2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (apianostudent, anotherscott, ando, Carey, accordeur, 36251, butchkoch, CaseyVancouver, 6 invisible), 523 guests, and 436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OE1FEU
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Methinks the reply indicates some ignorance about David Stanwood. Those that have familiarized themselves with his research and results, including American and European factories, are not likely to use words like voodoo or maverick to describe him or his protocols.

Enlighten me, please. Can you give any specifics about the companies, departments, persons in charge and actual changes in production, research and development involved? Has any of this ever been acknowledged, let alone published?

Ed didn't say these methodologies have been employed in a factory. He said that those people who are familiar with them--including people in factories--wouldn't denigrate them (e.g. "voodoo" and "maverick").

Not only did he not claim that they've been employed in factories, but he clearly made the point that they are not applicable to production processes (in the very sentence after the quoted text was truncated).

Being aware of something, or familiar with it, doesn't mean it's necessarily been adopted.

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
OE1FEU, I would not describe the front duplex as passive vibration since the wire stiffness carries information across the front termination point in the vast majority of pianos ever made. The two segments are linked. That is why the front duplex makes a difference in tone.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
OE1FEU, before you put your foot in it any further, you ought to do a little reading and report back to us. www.stanwoodpiano.com

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In my practice the pivot idea (and longer string segments) has proven to be much more valid than any harmonic relationship has in the high treble. So kudos to Ed on that. Its of course just a piece of the piano puzzle for a singing treble. Others are proper soundboard mass and stiffness, Harder bridge cap material, accurate pinning, clean terminations, voiced hammers, and i also remove any metal to metal interfaces.

-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
"Where Tone is Key"
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
OE1FEU, I would not describe the front duplex as passive vibration [...]

How generous. Please have that discussion with Helmholtz and Steinway themselves, not with me.

Last edited by OE1FEU; 02/14/21 11:01 PM.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by WilliamTruitt
OE1FEU, before you put your foot in it any further, you ought to do a little reading and report back to us. www.stanwoodpiano.com

Sure. Throwing a 1990s style web page at someone you disagree with has always turned out to be the perfect rebuttal to a critic's question.

Never mind ignoring questions like "Can you give any specifics about the companies, departments, persons in charge and actual changes in production, research and development involved?".

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WilliamTruitt

Sure. Throwing a 1990s style web page at someone you disagree with has always turned out to be the perfect rebuttal to a critic's question.

Sure. And when you can't make valid points, you can always resort to an ad hominem attack. wink

Never mind ignoring questions like "Can you give any specifics about the companies, departments, persons in charge and actual changes in production, research and development involved?".

No one has made this claim. You simply demand it (repeatedly). Corporate embrace is not the singular measure of legitimacy.

― Duke Ellington
!
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
OE1FEU, What do you mean by "passive" since you introduced the term as regards string segments?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
OE1FEU, What do you mean by "passive" since you introduced the term as regards string segments?

As I wrote: Front and rear duplex scale.

A
A
I always find it amusing when someone with no technical knowledge of the technology being discussed attempts to commandeer the conversation with claims of its illegitimacy, especially when they're inventing positions to argue against.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
I am sorry I don't understand. What does being in a passive state have to do with front and rear duplexes. I don't understand how you are using the term "passive".

And further, do you think there are any differences, (other than physical relative position that is denominated by the positional references), between front and rear duplexes?

B
B
I believe Kawai uses some of Stanwoods' protocols in their top tier pianos. Maybe Don Mannino will check in and confirm that.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Bill McKaig,RPT
I believe Kawai uses some of Stanwoods' protocols in their top tier pianos. .

Kawai? Heck, I use some of David's protocols and research in my own restoration work. When factory actions have front-weight variances of 5 or 6 grams from key to key, a "rebuilder" that replaces the action without establishing a consistent FW is missing out on a lot of the value of Stanwood's work.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E

That is a loose interpretation of the word "critic", who is one that is familiar with what they critique. You seem to be unaware of David's working protocols and you seem to be critical of the concept of aftermarket improvement to factory production.

If you want to know more about it, do your homework, I am not here to do your research for you.
regards,

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
When factory actions have front-weight variances of 5 or 6 grams from key to key, a "rebuilder" that replaces the action without establishing a consistent FW is missing out on a lot of the value of Stanwood's work.

Not to stir the pot, but can the notion of consistency in this regard be attributed to Stanwood, or more specifically the process he advocates? Are there other ways or approaches to achieve a high level of consistency?

― Duke Ellington
!
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
One of the big problems with trying to measure consistency is that very few people ever go back to measure what they did after they first do it.

Semipro Tech
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
When factory actions have front-weight variances of 5 or 6 grams from key to key, a "rebuilder" that replaces the action without establishing a consistent FW is missing out on a lot of the value of Stanwood's work.

Not to stir the pot, but can the notion of consistency in this regard be attributed to Stanwood, or more specifically the process he advocates? Are there other ways or approaches to achieve a high level of consistency?

Yes. Simple first priciples of consistently gradated front weights and the same for strike weight has to be obeyed for the higher degrees of consistency, and matching the two curves with the optimum action ratio is what David's work is all about Stanwood's approach is a formula, many of us know what limits FW has to obey, and can work from there, or the hammers coming back.
Regard,s

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
David Stanwood has been doing his thing for at least 30 years, and most of us would agree that he has advanced the state of our art in ways that are important. I don't use all of his protocols but I do use several of them, and it has improved the consistency and predictability of my work.

Since OE1FEU's intellectual curiosity goes no deeper than the appearance of David Stanwood's facepage on his website, I see no reason to take him seriously. I was hoping he might read some of what is there. Foolish me.

BDB, there is no big problem in measuring consistency. How many people choose to follow through and confirm their results has no bearing on how consistent the results are. Stanwood's work is very much about quantifying our results with the methods used to achieve them.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Editing Solo Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 04/18/21 07:42 PM
Borgato speaks about piano craft
by VladK - 04/18/21 07:14 PM
Modernised classics.
by treefrog - 04/18/21 06:39 PM
Brahms Hungarian Dance #5
by Works1 - 04/18/21 05:57 PM
Recommendations on interesting YouTube lectures?
by ZigZagStory - 04/18/21 05:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,383
Posts3,083,938
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission