2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (bluebilly, brdwyguy, anotherscott, CyberGene, clothearednincompo, 36251, btcomm, BbAltered, Buzz209, 11 invisible), 587 guests, and 437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Is it common that people in the digital piano area often own multiple keyboards? I ask because I'm tempted to get a second one. I know it's up to me just wondering what others think.

Last edited by Sebs; 02/15/21 06:04 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
I own a N1X to play the piano and a keyboard controller at the front of the PC (for soft synthesiser).

But the N1X is used most of the time.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Do I have more then one? The answer is Yes laugh

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Only one that I really use. I should just get rid of the others.

S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Only one that I really use. I should just get rid of the others.
Any reason you don't use the others? Sounds like you have a few.

K
K
Originally Posted by Sebs
Is it common that people in the digital piano area often own multiple keyboards? I ask because I'm tempted to get a second one. I know it's up to me just wondering what others think.

I think a good number of us also want to play music that was composed with synthesizers in mind, or do actual analog synthesis. Thus a proper digital piano for piano, and often a midi controller to get a synth-action keybed.

T
T
I own multiple guitars, because each has a distinctive voice. The piano I learned on for many years of lessons from Mr. Herbert Bowker was destroyed by fire and water damage.

With wonderful advice from the knowledgeable P W members, I finally chose a Roland FP30 piano. Sounds and feels like my old friend; I am happy with one instrument.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Ayup!

The DP-603 is in the central room where I practice and play most of the time.

The FP-30 is in the music room with my wife's drums for jammin' and such. It's also a potential stage piano, if I ever get good enough to play out.

The MX61 is pretty recent, but with the idea of using it for home recording.

Oh, yeah: the CDP-130 is at my dad's place, to play when I visit.

Last edited by TheophilusCarter; 02/15/21 07:29 PM.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
Short answer: yes!

Extended answer: I lost the count at 30 or so... But most are on storage (*) and only 6 are ready to play (besides the acoustic on its own room), in two different studios. My mostly played one is the Kawai VPC1 controller, which sits close to a Yamaha Genos and a Yamaha Montage 6 white (and plenty of rack mount synthesizers). That is my main studio. On the second studio, I use a couple MIDI controllers with synth action, one from Arturia and another from Native Instruments, both on top of another Montage 6, this time black (variety is the key, pun intended laugh ha )

Do I need so many keyboards?. Well, need is a vague concept eek... I enjoy playing them. I can have them. Why not? smile

(*) 80s and 90s synthesizers mostly

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
I'm another with tons of keyboards. Part of that is for gigging, and I have different boards I bring depending on the gig. But sounds, actions, features, operational ergonomics all differ. If you just want to play piano, one might do it. But if you're also into organ, synth, orchestrations, you'll want boards with different actions, control surfaces, and capabilities.

S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Great to hear! Thanks, all. I was wondering if I was being silly thinking of getting a second one.

Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Short answer: yes!

Extended answer: I lost the count at 30 or so... But most are on storage (*) and only 6 are ready to play (besides the acoustic on its own room), in two different studios. My mostly played one is the Kawai VPC1 controller, which sits close to a Yamaha Genos and a Yamaha Montage 6 white (and plenty of rack mount synthesizers). That is my main studio. On the second studio, I use a couple MIDI controllers with synth action, one from Arturia and another from Native Instruments, both on top of another Montage 6, this time black (variety is the key, pun intended laugh ha )

Do I need so many keyboards?. Well, need is a vague concept eek... I enjoy playing them. I can have them. Why not? smile

(*) 80s and 90s synthesizers mostly
That's quite the collection! And I was thinking along the same line.... 'need' is such a loose term. If they bring you joy and you have fun playing them why not. I think I'll go for it.

Originally Posted by anotherscott
I'm another with tons of keyboards. Part of that is for gigging, and I have different boards I bring depending on the gig. But sounds, actions, features, operational ergonomics all differ. If you just want to play piano, one might do it. But if you're also into organ, synth, orchestrations, you'll want boards with different actions, control surfaces, and capabilities.
One day I hope to be good enough to gig but that's a long way away...

M
M
So all I have is a VPC 1 and a komplete kontrol 61 (one hammer action and one synth action), and a couple of midi controllers. But I have lots of virtual synths (number not to be admitted in public...) The wishlist includes a polyaftertouch keyboard with 61 keys, some day after either Behringer or ASM sells one, okay and maybe a few other things. Keep in mind that any extreme behavior will find reinforcement in the appropriate internet community, so you've come to the right place, and now you're normal smile

U1. VPC-1. Komplete Kontrol 61 1st gen. Pianoteq, Ravenscroft, etc. Two kids on Alfred.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have only two hands ... so I have only one piano. smile

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

Not only have two keyboards, but also have a wind controller, Yamaha WX5!
[Linked Image]

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
R
R
I've had dozen of keyboards over the years, at present only 4. I recently sold a real beauty, the Korg Pa1000, an arranger board par excellence. I felt no pain letting it go though 'cause I finally realized that I'm a piano player first and foremost, and dealing with TONS AND TONS of setup/learning/categorizing/learning some more, etc. etc. was counter productive to me sitting down and practicing.

Which is why I've been so thrilled having the Kawai ES110 and ES920. I'll probably sell the es110 now that i've got the es920, but I do like it's action a bit more.

To replace the Pa1000, I've now got a Casio CT-X5000, a 61 note arranger board that weighs under 20 pounds, and kicks ass in its price range (can't compare to the pa1000, which is 4 times the price). With a board like that, $450, I'm not as worried about traveling with it.
I also had it's younger brother, the $179 CT-X700 that I recently sold. What a great couch/bed/travel board! Under 10 pounds, can run off batteries, not super deep (most boards of this kind are over 15" deep). Surprisingly, the sounds and action of this cheapie board are decent, it's a fun board.

I also have an IKM 49 key irig keys I/O that I bought for couch/bed playing, but it's got a terrible action and i hate it. Gotta sell.

Reasons to have a 2d or 3d board?

- something light and small as a couch / bed board

- something decent that doesn't cost too much, not as many worries for taking it to jams with friends

- something with light/synth-action/semi-weighted keys for playing fast synthesizer leads, playing organ, etc., preferably with after touch and real-time controls, like mod and pitch wheels, expression pedal jack, sliders, etc., something most piano boards are lacking.

- a dedicated organ board with all the drawbars, me wanna

- a dedicated synth with all the knobs

- inexpensive boards to lend out to family. My es110 is on loan to my sister at the moment

- small controller boards that can easily be used with your computer

- an arranger board to generate drums/bass/accompaniment to play along with, preferably with a mic input. My Pa1000 was fantastic that way, super powerful and great sounding built-in speakers, and with a mini mixer on the front panel to handle the mic/guitar volume, harmonizer and fx.

- workstations that, done right, are a more direct way of recording your music, no computer necessarily needed, and in general are more of a do-it-all approah

- a home console piano with dust cover that looks nice in the living room, the headphones a life saver

- stage keyboards that are light weight and do what you need done. One of the reasons I've been so happy with the new Kawai ES boards, you can have quality weighted action that is not too heavy to bring to a gig, a jam, etc.

-a keytar to strap on and give the guitar players a run for the money

So yeah, lots of reasons for that second board!

Last edited by Randyman; 02/16/21 12:14 AM.

Randy
Kawai ES110/ES920, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica / iPad music apps
I currently have two keyboards, but only because I just upgraded from a Casio PX-360M to a Kawai MP7SE. Talk about an upgrade!

Now to sell the Casio.

John_C - Colorado Springs
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have several keyboards. I love 1970s style analogue synths, and I have an extra digital piano (Kawai MP-10) that I don't use anymore.

Welcome (soon I guess) to the club!

Current:
Kawai VPC1 (well, only a MIDI controller really)
Kawai CA79
Korg D1, along with the Casiotone, my most long term purchase
Casiotone, I forget which one, but this was one of my earliest buys years ago

In the past, I've always had at least 2 at any point in time smile
Yamaha P515 (I still regret selling this) + Korg Grandstage
Korg Grandstage + Hammond XK1c

Last edited by mmathew; 02/16/21 07:52 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Ok there are far more multiple keyboards than I thought. Great hearing all the varieties every one owns. I look forward to also starting down this path too.

C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Any reason you don't use the others? Sounds like you have a few.

I use a basic digital piano with not much features for attempts at piano playing.

I still have another old weighted 88 key (hardly!) "portable" piano just lying around. It was my first weighted one. It isn't worth much unless there's some vintage value, so I've been lazy and haven't sold it.

I have an old Yamaha PSR. It was a cheap spur-of-the-moment purchase, but I don't find myself playing with accompaniment or playing around with non-piano sounds. Could be fun of course, but I haven't found such musical creativity in me that I would make my own music. No ideas.

Then there's a small MIDI keyboard with mini keys and pitch bend/assignable controller wheels if I ever need those, but turns out I don't.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Mozart vs. Salieri
by grand_BB_71 - 04/19/21 02:52 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,392
Posts3,084,061
Members101,239
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission