2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (Charles Cohen, anotherscott, c++, DHarris, DaveX, Carey, EinLudov, Emily2Lame, 12 invisible), 547 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, OK, I agree with the last one, I think I know some posers too. But the rest of the opinions is just too vague and controversial. (I edited my previous post and added something in that regard). But as I said, I agree partially regarding the snobbery of some people. Although I’ve seen more of these in jazz.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
F
F
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Well, OK, I agree with the last one, I think I know some posers too. But the rest of the opinions is just too vague and controversial. (I edited my previous post and added something in that regard). But as I said, I agree partially regarding the snobbery of some people. Although I’ve seen more of these in jazz.

I get the feeling that this happens in almost any genre. The snobbery in Hip-Hop for example can be quite intense. People identify strongly with the music they listen to and see any critique on the music as a critique of their personality. Or something like this, but in my experience there is always a group of people that looks down on other genres of music in any genre of music.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by chopinetto
I think Baroque and Classical era music is inherently less expressive than Romantic music. I'm not saying the earlier styles were not beautiful, or that they could not communicate certain feelings in some way. Obviously they could, but the Romantics did it better. Nothing Bach or Mozart ever did can make me feel, so palpably, the tragedy contained in, say, the doppio movimento in Chopin Op. 48/1 (Rubinstein's being unequaled).

This is your personal view. In my own personal view, I find that baroque and classical music in general speaks to me with more immediacy and depth than does Romantic music. (There are exceptions, of course - in particular, Berlioz.) I find that nowhere in music do I find more tragedy - actually tragedy is the wrong word, let us say that nowhere in music do I find more immense and unconsolable sadness - than in the operas of Mozart and of Handel (and of Berlioz).

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by FloRi89
In this case the only really unpopular opinion would be "I enjoy classical music", because that would put you into a small minority..
I beg to differ (actually, I never beg - I demand).

The only really unpopular opinion would be "I can't stand pop music". I use it to bring an end to 'conversations' where the other person believes that he/she has all the interesting things to say, and keeps interrupting others to tell them of their own experience (whether it's wrestling with pangolins, or eating anacondas' livers with fava beans and a glass of chianti) which is, of course, far more interesting than what the person who actually started the subject has to say, before he/she has even said it.

Here in the UK, politicians already know for several decades that a certain death knell for their political career would be to attend Die Zäuberflote at Glyndebourne (unless they are heavily disguised with a powdered wig and dark Elton sunglasses), whereas by associating themselves with the latest pop "artiste", especially shaking hands with them on TV and professing their dying love for their latest 'song' (which BTW was written by a team of songwriters in Sweden who write songs to order) accompanied by lots of gyrations on the obligatory video, they would instantly be perceived as "electable" because they know what the public wants (which is most definitely not classical music). So, you'd never get a career politician to admit that he actually prefers Mozart to all that current pop and hiphop rubbish. (After he's retired from politics, yes....)

As everyone here knows, I'm the very opposite of an extroverted and garrulous socialite, so I like to disengage myself from boring conversations before they've started by saying that I hate pop music. No need even to profess my dying love for Mozart - people will immediately make their excuses and move away from me swiftly before I can even say "Ebola".......... whistle grin

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
F
F
Originally Posted by bennevis
Here in the UK, politicians already know for several decades that a certain death knell for their political career would be to attend Die Zäuberflote at Glyndebourne (unless they are heavily disguised with a powdered wig and dark Elton sunglasses)

Wouldn't that make it quite unpopular though?

Beethoven's late sonatas are the most deepest piano music of all time.

Originally Posted by 24000rpm
Beethoven's late sonatas are the most deepest piano music of all time.
I think that's a pretty popular opinion!

Or at least one that would be viewed admirably.

B
BDB Offline
B
I do not think so. The deepest piano music is at the bottom of my pile of music!

Semipro Tech
BDB #3084430 02/19/21 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by BDB
I do not think so. The deepest piano music is at the bottom of my pile of music!

So, that makes it perhaps 'unpopular' music for you to play, but not an unpopular opinion what he said! smile

B
B
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by BDB

So, that makes it perhaps 'unpopular' music for you to play, but not an unpopular opinion what he said! smile
That means I jumped into Beethoven at the deep end, because the first Beethoven sonata I learnt with my teacher was Op.110.

However, I've had swimming lessons as a kid, so I floated to the surface......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
D
D
I am ready to anger more folks:

1. Schumann is overrated and I find Mendelssohn's piano repertoire to be much more interesting.
2. Learning "passagework" is better done via Classical era repertoire than dull repetition of technical exercises.
3. One is never "too young" or "not qualified" to learn a piece of music (i.e. late Beethoven) if they love it and are willing to let the piece mature with them.

S
S
The "Schumann is overrated" thing is one of the earliest and longest-running subjects in this thread...I think most have already weighed-in on that one.

Maybe this is unpopular, but I think thinking that Schumann is overrated is overrated. grin

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Maybe this is unpopular, but I think thinking that Schumann is overrated is overrated. grin
Thinking thinking Schumman is overrated is overrated is overrated. smile

Online Content
Originally Posted by D959
I am ready to anger more folks:

1. Schumann is overrated and I find Mendelssohn's piano repertoire to be much more interesting.
Shucks - you're just saying that because you know the opposite it true.

2. Learning "passagework" is better done via Classical era repertoire than dull repetition of technical exercises.
Now THAT is true !!!

3. One is never "too young" or "not qualified" to learn a piece of music (i.e. late Beethoven) if they love it and are willing to let the piece mature with them.
The piece itself is mature. We're the ones who need to grow into it.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Physical tension can be good.
Physical tension is necessary.
Playing through pain is sometimes the right thing to do.
To play fast, you must play fast.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
R
R
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Physical tension can be good.
Physical tension is necessary.
Playing through pain is sometimes the right thing to do.
To play fast, you must play fast.
Wow. Care to explain? The only one I agree with is that to play fast, you must play fast.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Vaughn Williams is great.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The two symphonies of William Walton are among the best symphonies ever. Walton is massively underrated.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Ubu #3084576 02/20/21 06:14 AM
well, when I started, pretty much my only goal, or say ,95% of my goal is to play all of bach's keyboard work. I personally think all others piano works are , to quote somebody else so that I don't have to put flame suite on, "trash". Of course, I don't think they are trash, but unmatched to Bach's. talk about relativity.

Originally Posted by Ubu
I don't know if has been proposed. But there's mine: Chopin music is to easy to grasp and is what uneducated people listens when they want to pose as connoisseurs. Music appreciation being in general an acquired taste, Chopin music is the easiest to acquire. Maybe that's the reason why some complete piano beginners have this unique goal of playing certain Chopin piece. You don't see any begginer saying: my only goal about piano is playing Bach's art of fugue or Ravel's valses.

Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Classical Style Lead Sheets
by Qazsedcft - 04/23/21 10:42 AM
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,488
Posts3,085,736
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission