2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (Charles Cohen, antune, c++, Alex Hutor, CianistAndPomposer, astrotoy, CharlesXX, anotherscott, ABull, 9 invisible), 497 guests, and 467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
VMK Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hello my friends.

I've reached to a conclusion that either one of there models is all I need to get busy with.
Please let me know your experience if you have used these models and which one do you suggest.

Yamaha DGX 660
Casio PX 560

As for my background... Im a pianist for over 20 years. I do have an acoustic piano but want to record, save and have fun with my works.

Thank you..
Have a great day

Varand

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Casio possibly has the slightly better key action. But I think the DGX-660 is a very versatile and potentially enjoyable thing to own. Do you sing? You can play/sing (with effects) and record on it. For the piano purist the Casio probably edges it (if you like their piano sound (I don't personally)), but in other respects I think the Yamaha is probably the more 'entertaining' product.

V
VMK Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Sometimes I sing... but I have in mind to plug the microphone on my native american flutes and add on my playing.

Well, the PX-560 is almost twice as much as the DGX-660.

The keyboards are very similar in that they have a wide range of sounds, recording and educational features, but also have a realistic hammer action and piano tones. So they're like hybrids between a digital piano and an arranger keyboard.

I'd definitely go with the PX-560. It beats the DGX-660 almost in every aspect. It has a 5.3" color touchscreen, 650 tones, hundreds of built-in songs, accompaniment styles as well as MIDI and WAV onboard recorder. The PX-560 a ton of options for sound customization including various sound effects, acoustic simulator (damper, string resonance, hammer response, etc), pitch bend wheel, modulation wheel, 3 control knobs. etc. It also has more connectivity options and more polyphony.

I also prefer Casio's tri-sensor hammer action with Ivory/Ebony simulation over Yamaha's GHS action.

The DGX-660 also has lots of preset sounds, styles and can record MIDI and WAV files. It has lots of other fun features to play around but it's nearly not as good as the PX-560 when it comes to sound production. The PX-560 is overall a more professional instrument with much more capabilies for a variety of uses (gigs, studio, etc.)

Last edited by Oskar Costa; 10/21/17 07:40 AM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . . What microphone are you using?

Check the manuals for both models. See whether they have a built-in mic preamp (unless you have your own), and whether the "Mic In" jack is compatible with what you use.

The PX-560 (I think) allows multi-track MIDI recording and playback. And it has the synth functions of the PX5s. Very flexible machine.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
R
R
Originally Posted by VMK
Hello my friends.

I've reached to a conclusion that either one of there models is all I need to get busy with.
Please let me know your experience if you have used these models and which one do you suggest.

Yamaha DGX 660
Casio PX 560

As for my background... Im a pianist for over 20 years. I do have an acoustic piano but want to record, save and have fun with my works.

Thank you..
Have a great day

Varand

I hope you get a chance to try these in person. I suspect that you'll need to get external speakers for the Casio. The DGX 660's onboard speakers are surprisingly good. I think the Yamaha's samples are generally better, but that's a matter of personal taste that may be different for you.

Go with the Yamaha! If really Yamaha could make quality with just 12 kilos (as the dgx), don't you think they would have done so??? Else there are Yamahas that weigh 10-12 kilos with less features but focused on the important piano sounds etc. If really the weight is so important and the sound is not then just pick the Casio. I think it is overrated. It is not enough to make something weigh less if the sounds are shitty. I know this is an old thread which I happened to stumble upon. People have a brain. I suggest we use it. The only "thing" that does not infer a certain weight is spirit. A piano is no spirit but surely we can spiritually create music. But we don't pay for the weightless spirit. THat is the true portable grand that is priceless yet can not be bought. Let also spirit rule regarding your piano decision. DUe to the laws of physics then a piano weighs something and within this dominion, weight is actually a good thing, unless you are already an angel playing a weightless instrument.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/17/21 05:11 PM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
It was 3 1/2 years ago, he's probably bought something by now. ;-)

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by anotherscott
It was 3 1/2 years ago, he's probably bought something by now. ;-)

No he/she is like MacMacMac and waiting for the best deal laugh

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
hahaha. I actually was into trying the PX 560 some time ago until I read about the mechanics not being that great and the tripple sensors not really better than Yamahas dual sensors. I read the built was weak and I know Yamaha from owning 6 Digital pianos and never had even one issue with any of them. PLus when comparing the sounds with other pianos Yamaha always won. THat being said it is not that I am partial (well perhaps a bit, one probably becomes what one eats and plays) but just my experience with Yamaha as compared with other pianos, so why change what already works? HOwever the MOXF8 I owned kind of killed my creativity and freedom to play due to it's complex architecture and UI, and a rotten manual which only seemed useful once the structure and process map had been understood, which the manual did not help with. SO once again, here we are on the road again towards a new attractive model.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/18/21 04:24 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
If you can find a 660, go for it.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
TO whom were you responding: Me or the initiator? I already had the DGX660, and now have purchased the 670. HOwever just received an email postphoning the delivery with 5 more weeks. Mamma mia

I am seriously considering buying the MP7Se instead.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/18/21 10:33 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Djengis
TO whom were you responding: Me or the initiator? I already had the DGX660, and now have purchased the 670. HOwever just received an email postphoning the delivery with 5 more weeks. Mamma mia

I am seriously considering buying the MP7Se instead.

I know the posting is old, but seems to be still ongoing, so it was directed at the poster. I had the 650 which was excellent and which to some degree I still regret selling. I'd written quite a lot but forgot the press the "post reply" before exiting site.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
ALright. I had the same feeling after I exchanged the DGX 660 for the MOXF8. IN one year I produced a lot of songs and after selling the dgx only a few. But good for those synth focused and tech problem eager, to which category I don't belong, although I know it has got a lot to do with experience with synths which I did not have.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/18/21 01:08 PM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The Casio PX 560 is actually quite a good digital piano. It has more options than the 670 which is strictly a preset arranger with no real editing options. The Casio allows editing sounds rhythms and the hex layers which are beefy synth and pad sounds along with a 16 track midi sequencer and 256 polophony which is massive. This may be more features than some want but it is quite impressive and the quality of sounds is quite good. It is no slouch. The action is also heavier than the GHS yahama uses.

Ok, I haven't played it so of course it may be. I saw a cheap casio (the CDP s100)tested at Andertons with the pianist being blindfolded, while playing a piano of the Keyscape SOftware. It came in 2nd place after the Nord Grand followed by the ROland Fantom and last the Montage. SO probably the keybed is quite piano like and I remember this too from some more furniture looking model I tried (heavier). HOwever some wrote that the Triple sensors are not really that great due to the construction. ALso I don't know if heavier is necessarily good when playing many different instruments such as organs. But perhaps it's not that heavy (the keys/key action).

Is it possible that the CAsio cracked some code of creating good sound and keep down the weight (apart from using mainly plastic whereas the DGX is more robust I think)? Or are the sounds more synthetic as opposed to realistic samples? I know some say that software beats the sounds of the pianos. I don't know if they refer to virtual sounds or samplings. Is it possible to have samplings in software? I never had to consider this since I had it all onboard. I think yes that one can play sampled instruments like Steinway with software, but just a guess. THat would explain why some think the software beats onboard sounds (at least in the not most expensive models).

One question: SHOuld I rather buy the Kawai MP7se aat a good price, than those regarded in this thread? It is har deciding but the mp7se requires a SOund interface (ecternal) to record vocals whereas the DGX670 and 660 have a mic input which is very convenient. But perhaps one just needs to get used to having the SOund interface. I just think that recording everything on the keyboard is really convenient and saves one of the hazzle of always having to turn on the PC and open a daw plus create tracks (although I use some templates created for specific purposes). ALso those Casio and DGX has great arrangeroptions.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/19/21 10:29 AM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
I saw a cheap casio (the CDP s100)tested at Andertons with the pianist being blindfolded, while playing a piano of the Keyscape SOftware. It came in 2nd place after the Nord Grand followed by the ROland Fantom and last the Montage. SO probably the keybed is quite piano like and I remember this too from some more furniture looking model I tried (heavier). HOwever some wrote that the Triple sensors are not really that great due to the construction.
CDP-s100 is not triple sensor. The furniture looking model you tried probably was, though.

ALso I don't know if heavier is necessarily good when playing many different instruments such as organs. But perhaps it's not that heavy (the keys/key action).
No hammer actions are great for organ (though they are best for piano). Some are better or worse than others. The Kawai MP7 was above average, I don't know about the MP7SE. I haven't seen any hammer action board cheaper than that that is worth considering from an organ perspective. Best would be to get a second board for that regardless.

Is it possible that the CAsio cracked some code of creating good sound and keep down the weight
There's no correlation between sound and weight. Action and physical construction contribute to weight. A good sound is no heavier than a bad sound. Well, maybe by the weight of a few chips. ;-)

Or are the sounds more synthetic as opposed to realistic samples? I know some say that software beats the sounds of the pianos. I don't know if they refer to virtual sounds or samplings. Is it possible to have samplings in software? I never had to consider this since I had it all onboard. I think yes that one can play sampled instruments like Steinway with software, but just a guess. THat would explain why some think the software beats onboard sounds
Almost all piano sounds in digital keyboards are sampled. Just like most VSTs, though the sample sizes are typically smaller in the keyboards.

Thank you. I know much but some areas I haven't delved into so thank you. I never had to. Spend my time on other thing and leave it up to you guys to be the champs of this.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/19/21 05:31 PM.
I wanted to add this but my comment was out of time: I decided for the DGX670 despite I was fooled to believe that it would arrive at the beginning of march. I immediately realised this was a salesmans trick to hook me to buy despite of them being aware they would not receive the goods before April. The salesman said: "Oho I just heard in my ear piece that we have one now." SO do I feel an idiot for that? NO and I feel that this is the premise of the sales world/the world. HOwever it made me spend much time reflecting if I ought to cancel the order of the DGX in favour of the Kawai MP7se. I decided to let it be and of course now their price of the DGX had suddenly increased to 200 dollars more (not the US). Celloooo. But I did not want to attack or argue. I don't want fights, although I managed to lift 300 pounds from the ground in the shape of a sandbag (at a local arrangement/market where the strongest man participated over two days and only I and two others could lift that bag), me not having worked out for 25 years. But it is rotten that I even called after the purchase to confirm that I would indeed get the DGX 670 that he had said had just become available. THat was the company Drummcity of Denmark. I will not disclose his name but I guess they get a commision from selling. Just my 25 cents :-) I am a very kind man but I never was a fool. Also I only lost one time in armwrestling with my right arm to a man 2 meter 10 weighing plus 130 kilos who was a manual worker. I then won over him with my left arm and he said I was the strongest man he ever met. We became best friends. Cheers.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/19/21 06:04 PM.
1 meter 98 cm. not 2meter 10. I must have been thinking about sasquatch. Sorry. THere is a time limit so I did not discover my error in time. Maybe that is changeable? My advice, always underestimate, then correct it and up it. Better than having to downsize right. LIke: I just caught a fish at 1 meter, then later, sorry it was just 30 cm.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/19/21 06:19 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modernised classics.
by treefrog - 04/18/21 06:39 PM
Brahms Hungarian Dance #5
by Works1 - 04/18/21 05:57 PM
Recommendations on interesting YouTube lectures?
by ZigZagStory - 04/18/21 05:08 PM
Hygrometer
by FennerMachine - 04/18/21 04:50 PM
Humidity in New England - hygrometer 40%
by Pkhentz - 04/18/21 02:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,380
Posts3,083,907
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission