2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Working backwards again - some excellent performances!

21. JustinDAggie - Song Without Words, "Passion" (Agitato) Op. 38 No. 5 This one is not easy - well done! And those cuffs on your pants are blinding me!

22. Maira713 - Egyptian Ballet Dance This is excellent for just one month. Welcome to the recitals! Can't wait to hear your progress in the next one.

23. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Summer Evening Waltz Op. 1 I understand what you are saying - sounds like a silent movie soundtrack - the villain and the heroine. Also sounds like a lot of fun to play!

24. vte - Character piece Op 46 No 12 This is not familiar either - very intriguing. Thanks for playing it! Well done!

25. Snejana - August Sun A nice modern feel - a bit more varied than Einaudi, which is a good thing. Loved it!

26. JB_PW (Jen) - Gedenkblatt, Op 138 No 7 I don't think I have heard this one before - very nice and well done!

27. dumka1 - Nocturne Op. 9 no. 2 I have avoided this just for the reason that it so played so ofter. Maybe you have inspired me to rethink that. Loved it!

28. QuasiUnaFantasia - Five piano pieces op. 3,5: "Alfedans" I need to explore more of Neilsen, and also Gade. They both seem like interesting composers. Thanks for playing this - well done!

29. jamiecw - Douce Reverie: No.21 from Album pour infants Op.39 Excellent job bringing out the melody in the different hands - loved it!

30. rwsavory - Les Barricades Mysterieuses This one is on my bucket list - someday... Well done!

31. Purrblast - Little Prelude in E Major (BWV 937) New baby? Learn some lullabies! Loved the prelude - very rhythmic and just the right mood!

32. PikaPianist - Valse Lente Anoterh wonderful piece - and performance. Love your playing and your videos!

33. ShiroKuro - September Song So this is the famous Ffrench everybody is talking about. Well done and elegant. Loved it!

34. Peter Hontaru - Traumerei One of my favorites - very well done!

More to come,
Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

[b]09. peterws - Jesu joy

I ejoyed this. Do you improv when playing it, or do you read from sheet music?

Sheet music, amended somewhat (organ to piano) and basically memorised.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
A
Some new comments from today's listen:

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No.2 I think I had only heard the 1st Gnossiene before. This was beautiful. Great playing. I think the tempo you chose fitted the piece quite nicely.

08. KevinM - Sonata in C Major, Second Movement K545 Lovely playing! I think you did great. This one is a beautiful sonata. Looking forward to hear your rendition of the first movement in a future opportunity smile

17. psyche23 (Edwin) - Forgotten Melodies 1, Op. 38 No. 8 'Alla Reminiscenza' Great to see some Medtner around here. I discovered him some months ago but have not yet heard the entire Op. 38, this piece included. So thanks for showing more of his compositions through your amazing playing. I think you did great, I have heard your recording several times. You played with tempo and dynamics so nicely. Bravo!

18. Ted Jones - Temporal Lobe Vortex (conclusion) I noticed a lot of tension and drama in your improvisation. Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing it.

27. dumka1 - Nocturne Op. 9 no. 2 Good job dumka1. Your version is indeed a tiny bit faster than usual but I think it worked quite well, it never felt rushed IMO. I did not know this piece was considered overplayed. Anyway, it does not take away its beauty or the fact that it is a great composition. So as long as one enjoys it, why not go on and learn it smile. Lovely!

28. QuasiUnaFantasia - Five piano pieces op. 3,5: "Alfedans" Thank you for showing us some new music. This was as a lovely piece and beautifully played.

37. Rachtoven - Chopin Preludes 7 and 20 Very nice couple of preludes. I think they are such gems, and you played both beautifully. The 7th is one of my favorites, it just has such a gorgeous melody. The 20th has so much emotion. Lovely playing! I truly enjoyed your contribution to the recital.

38. winterflower - Light through the Trees This piece was beautiful. Perfect for finishing a tough day at work. I think that the title suited the piece perfectly. You played it very good too. Thank you for sharing.

47. AssociateX (Liz) - Nocturne Op. 48 # 1 in C minor Props to you for embarking in such a hard piece! This is probably my favorite nocturne. I think I must listen to it on a daily basis and never get tired of it. As you mention, some sections still need some polishing but I hope you keep working on it and show us a newer version of it soon smile Specially the doppio movimento still needs some work. Good progress overall smile

48. Piano_Primo - Winter Light Lovely piece and great playing. Thank you very much for sharing it in this recital.

Inspired adult beginner, melomaniac
M&H Model 50 (Dumbo), Kawai CA49. Previously: Sabel S123 (Tucan)
What I have been learning
PW Listening Party
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I had the opportunity to listen to just a couple of pieces and I loved them!

06. Ganddalf - Nocturno
Just lovely! Thank you for presenting this piece; new composer for me.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No.2
Very beautiful. I love those Satie pieces. It was very emotive, great mood music. Bravo!

16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Nocturne Op 62 No 1
Beautiful, Ellen, both audio and video. Absolutely perfect!

33. ShiroKuro - September Song
That was a beautiful and reflective piece, and I loved it!! It inspired me to read up on the composer. Thanks for sharing!

36. barbaram - Evgeni's Waltz
Quite a pretty tune, enjoyed it!

44. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Piano Sonata No. 8 (Pathetique), II. Adagio cantabile
Very nicely played, Dan, liked it.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by AndresVel
Some more comments :

45. Zoe - Tantalizing Tango Zoe, it is great you decided to join us for the recitals this time! You have been very enthusiastic on the 40 PYC thread, it had to happen! smile I loved this Tango piece. I do not know if you have ever danced Tango before but it is a very sensual dance, and this has to be very well transmitted by the music itself. The main Tango theme on your piece (appears around 0:25) should carry that feeling and allow the dancing to start. Think of the introduction as a coming closer/enticing part before starting to dance. I really liked how you prepared that entry and switch up the melody, I could imagine a set of steps to that piece lol. Sorry, I like dancing and got carried away commenting. Lovely playing! Do not forget to add it to the 40 PYC.

AndresVel, Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. It has been a really great experience joining in the recital and I will certainly do so again (and would encourage others to do so also!). I am in search of a beautiful piece that I can start working on. As for the tango, I must say no, I have never danced the tango (I wish I could!) but I love the music and enjoy watching dancers do this dance. It is very beautiful. Thanks for the reminder to add to the 40 PYC thread. I do that after a few more comments on more pieces.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Thanks for all the wonderful comments on my piece folks. It has been a truly great experience joining in my first recital. Again, thank you to all, I have so much enjoyed listening to all the pieces most of which I have not heard before. Wonderful playing and amazing array of musical styles. Here are some more comments from me:

11. pianist685 (Constantin) - Ragtime Nightingale Constantin, just wow! I loved this piece. It was very fun and engaging

12. Rich D. - The Sunken Cathedral Rich, this was just so wonderful to listen to. I really started imagining the cathedral rising and then submerging once again.

13. Tim Adrianson - Eight Variations on "Shalom Chaverim" Tim, this was very interesting. I loved all the contrasting styles. And the drama! I can just imagine how fun this is to play!

14. Ruth CM - Of Foreign Lands and People (Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1) Ruth, this is one of my all time favorite pieces that I can never tire of listening to. It was wonderful. I have tried it a long while ago and hope to again one day. By the way, good for you for continuing to play with all the demands of children! Definitely be sure to keep some 'me' time!

15. navindra (Navindra Umanee) - Gymnopedie No. 1 Navindra, this is very nicely done. Amazing considering the short time you have been playing. I enjoying the playing and the recording alot.

16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Nocturne Op 62 No 1 Ellen, this proved to be a both a wonderful sonic and visual escape from my day. I felt like I was watching a movie.

17. psyche23 (Edwin) - Forgotten Melodies 1, Op. 38 No. 8 'Alla Reminiscenza' Edwin, this was so wonderful to listen to. I really liked your recording too! Thanks for sharing.

18. Ted Jones - Temporal Lobe Vortex (conclusion) Ted, very very interesting. I wish I could improv and just play for the heart or from whatever I may be feeling that day. Maybe one day.

19. selfishplayer - Nocturne Op. 32 No. 2 in A-flat Major Selfishplayer, I am not at the level to be able to give technical feedback but I thought it sounded very nice.

20. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road Serge88, I really really enjoyed this. You did it so well. I liked how you learned the piece and added your own things to it. Nice.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
Some more comments :

45. Zoe - Tantalizing Tango Zoe, it is great you decided to join us for the recitals this time! You have been very enthusiastic on the 40 PYC thread, it had to happen! smile I loved this Tango piece. I do not know if you have ever danced Tango before but it is a very sensual dance, and this has to be very well transmitted by the music itself. The main Tango theme on your piece (appears around 0:25) should carry that feeling and allow the dancing to start. Think of the introduction as a coming closer/enticing part before starting to dance. I really liked how you prepared that entry and switch up the melody, I could imagine a set of steps to that piece lol. Sorry, I like dancing and got carried away commenting. Lovely playing! Do not forget to add it to the 40 PYC.

AndresVel, Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. It has been a really great experience joining in the recital and I will certainly do so again (and would encourage others to do so also!). I am in search of a beautiful piece that I can start working on. As for the tango, I must say no, I have never danced the tango (I wish I could!) but I love the music and enjoy watching dancers do this dance. It is very beautiful. Thanks for the reminder to add to the 40 PYC thread. I do that after a few more comments on more pieces.

Hi ZoeCalgary, I remember hearing your piece and liking it. It was sexy. thumb

I liked a lot of the pieces I heard. Facdo, flybgabet (sp?), and several others who always share something human and pleasant. Thank you all.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
20. Serge88- Well played. - it's a favorite song.for me and it brought back a-lot of memories . .The acoustic piano hit the spot.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
18. Ted Jones - Temporal Lobe Vortex (conclusion) I noticed a lot of tension and drama in your improvisation. Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for listening. I hear that often and from many people but it is hard to imagine a personality less tense and dramatic than mine. I am much closer to a placid pig than a wretched Socrates in everyday life so it is just a conjuring trick, but then music is all about illusion anyway isn't it ?

Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
18. Ted Jones - Temporal Lobe Vortex (conclusion) Ted, very very interesting. I wish I could improv and just play for the heart or from whatever I may be feeling that day. Maybe one day.

Pleased you like it. Why not try it, commencing with a few minutes every day ? Once the habit is established the results might surprise you.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Nocturne Op 62 No 1 Ellen, that was simply superb. I enjoyed your video very much, too.

17. psyche23 (Edwin) - Forgotten Melodies 1, Op. 38 No. 8 'Alla Reminiscenza' Those polyrhythms were intriguing … An amazing piece, and a stunning performance. Thank you!

18. Ted Jones - Temporal Lobe Vortex (conclusion) I always look forward to your abstract, impressionistic Recital submissions Ted, and I wasn’t disappointed - take a bow!

19. selfishplayer - Nocturne Op. 32 No. 2 in A-flat major Chopin is out of my league so I can’t offer technical advice but that was quite a feat played completely from memory. Well done.

20. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road I enjoyed your video and your Beatles cover. Interesting that you learned it from Youtube - I’m old enough still to be astonished by what the internet has made possible (ABF Recitals included)! smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
16. Pianogrlnw- Ellen, beautiful playing. Very light and sensitive.

17. psyche23- It's always such a treat to not only hear a piece you have never heard before but to hear it played so well.

43. Sam- I'm going through these so slowly I figured I had better jump ahead to some of my favorites... Sam, always a pleasure to hear your Mendelssohn. This was a real treat.

44. bsharp Cyclist- Wow Dan, awesome playing. Really well done.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
A few more from me:

14. Ruth CM - Of Foreign Lands and People (Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1)
Very nice performance

15. navindra (Navindra Umanee) - Gymnopedie No. 1
I love this piece, and enjoyed your version of it

16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Nocturne Op 62 No 1
Gorgeous, and the video is really lovely too

17. psyche23 (Edwin) - Forgotten Melodies 1, Op. 38 No. 8 'Alla Reminiscenza'
8:3 polyrhythms sound terrifying! Lovely piece, beautifully played

18. Ted Jones - Temporal Lobe Vortex (conclusion)
Lots of drama and variety

19. selfishplayer - Nocturne Op. 32 No. 2 in A-flat Major
Lovely, I really enjoyed this

20. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road
Very nice

21. JustinDAggie - Song Without Words, "Passion" (Agitato) Op. 38 No. 5
Ooh, terrific, you created a great atmosphere with this

22. Maira713 - Egyptian Ballet Dance
Well done, great to have you in our recital gang!

23. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Summer Evening Waltz Op. 1
“Evening Waltz at the Amusement Park Funhouse”, I love it smile It does have a creepy fairground feel, I agree. It’s great though, I love the energy and verve
I could imagine it on the soundtrack of a Tim Burton movie with cute/creepy animation
One of my favourites in this recital

[Linked Image]
31 Purrblast

Very classy. Sounded steady as she blows. Lovely plying and sound!

32 Pika Pianist

So melodious. There are loads of composers out there we never hear. One less now; Your piano sings.

33 ShiroKuro

Doesn't sound too jazzy to me. A bit repetitive but nice playing from yourself!

34 Peter Hontaru

You did well there. A lovely piece, most of us will know well from the past. Great to hear it again, and you do a super job!

35 Jason Lenthe

Nice piece o' music, lively rendition. Your pano seems suited to such, as indeed, you do!

36 Barbaram

Some good stuff here. I guess it'd make for a decent movie theme, but it certainly sounded decent here. Very.

37 Rachtoven

Two contrasting pieces! Afer the second, you might have to re-tune your piano. Great job on these.

38 Winterflower

Rather strange, nebulous feel to this. I think it also fits the mood nicely, and the PTq Bluthner gives it it's own flavour. Doesn't sound too easy, but very intersting nonetheless.

39 Mossoti

Doesn't sound like a struggle to me. Very lively in a busy way, and a great finish! I enjoyed that little piece.

40 Greta 99

Germany! The home of so many of the finest! This tinkles it's way effortlessy across your keyboard. You have a light sensitive touch which is quite magical, with touches of expresssion to lubricate the whole. Lovely!

A few more yet! Time for a coffee . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MarieJ
18. Ted Jones - Temporal Lobe Vortex (conclusion) I always look forward to your abstract, impressionistic Recital submissions Ted, and I wasn’t disappointed - take a bow!

Pleased you like them, thanks for listening.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
A
A
Here my last set of comments. Thanks everyone for submitting such lovely pieces. It was a delight to listen to all your submissions. Thank you Sam again for putting this all together.

09. peterws - Jesu joy Another beautiful Bach piece in this recital. That was a beautiful arrangement and I enjoyed your playing very much. Thank you for sharing. I am now intrigued which piece you intended to submit in the first place. Maybe for the next recital?

10. wouter79 - op.45 sailor's song (n.14) and sternness (n.12) I think you succeeded at making the etudes very musical, so they do not sound just as plain exercises. I think you also did very good bringing out the melody in the second one. Now I am thinking on tackling them myself (I like etudes :P). Very good job smile

19. selfishplayer - Nocturne Op. 32 No. 2 in A-flat Major I think you are being too hard on yourself. I actually think you did a very good job and phrased the melody beautifully overall. I could maybe notice you rushed in some spots, specially in the middle section, but I would for sure love to hear a future version of this. Keep the hard work smile

20. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road Great playing! Good job as well with the video. I liked your overhead shots. Thanks for sharing.

29. jamiecw - Douce Reverie: No.21 from Album pour infants Op.39 Great job Jamie! I think you nailed this. Beautiful playing. You added so many subtle details that it made an outstanding recording at the end. I had to listen to it many times. Bravo!

30. rwsavory - Les Barricades Mysterieuses Yes, some Couperin around here. I discovered his works last year when exploring baroque music, although I do not recall having listened to this particular piece before. I liked your playing very much. Bravo smile

39. Mosotti - Etude in A minor, Op. 27 No. 3 This was lovely. You put a smile on my face. First, I like a lot the Op. 27 and 39 of Kabalevsky. They are beautiful pieces and you did great with this etude. And secondly, it fitted perfectly in your video. Thanks for sharing. I hope your back is better now.

40. Greta99 - Gai Printemps, Impromptu, Op. 11 no. 1 Greta, yours is my very last piece to listen to from this recital and what a finish! First of all, thank you for introducing me to another female composer I did not know of. I have said it before, I think your playing is great and you have an amazing touch. Your phrasing and dynamics were on point with this one. Bravo smile

49. Calavera - Title Back (Bland Logo) Man if this is a work in progress, my pieces are then just scribbles haha This sounded amazing to me. You have outstanding control on dynamics. This piece built up pretty rapidly and I liked it a lot. Thanks for sharing music that I otherwise would never get the chance to listen to.

Last edited by AndresVel; 02/19/21 05:05 PM.

Inspired adult beginner, melomaniac
M&H Model 50 (Dumbo), Kawai CA49. Previously: Sabel S123 (Tucan)
What I have been learning
PW Listening Party
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
19. Selfishplayer- Don't worry, we all have problems playing. You did a great job!

20. Serge88- Very Cool!! OK... how did you hang the camera for that overhead? smile

21. JustinD- A very big WOW!! Excellent playing and a very warm youtube vid. Bravo!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
22. Maira22- Very nice. I love the Egyptian theme.

23. sma55- Shepard, I really loved this. The piece is fantastic and your playing...well, just great. You really sound like you were enjoying yourself.

24. vte- You have only been playing one year? Seriously? Dude, you need to get yourself a better piano or a better way to record... you are very good.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
25. Snejana- Who was that masked man? Rick Roberson? Great piece! Unique. And you really did it well!!!

26. JB-PW- Well done Jen!

27. dumka1. Overplay it all you want, i will love it over and over. Chopin was the epotome of "piano". Don't you love those high notes at the end? Well done!

28. Quasiunafantasia- Wow, revelation! I have never heard these before. Very intriguing. Well done!!

29. jamiecw- No, this sounds like "C"...the way things will be. Well played.

30. rwsavory- You struggled a bit here and there but over all a great job!

31. purrblast- Yea baby! I needed some Bach! He was the man. smile Great job!! Seriously!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
32. pikapianist. A very "commanding" performance. Bravo!

33. ShiroKuro-
Are you kidding? That sounded very finished. Just beautiful! (Tiny screen and all)

34. Peter. Always a winner! There is just something about this piece..... Well done.

35. Jason- You got me foot tapping big time. Great!!

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
21. JustinDAggie - Song Without Words, "Passion" (Agitato) Op. 38 No. 5 That Song Without Words looked super-difficult to me - well done, Justin!

22. Maira713 - Egyptian Ballet Dance Welcome to the Recitals, and congratulations on taking part so very early in your piano journey. That was a terrific achievement for only one month!

23. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Summer Evening Waltz Op. 1 There HAS to be story behind this piece! It was fun to listen to, Shepherd - and an accomplished performance, as always.

24. vte - Character piece Op 46 No 12 Wonderful progress after just a year! I wonder whether recording direct from the PX870, rather with the iPad, would produce a clearer sound?

25. Snejana - August Sun I love pieces that ‘sound more sophisticated and challenging than they are’, so I’ll check out this unfamiliar composer. August Sun obviously wasn’t one of the above - I enjoyed your sparkling rendition.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission