2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (BWV846, apianostudent, antune, Animisha, Boboulus, accordeur, anotherscott, Abdol, Alex C, 15 invisible), 565 guests, and 443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Quarterly Recital #61!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #61 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at any time. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital 61 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music!

Sam

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Apologies, everyone.

Just realised I uploaded the incorrect recording for my submission for number 8. The link to the vimeo recording is the intended one.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
So I had a problem with the ftp connection this morning for the zip files. Normally I zip up the recordings into chunks and upload them to the server so people can grab them if they want. Of course, we have been doing this since recital #9, ages ago.

Does anyone ever actually download the zip files? Are they useful to anyone? Times have changed - for instance, my laptop no longer has a CD player. I couldn't burn a CD if I wanted to. Music is all streamed now. It would decrease the work to produce the recital if we omitted the zip files. Just asking...

Sam

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
1. Ido- This is one of those works you just can't get tired of. A lovely interpretation.

2. JJHLH- A very sweet, short piece that I have never heard before. Excellently played.

3. flygbadet- Very nice. Great chords. It doesn't sound at all improvised (that's good in my book).

4. Cesare- That speed seemed fine to me but hey, I'm no Bach expert so who is to say. I just enjoyed listening. Keep em coming.

Ugh, my recording is probably my least polished submission yet. Hopefully you'll derive at least some enjoyment from it.

Originally Posted by Sam S
Does anyone ever actually download the zip files? Are they useful to anyone?

I usually download those ZIP files, though it would only be a minor inconvenience to me if they were to disappear.

Last edited by Calavera; 02/15/21 08:51 AM.
D
D
Originally Posted by Sam S
Does anyone ever actually download the zip files? Are they useful to anyone? Times have changed - for instance, my laptop no longer has a CD player. I couldn't burn a CD if I wanted to. Music is all streamed now. It would decrease the work to produce the recital if we omitted the zip files. Just asking...

Sam

I don't download the zip files, so for me it wouldn't make a difference if they disappeared. Thanks for doing yet another recital, Sam!

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
I don't download the zip files either.

Sorry for the bad video quality, if anyone watches. I did something different this time and used my laptop to record the video, using Cyberlink Powerdirector, along with an external mic. Well, I messed that up. I told Cyberlink to capture in HD, but the device (web cam) was configured at 640x480. So it looks a little 'flat' smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sam, I also never download the zip files.

As always, thank you for all the work you put into this!

I'm really looking forward to listening!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Z
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi. This is my first recital so not sure I would download the files. I am guessing probably not as we can always look up and stream the recitals or listen to each piece individually.

I must say it was my first time submitting and it was all super easy and smooth! Thank you all for doing this. It was alot of fun and I am already planning to participate in the next one. This time I can spend more than a week getting ready 🙂

I already listened to some pieces and looking forward to hearing the rest.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
1 Ido

Excellently played! Loads of tenderness. Much better than me . . . I rush it, same as everything else I do . . .

2 JJHLH

Lovely work here. Smooth, pleasant. Feel-good in abundance.

3 Flygblad3t

Darned nice sound from your piano. Grand and expressive at your fingers. And you wrote this yourself? Sounds involved and very polished to me. Well done.

4 Cesare San Martino

This has been a cracking start; the standard is far to high! More excellence; the speed was lovely, and the baroch atmosphere quite intense.

5 Peyton

You write a nice melody; quite wistful if I might say so. I'm quite wistful about the past; like a year ago when I was sweating on those Les Mills gym-bikes squashed in by the young ladies.wanting desperately to lose a pound or two . .

6 Ganddalf

Your digital sounds better for being recoded like an acoustic might. Food for thought! The music is as expressive and wonderful,as usual.

7 Marie J

Interesting to hear these; I only play the ones I know, but they're all to savour, full of the melancholic meaderings of a somewhat troubled man. Nice work, Marie!

8 KevinM

An oft-played piece, but an excellent exercise. You make it look too easy. Dammit, you ALL make it too easy. It should be hard. I'm finding stuff hard; so should everyone else! Seriously nice, man.

9 Peterws

Oh, %$&*£*! You again! Like a bad penny . . and now he's tryin' to play Bach! I ask you! Hahahah ROFL!!.

10 Wouter79

Very expressive piece. Cannot but enjoy that!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I do not use the zip files. I do write the occasional CD or DVD and an external drive is handy to bypass DVD region restrictions. In any case I could always use the Zoom to copy any sound input directly should I ever want to.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
No, I don't download the zip files as I can always go to the invaluable Piano Recitals Index to listen to a piece again. Thanks for everything that you do to keep these Recitals running so well, Sam! thumb

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXI

My C3 - solace. And joy.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
6. Gandolf- I'm not sure which is more lovely, the piece or your playing. Well recorded too.

7. MarieJ- The Gnossiennes are my favorite Satie pieces. Of the first 3 probably the 1st and 3rd are my usual go to pieces to play but that middle one...#2, always kind of stumps me. I'm never real sure how to interpret it. But you did. They all tell stories and I think you found the story #2 is trying to tell and nailed it. Bravo!

A
A
I do not use the zip files either. Thank you Sam for making these recitals possible.

Here my first set of comment. Beautiful pieces so far smile
01. Ido - Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1 I liked how you played with dynamics. I could tell the differences you mention in the B section and I think it gave quite some originality to your rendition. Beautiful!

11. pianist685 (Constantin) - Ragtime Nightingale I am not a big fan of rag myself (maybe I should just try to play it once and it might change), but I enjoyed the piece very much. I noticed a lot of contrasting styles in certain sections, a bit of romanticism here and there. Your playing is amazing, I really liked how you play with rhythm and dynamics. Great smile

21. JustinDAggie - Song Without Words, "Passion" (Agitato) Op. 38 No. 5 I have not explored yet Mendelssohn music, but this piece was very different from what I had heard from him so far, I liked it a lot. Thanks for introducing this piece to me. It is great you are returning to PianoWorld! Looking forward to hear future performances from you.

31. Purrblast - Little Prelude in E Major (BWV 937) This was very well done Purrblast! I actually did not find it so simple sounding as you mention, certain parts in particular I could tell are those tricky ones where one gets stuck for quite some time. But I think you did great and played with the voices nicely smile

41. Talao - March in D Major (BWV Anh. 122) Lovely piece and lovely playing Talao! My only advice from an early beginner would be to change it up a bit on the repeats. But I think you did great! How has your experience been with those NT5s?

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
T
T
Originally Posted by AndresVel
41. Talao - March in D Major (BWV Anh. 122) Lovely piece and lovely playing Talao! My only advice from an early beginner would be to change it up a bit on the repeats. But I think you did great! How has your experience been with those NT5s?

Thank you for the feedback, Andres! Agree 100%. I try to be conscious of this, but don't always succeed in making it different enough. I did attempt a couple of changes in the repeat of the second half. It's subtle, but your comment tells me it didn't come across as much as I intended.

As for the NT5, so far so good. I like them. I spent quite a while researching: what are good mics for piano that don't cost an arm and a leg? :-) I do feel like the NT5s maximize the bang/buck function.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
11. pianist685 (Constantin) - Ragtime Nightingale

Top notch mate, as good as any professional recording I have of that piece, probably better. Lamb had a special musical personality, quite different from Joplin’s and James Scott’s and you understand it completely. Nothing more to say except that I hope you continue to play ragtime. I would love to hear your playing of contemporaries such as David Thomas Roberts, Hal Isbitz and Brian Keenan.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Z
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Z
01. Ido - Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1 - This was very beautifully played. So well done and enjoyable to listen to. One of my all time favorites pieces.

02. JJHLH - Prelude in B Major, Op. 2 No. 2 - A very peaceful piece. Very nicely balanced and done.

03. Flygbladet - Fractured thoughts of what never was - This was very nice. Very interesting to and gave me time/space to get lost in thoughts and reflect on many different things. I wish I had the skills to create music like this when I wanted. Certainly didn't sound fractured to me :-)

04. Cesare San Martino - Marklings - Courante from French Suite #3 in B Minor (to do) - Cesare this does indeed sound very difficult. Though I m not familiar with this music, I liked your interpretation. I find that the upper speed markings of some pieces really don't allow for the best enjoyment of it. I think you made a great choice.

05. Peyton - Melody - Peyton, I really enjoyed this and as mentioned to Flygbladet, I wish I had the skills to create music like this whenever I wanted. I liked the melody alot. Thank you for sharing.

06. Ganddalf - Nocturno - Ganddalf, this was quite enjoyable and a first time hearing for me. Very interesting changes throughout the recording for sure.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No.2 - MarieJ I am not familiar with these pieces, but did enjoy this one. I like reading and hearing about your approach to the piece. Something I will keep in mind. I think I would struggle with that alot and would have trouble figuring out what to do.

08. KevinM - Sonata in C Major, Second Movement K545 - Kevin, very pleasant and so very nicely played.

09. peterws - Jesu joy - Another one of my all time favorites and so nicely done. I've not heard an arrangement like this before and really enjoyed it. Edit to add, meaning any version I've ever seen or played was much simpler that the one you played from.

10. wouter79 - op.45 sailor's song (n.14) and sternness (n.12) - This was nicely done. I can't comment on what Heller 'wants/expects' but this sounded very good to me. What you describe of what is happening sounds very difficult and complex and I can't even wrap my head around it.

Last edited by ZoeCalgary; 02/15/21 07:11 PM. Reason: Added comment.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
11 Pianist685

Beautiful rendition of a complex piece! I would not dare.

12 richD

Debussy did some srange and wonderful stuff. You porteayed the still-remaining grandeur and spirit of that sunken place of High Worship.

13 Tim Adrianson

So very fluid and complex. It certainly stretches the piano to its limits!

14 RuthCM

I reckon we all like that one. Might sound siple enough but it's still chalenging to play it correctly. Grat jopb from you!

15 Navindra

I know this is played slowly. But I cannot do it. Rather like riding a bike; too slow and you're off it. I am jealous! Interesting contrasts here between parts. I think the differences were down to mic positioning digitally speaking. Every voice on PTq seems to have different mic positioning. And it can be hard to get consistency.
Great job all round.

16 PianogrlNW

Lovely from Chopin and yourself. One of his better ones, I think (not a fan) but I guess with his problems (he had a few) he'd be a tad reflective when the end beckoned. Sad, but poignant and beautiful. Lovely!

17 psyche 23

Love these Russian pieces; they have a somewhat different feel to them. You play this with much expression and power.

18 Ted Jones

Ted, you certainly hit the ground running! Now, I'm rushing around in some city amongst the madding crowds, not knowing where i'm at, or even where I want to be. But I'm trying to get out, and cannot! I'm trapped in a maelstrom not of my making.
But perhaps I'm in denial . . . (My useless take on this! Have fun Ted!)

19 selfishplayer

Very energetic playing you have here! Nor do you hang about.. I enjoyed what you played, though the piece was unfamiliar.

20 Serge88

The list of lennon-Mcartney stuff is endless, and so varied. Mcacartney will have done this one, for sure. Nice job of this thoughtful music.

Excellent, guys! You all sound better than me. Strangely, I don't really care haha Take care. More tomoz

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Starting at the bottom and working my way backwards. Some excellent performances!

35. Jason Lenthe - Sonata in D Major K 430 I would say this is finished! Excellent!

36. barbaram - Evgeni's Waltz It has sort of a sweet/sad sound to it. I love how you keep it moving at a nice clip so it doesn't get too sentimental. Excellent!

37. Rachtoven - Chopin Preludes 7 and 20 Nice dynamics on #20. These are both two of my favorites. Of course, everybody plays them at some point. Well done!

38. winterflower - Light through the Trees Lovely melody!

39. Mosotti - Etude in A minor, Op. 27 No. 3 Loved the video - little superman! And your playing was good too!

40. Greta99 - Gai Printemps, Impromptu, Op. 11 no. 1 "Cheerful Spring" - well, we can hope! This was very well done - effortless and cheerful!

41. Talao - March in D Major (BWV Anh. 122) Loved the bow at the end! Well done!

42. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 4 in D minor (BWV 775) Oh yes, the one with the long trills. Well done!

44. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Piano Sonata No. 8 (Pathetique), II. Adagio cantabile Well done - nice phrasing, and well-executed turns. This is one of my favorite pieces too - maybe some day. Loved it!

45. Zoe - Tantalizing Tango Nice dynamics. I love Rollin's pieces - they are a favorite with my local piano group.Well done!

46. facdo - Fugue No.2 in C Minor, BWV 847 I played this one too, along with the prelude - had to memorize them, and that was a nightmare. I think you did a great job, very clean, even, and mistake free. Bravo!

47. AssociateX (Liz) - Nocturne Op. 48 # 1 in C minor Hello kitty! I don't have a stuffed animal watching me, but I do have a stack of beach stones that I use for inspiration and to count repeats. This was well done - a reflective rendition. Loved the dynamics and the mood changes.

48. Piano_Primo - Winter Light I'm not familiar with this either. Movie music? But I like it. Well done!

49. Calavera - Title Back (Bland Logo) I know nothing about video game music - sounds great though!

Sam

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Skipping around a bit. Here is my first set of comments.

01. Ido - Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1 You successfully brought out the character of this piece. Lovely legato line and nice balance between the hands.

02. JJHLH - Prelude in B Major, Op. 2 No. 2 Beautiful gem of a piece with an intimate character that you played convincingly.

04. Cesare San Martino - Marklings - Courante from French Suite #3 in B Minor Confidently played. Nice job bringing out the different voices.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No.2 I think your tempo works well and am not sure I would want to hear it played slower. Nice work in bringing out Satie's dark and mysterious elements.

11. pianist685 (Constantin) - Ragtime Nightingale This is a new composer for me. I like the way you brought out the contrasting character of the different sections. A very enjoyable listen.

21. JustinDAggie - Song Without Words, "Passion" (Agitato) Op. 38 No. 5 A very impressive first performance since your long absence from ABF. Hope to hear more from you in future recitals.

22. Maira713 - Egyptian Ballet Dance Played very confidently. Welcome to the ABF recitals!

27. dumka1 - Nocturne Op. 9 no. 2 Enjoyable performance. I think you could add some rubato and diminuendo at the end of the long phrases. Lovely final bars.

34. Peter Hontaru - Traumerei You effectively captured the tenderness of this piece. One quibble, though, and it has to do with your rhythm. You are frequently hanging onto the 8th notes that occur on the beat too long and playing the following 8th note on the half beat too late. The overall effect undermines the intended flow of the music.

35. Jason Lenthe - Sonata in D Major K 430 A very enjoyable listen and effective detached note playing. I think you could add some more listening interest by adding more dynamic contrasts in loudness levels, especially when the phrases are repeated.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thinking about Buying a used Steinway?
by astrotoy - 04/19/21 02:43 PM
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,397
Posts3,084,152
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission