2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello,

I currently own a Yamaha CLP 645 and have a deal (I'm quite interested in) with my local piano shop where I can trade-in the Clavinova and get its value towards an AvantGrand N1x, that said I'm moving out of NC and heading to Spain for at least a year (very likely longer). Looking at the voltages, the difference is 120V here and 230V in Spain. I looked at the other Hybrids and they (N1 / N2 / N3) have something called a Voltage Selector, unfortunately neither the Clavinova nor the N1x have this (looking at the owner's manual), it seems that only older models have it.

I've looked into step down converters but I'm hoping there's something within the piano itself that can be adjusted.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Buy one in Spain and sell it when you come back from Spain.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Spain is an awesome country.
_____

The Spanish grid runs at 230v and 50hz. So you would need a step down AND frequency converter. Do NOT buy a converter from eBay, Amazon etc, only get a good quality converter for fire & shock reasons. These are a bit pricey.

But, I would highly recommend not shipping a piano to Europe. The paperwork is challenging, it is time consuming, and it is expensive. Transport is slow. Yamaha ships these from Asia crated up in bulk to prevent damage; you can't do that. A normal container will face extreme weather conditions, salty air, lots of movement. Rent or buy a piano in Spain.
_____

Best advice I ever received for moving overseas was to bring as little as possible. I mean a few suitcases. Sell or store your critical items in the your home country; any items you forget can be retrieved or sent by a friend.

Rent a short-term furnished place or stay in a mid-tier hostel. Check out the city for a few weeks. Then decide where you want to live. It's probably not so easy with the Coronavirus to walk around the neighbourhood and ask doormen to recommend any places for rent; there are some sick deals to be found that way.

Spain has a ton of petty theft but otherwise is generally very safe. Be extremely careful of pick-pockets: wallets, purses, backpacks, phones, computers (walking, on the subway, on the bus, in the cafe, in the airport, in the hotel...). Do NOT leave a computer or phone unattended in a hotel room ever.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If your financial circumstances allow it, I'd recommend you buy one (used or new) in Spain. Apart from having the ease of getting it serviced/maintained (if you have to) from the dealer you buy it from in Spain, the peace of mind from not having to transport an important item in life (although solid and well built) is a huge factor, at least for me.

Last edited by mmathew; 02/16/21 08:04 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
OP Offline
P
Really appreciate the feedback, I agree that shipping the piano is not the best option, will consider storing / selling it and getting one in Spain. Thanks!

J
J
I have a cheap(dish) digital--the Yamaha p121--and to tell you the truth I love its action. When I first got it, I thought it would just have to suffice. I was so used to my acoustic piano that every digital I tried just didn't measure up. Only the top tier Yamaha did, but they cost as much as my acoustic and didn't sound as nice and the action was still heavier than I really liked. That's what got me to just buy the p121--I didn't want to spend so much on something that felt inferior. A year or so into the p121, and now I love its action. It's actually easy to control than my acoustic and I can play softer and more controlled with it than I can with my acoustic(which does need regulation). Even after I get it regulated I'm sure it won't be as precise as the 121. The 121 is nice and the fact that it has a built in audio interface is just the icing on the cake. I can play my VSTs through its internal speakers or headphone output and not wake my neighbors at 3AM. I wouldn't discount a cheap digital especially if it's for just 1 year. Who knows, after that year you may not want to switch back. If it had a longer pivot, the action would be perfect for me.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Rent a piano in spain, you will very busy with cultural stuff and eating good food. There will not be as much time for piano as you think.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Or try searching AirBnb for apartments with pianos. I once stayed in Seville at an AirBnb with a Yamaha Grand, it was a real blessing.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
My advice is leave the broad and just take the piano.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission