2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, butchkoch, CaseyVancouver, c++, accordeur, anotherscott, brdwyguy, Bostonmoores, 10 invisible), 491 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
When I said "incredibly naive" I was trying to put it as gently as possible. I could have described it much more negatively. Despite what so many have said you just don't understand and are unwilling to accept advice.

Have you missed his new thread? He had his second lesson with his teacher and they agreed on a learning plan.
And you'll never guess what it is...... grin

Do we need to get another bucket of popcorn? smile

NO! He has a teacher and he has directions from that teacher. Enough said.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by pablobear
Goal is.

Be comfortable in all 24 keys be able to play across all octaves in a comfortable manner.
Have an understanding of piano technique to the point where I can be aware of tension while I play and be able to fix it, come up with fingerings that make sense w/ my hand, be comfortable playing piano/forte at will to a decent leve, and have good posture

Be able to play a good bit of czerny etudes/exercises, and continue to improve at sightreading..

Fully understand fundamentals of music theory.

Then... I will go into rep, starting with very easy stuff. If my process works, I should be able to learn easy pieces like 1-2 a day if I work hard. Then, I just progressively start doing more difficult stuff and I'll get to a level where I can play Rach/Scriabin..

If you think this method is incredibly naive, and re-inventive then okay. We will see my friend. smile
When I said "incredibly naive" I was trying to put it as gently as possible. I could have described it much more negatively. Despite what so many have said you just don't understand and are unwilling to accept advice.

Have you missed his new thread? He had his second lesson with his teacher and they agreed on a learning plan.
What was the plan? My guess is it's not what he has been espousing all along.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

Here's the plan:

The plan

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 02/19/21 03:05 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Online Content
Go to the new thread and you'll see.......
smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Sebs
Originally Posted by pablobear
Goal is.

Be comfortable in all 24 keys be able to play across all octaves in a comfortable manner.
Have an understanding of piano technique to the point where I can be aware of tension while I play and be able to fix it, come up with fingerings that make sense w/ my hand, be comfortable playing piano/forte at will to a decent leve, and have good posture

Be able to play a good bit of czerny etudes/exercises, and continue to improve at sightreading..

Fully understand fundamentals of music theory.

Then... I will go into rep, starting with very easy stuff. If my process works, I should be able to learn easy pieces like 1-2 a day if I work hard. Then, I just progressively start doing more difficult stuff and I'll get to a level where I can play Rach/Scriabin..

If you think this method is incredibly naive, and re-inventive then okay. We will see my friend. smile

It's probably a big part of the process for many, just accepting advice or accepting that it is in fact, a very slow and long process/journey. I can't tell you how many pieces I started and didn't finish. I will also add I can do a lot of advanced technique and it does not translate directly to pieces 100%. For example, I can do advanced technique such as ABRSM Grade 6+ but then a Grade 1 piece still takes me a week to learn. What I'm getting at is I think it's good to play a lot of pieces at your level and slowly build. But I'm also a begginner just saying I think I burned so much time on technique and I also love it so that's probably why.
I think you are on your way.

Working on:
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
Online Content
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

Here's the plan:

The plan
Even the "plan" is confused. He firsts talks about learning just technical material and then says maybe "next week" he'll start learning rep. A beginner just starting to learn scales who thinks he knows how piano should be taught.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/19/21 03:29 PM.
B
B
The plan:

I feel that I know what works best for me.....

Just went to my 2nd lesson with new teacher...

We are going the route that I want to go and we focused heavily on technique and tension and I learned A LOT more about playing relaxed and I can't wait to apply it...

Some things we talked about were:

Dead fish, an exercise for tension, talked about touching keys lightly but making big sound, minimize unnecessary motion, dribbling tennis ball to make loose/dead fish, and posture related stuff.

He said for rep he may assign me some czerny or just etude stuff, he said I will enjoy more technical studies and he will try and find some stuff for me.

What the goal is for next lesson is doing: a-maj hands together 2 octave, aminor scales, a-maj contrary motion, c arpeggio, and he said also work through D, F, G, and E scales as well.

My veteran teacher friend I mentioned in another thread would have nodded her head knowingly thumb wow.

A leopard never changes its spots. Nor a zebra its stripes.

But, as I've said more times than I can remember (my old age is affecting my memory), it's all good......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
R
R
I don't see what's wrong with his post. He said he wanted to focus on technique and it appears that the teacher gave him some good advice. If the teacher is good, he/she won't neglect other aspects of playing the piano.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Doesn’t this need to stop being discussed? The OP went to a teacher for lessons. As if their second lesson, they agreed on a learning plan. Shouldn’t that be the end of this???

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Online Content
Doesn’t this need to stop being discussed? The OP went to a teacher for lessons. As if their second lesson, they agreed on a learning plan. Shouldn’t that be the end of this???
I agree - let's stop offering advice and making assumptions about the "plan" and simply let the OP work with his new teacher to learn to play - however they wish to proceed. He can come back here in 2-3 months and share his progress.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Editing Solo Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 04/18/21 07:42 PM
Borgato speaks about piano craft
by VladK - 04/18/21 07:14 PM
Modernised classics.
by treefrog - 04/18/21 06:39 PM
Brahms Hungarian Dance #5
by Works1 - 04/18/21 05:57 PM
Recommendations on interesting YouTube lectures?
by ZigZagStory - 04/18/21 05:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,383
Posts3,083,938
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission