHand, when I called RCM about levels 9 and 10 asking about online, I was informed it is more analysis type and currently there is no plans to put those on line. The music history class was $499 not $599, looked that up yesterday. I had bought some CDs used on Ebay from the Great Courses on music and enjoyed those on the way to work. Listened to several sets on music history. You can also buy those used on Amazon. Robert Greenburg does a great job and made the 45 minute ride to work go fast.

Deb
DFSRN #3085100 02/21/21 12:46 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
WeakLeftHand, when I called RCM about levels 9 and 10 asking about online, I was informed it is more analysis type and currently there is no plans to put those on line. The music history class was $499 not $599, looked that up yesterday. I had bought some CDs used on Ebay from the Great Courses on music and enjoyed those on the way to work. Listened to several sets on music history. You can also buy those used on Amazon. Robert Greenburg does a great job and made the 45 minute ride to work go fast.

I see. Thanks for the info.

Kawai K-500
Page 61 of 62 1 2 59 60 61 62

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,395
Posts3,084,097
Members101,239
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission