2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by peterws
18 Ted Jones

...I'm trapped in a maelstrom not of my making.
But perhaps I'm in denial . . . (My useless take on this! Have fun Ted!)

That is exactly how I felt about it, perhaps I can communicate states of mind after all. Thanks for listening Peter and rest assured I always have fun with my music.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sam S
So I had a problem with the ftp connection this morning for the zip files. Normally I zip up the recordings into chunks and upload them to the server so people can grab them if they want. Of course, we have been doing this since recital #9, ages ago.

Does anyone ever actually download the zip files? Are they useful to anyone? Times have changed - for instance, my laptop no longer has a CD player. I couldn't burn a CD if I wanted to. Music is all streamed now. It would decrease the work to produce the recital if we omitted the zip files. Just asking...

Sam

I download the zip files. Many of the ABF MP3 recital recordings over the years have made their way into my playlists, right alongside Andras Schiff, Khatia Buniatishvili, Horowitz, and the other greats. And ABFers have a talent for finding unusual music to perform that we would not otherwise hear from, or find in, the commercial marketplace.

Regarding streaming, I do not understand it well enough to trust it. I am always reticent to leave things I need in the hands of others. So, 95% of the music I listen to is music I have purchased and loaded onto my computer. The Recital MP3s are saved and listened to along with all my .wav (CD) file libraries.

I, for one, would miss the zip files.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi, here are my next set of comments starting from the last 10 performers. I have been having a truly great day listening to all the wonderful music. Mostly I am just at a loss for word, but have been enjoying each and every performance.

40. Greta99 - Gai Printemps, Impromptu, Op. 11 no. 1 Greta99, there is something about your playing that captures my attention just so every time I hear it. It is like magic. Again, another piece I am not familiar with but then it is played so wonderfully I begin to think, hey maybe I have heard this before, or have I?

41. Talao - March in D Major (BWV Anh. 122) Talao - you have made amazing progress in the amount of time you have been playing. Very very very well done! I enjoyed it very much. Also, love your piano! And you did this all from memory! Good for you! Looking forward to more of your submissions. Great job you have many recitals ahead of you!

42. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 4 in D minor (BWV 775) AndrewsVel - You too have made amazing progress for the amount of time you have been playing. Wow! I find the inventions very hard and you played this one so well. Great work and you too have many more recitals ahead of you!

43. Sam S - Song Without Words op 67-3 Sam, this was so wonderful and very nicely played! I loved how you shared the music in your video, that is cool. Waaay above my level so I can't really comment otherwise except I did like seeing the music and watching/hearing you play as I was trying to follow along. Thanks.

44. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Piano Sonata No. 8 (Pathetique), II. Adagio cantabile bSharp, this is a very peaceful and relaxing piece. It did draw me in and I enjoyed it very much. Nice playing. A question from your video, it looks like you are sitting quite far from yhr keys. This caught my attention as I think I usually sit to close. Clearly this is not affecting your playing in any way, but I was curious about it.

46. facdo - Fugue No.2 in C Minor, BWV 847 Facdo - This was amazing. And also thanks for sharing the music. I love to follow along while watching/listening to somebody play. This does look really fun and it sounds like you enjoy it very much in your playing.

47. AssociateX (Liz) - Nocturne Op. 48 # 1 in C minor Liz, wow was that very dramatic (in a great way!). I can hear all the emotion you are putting into this piece. Congrats to you.

48. Piano_Primo - Winter Light - PianoPrimo this was very nice to listen to and your recording sounds great. Perfect piece to relax to on a cold chilly day I am having right now.

49. Calavera - Title Back (Bland Logo) - Calavera, I really liked this, I liked the tune and the buildup of drama and excitement. Very nice, thanks for sharing. Music I would not have likely got the chance to hear elsewhere.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So

Does anyone ever actually download the zip files? Are they useful to anyone? Times have changed - for instance, my laptop no longer has a CD player. I couldn't burn a CD if I wanted to. Music is all streamed now. It would decrease the work to produce the recital if we omitted the zip files. Just asking...

Sam
I have high speed now, but the area I live in didn't have high speed for consumers until 2014 and previously, the rural area where I lived still doesn't. You have to go to a library or business setting ..
Zips made listening easy and convenient with dial up.
It might matter to a student or someone living in a rural area. (Netscape is the only dial up server I know of now). Or likes the price of dial up.

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
01. Ido - Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1 I enjoyed your performance very much - a lovely delicate touch and well-developed dynamics.

02. JJHLH - Prelude in B Major, Op. 2 No. 2 I hadn’t heard this Prelude before - you played it with great sensitivity.

03. Flygbladet - Fractured thoughts of what never was Very special - I’m in awe of pianists who can improvise like this!

04. Cesare San Martino - Marklings - Courante from French Suite #3 in B Minor Welcome to the Recitals and congratulations on your first entry - a beauty!

05. Peyton - Melody Peyton, that was truly exquisite. I loved the sweet melody, and the special touches - the Glass-like dark growling notes, the crystal runs. All with a barely-mended right hand - bravo!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My first batch of comments:

01. Ido - Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1
Charming, very nice performance of this familiar piece

02. JJHLH - Prelude in B Major, Op. 2 No. 2
I really need to investigate Scriabin, I always enjoy his pieces when they appear in the recitals. You’ve done a lovely job with this

03. Flygbladet - Fractured thoughts of what never was
Very pretty

04. Cesare San Martino - Marklings - Courante from French Suite #3 in B Minor
Lovely

05. Peyton - Melody
This is gorgeous, I love it

06. Ganddalf - Nocturno
Beautiful

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No.2
This has a gorgeous “late night jazz” feel that No 1 doesn’t have, I love it

08. KevinM - Sonata in C Major, Second Movement K545
Lovely rippling flow to this, with the melody singing out over the perfectly controlled accompaniment

09. peterws - Jesu joy
Just the right sense of appreciation of life coming through your version of this piece on this sunny lockdown Feb morning

10. wouter79 - op.45 sailor's song (n.14) and sternness (n.12)
Interesting and very well played

[b]11. pianist685 (Constantin) - Ragtime Nightingale

Terrific, I really enjoyed this

12. Rich D. - The Sunken Cathedral
Lovely

13. Tim Adrianson - Eight Variations on "Shalom Chaverim"
Very interesting, and beautifully played. A second, closer listen really paid off on this one for me

[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Regarding the Zip files, I do use them occasionally, but it would only be a minor inconvenience not to have them. Furthermore, due to a recent change in my personal tech set up I think I'm much less likely to use them in future

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
8. Kevin- Really well played. It just flows!

9. Peter- I tried to find this on your youtube but, alas, I failed. So I listened to your gymnopede instead. Both your Satie and this Bach are played very well. The bach is very lively and , well, joyful! Go figure.

10. Wouter- Very dramatic! Masterfully played.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Wow, I only just started listening, but already this is an amazing collection of performances!! Bravo, everyone!

01. Ido - Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1 Great job, very nicely played!

02. JJHLH - Prelude in B Major, Op. 2 No. 2 I was not familiar with this piece but I really enjoyed your performance!

03. Flygbladet - Fractured thoughts of what never was Interesting piece and I love the title!

04. Cesare San Martino - Marklings - Courante from French Suite #3 in B Minor Great job! I've been listening to more Bach these days and wanting to play some of these. I'm not there yet, but your recording is inspiring!

05. Peyton - Melody Beautiful! I thought this was a really compelling piece, and yes, I can tell it's all about the melody! You wrote "I can play it for an hour, adding arpeggios and runs galore" -- I would love to listen to that!!

06. Ganddalf - Nocturno thank you for introducing me to this, I hadn't heard this piece before but I enjoyed your performance!

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No.2 Wonderful! I have always loved the Gnossiennes and I really enjoyed your performance! Have you played #4? I'd love to hear you do that one as well!

08. KevinM - Sonata in C Major, Second Movement K545 This is such a charming piece and you brought that aspect out just perfectly! Very well played!

09. peterws - Jesu joy I really enjoyed your recording! The reverence definitely comes through, nice job!
I've tried to play this many times, and I only ever succeeded with the simplest, most stripped down arrangements, which was never satisfying. I could really relate to what you wrote -- "Piano playing is a sobering business," yes it is! I think the trick is not to listen to your own recital submission after you've entered it! grin
We are all our own worst critics!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
44. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Piano Sonata No. 8 (Pathetique), II. Adagio cantabile bSharp, this is a very peaceful and relaxing piece. It did draw me in and I enjoyed it very much. Nice playing. A question from your video, it looks like you are sitting quite far from yhr keys. This caught my attention as I think I usually sit to close. Clearly this is not affecting your playing in any way, but I was curious about it.

Thanks for listening!

My girlfriend said that as well, but I'm thinking it might be distorted because of how the video came out, recording 640x480 and stuffing it into an HD container thereby stretching it horizontally.

I have moved further away from the keys in the past year, based on feedback from my teacher. And I was practicing the beginning section of the first movement before recording this. My teacher wanted me to sit back further and use my entire body on those beginning chords.

Anyway, I think the bench might have been slightly angled too. I wasn't planning to submit anything this time around. I was about to go out onto our new patio and do some work and thought I might to try squeeze in a recording. It came out decent enough to submit smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I don't have time to respond to all the pieces, but there have been quite a few recordings in this recital that I've enjoyed very much that I can relate to.

Please remember for my submission I uploaded the wrong recording (The uploaded recording was using the Vienna Imperial virtual piano which was different than was described in the notes).

A really lovely interpretation of one of my favourite pieces. Thank you Ido for this lovely start to the recital.

A certain haunting quality to the melody of this brief piece.

Wistful, longing, sorrow. This piece is very evocative of loss. So well played to capture this feeling.

05. Peyton - Melody
This is just lovely. What an interesting melody. You should be so proud of this composition.

What a lovely interpretation. A contemplative listen.

Confusion reigns supreme. I hope you will listen to my intended recording on vimeo. Recording on Vimeo using the TrueKeys German Grand virtual piano.

14. Ruth CM - Of Foreign Lands and People (Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1)
I love how you bring out the different voices so that each is clear. What a lovely interpretation and I wish I could get as good feel as you do of using ritardo for the tempo variation. I never feel like I get there and you clearly don't have that problem.

15. navindra (Navindra Umanee) - Gymnopedie No. 1
So well done. This is a proper mood piece, atmospheric and you've captured that feel of it so well. I really like the clarity that the pianoteq version gives to each note in the second half.

16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Nocturne Op 62 No 1
Just superb, beautiful timings where the occasional use of tiny pauses works so nicely to highlight the note to come. Just the right sensitive touch. I think you can tell I just loved it with the rich sound of your piano.

17. psyche23 (Edwin) - Forgotten Melodies 1, Op. 38 No. 8 'Alla Reminiscenza'
Beautiful. The crystal like clarity of each of the melody notes is just right.

21. JustinDAggie - Song Without Words, "Passion" (Agitato) Op. 38 No. 5
What a return to the recitals. Agitato it is. I very much like the Songs Without Words and this one is no exception. It almost feels like your fingers are having fun with it.

25. Snejana - August Sun
Stunning, this is wonderful. Beautiful piece played so well.

27. dumka1 - Nocturne Op. 9 no. 2
A lovely flow to this, it breathes so well. Thank you.

28. QuasiUnaFantasia - Five piano pieces op. 3,5: "Alfedans"
Starts off haunting, then feels like it gets angry, then fearful and unsure. Well done, I enjoyed the listen.

32. PikaPianist - Valse Lente
So sweet, I love it, played so well.

33. ShiroKuro - September Song
I think you put yourself down. This is wonderful, so sensitively played. You've done it.

34. Peter Hontaru - Traumerei
A great interpretation. At the start I wasn't sure, I think PianoGrlNW comment is right about the pause and that can feel it disrupts the melody. But as I continued on listening I felt your interpretation was interesting. I've been learning this piece as well and I enjoyed hearing your interpretation for contrast.

39. Mosotti - Etude in A minor, Op. 27 No. 3
That was so much fun. I know how hard these short fast pieces can be.

40. Greta99 - Gai Printemps, Impromptu, Op. 11 no. 1
Another fun piece with some interesting tempo variations.

43. Sam S - Song Without Words op 67-3
I love this SWW and really enjoyed your playing of it. One day I'll have the confidence to give it a go, a long way down the track for me.

44. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Piano Sonata No. 8 (Pathetique), II. Adagio cantabile
A favourite and I can hearing that singing voice coming through. Lovely.

47. AssociateX (Liz) - Nocturne Op. 48 # 1 in C minor
Wow Liz. Such passion, I enjoyed the occasional little flourishes of the hand. You bring out the melody so well. I'm so glad you upgraded how you record, I feel like we can now hear your excellent playing as we should.

49. Calavera - Title Back (Bland Logo)
Really enjoyed this. Really interesting variation in moods which you achieved well.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Some more comments.

06. Ganddalf - Nocturno Beautifully performed and played with confidence. You’ve inspired me to learn this piece.

19. selfishplayer - Nocturne Op. 32 No. 2 in A-flat Major Beautiful opening. I think if you change the pedal on the harmonic shifts you will hear a cleaner sound. I noticed you sped up and slowed down, so not a consistent tempo.

23. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Summer Evening Waltz Op. 1 Interesting piece with a macabre edge that you captured beautifully. Played with a lot of energy, forward momentum, and dynamic contrasts. Your notes are so clearly articulated and you achieve a gorgeous sound from your piano.

41. Talao - March in D Major (BWV Anh. 122) Enjoyable performance with a full sound and clearly articulated notes. Nice balance between the hands.

44. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Piano Sonata No. 8 (Pathetique), II. Adagio cantabile I like your steady tempo and your voicing. Bravo!

47. AssociateX (Liz) - Nocturne Op. 48 # 1 in C minor This is one of the most technically difficult of Chopin nocturnes with the rapid dense chords and double octaves. I really liked the opening section which effectively conveyed a sense of foreboding. I don’t really hear the few contrasting pp’s. The crescendos could be more gradual so as not to get to fff too soon.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great recital! I enjoyed listening to it all, it's an amazing thing to be a part of. I extend my heartiest thanks to Sam, and to every participant, for making this recital a reality.

Beautiful. Simply right in every way.

Sweet and elegant.

Very nice; you have beautiful fractured thoughts.

Impressive playing; the tempo was not too slow in my opnion.

05. Peyton - Melody
Great melody (and the accompaniment too).

06. Ganddalf - Nocturno
Expertly played, and very pleasant. I would never have guessed the composer.

The Gnossiennes are great, and your rendition was haunting and mysterious. smile

Impressively restrained and consistent, and a delightfully light touch.

09. peterws - Jesu joy
Great rendition, and I'm floored by how acoustic you make Pianoteq sound.

10. wouter79 - op.45 sailor's song (n.14) and sternness (n.12)
Very fine playing, and a good recording too. The music was new to me.

11. pianist685 (Constantin) - Ragtime Nightingale
Elegant and polished; it made me reminisce about old Chaplin movies.

12. Rich D. - The Sunken Cathedral
Excellent! Dark, ominous, and poised mood all the way through.

13. Tim Adrianson - Eight Variations on "Shalom Chaverim"
Quite lovely, and completely new to me. Was that "Simple gifts" being hinted at a lot near the end?

14. Ruth CM - Of Foreign Lands and People (Kinderszenen Op.15 No.1)
Flawless, and very brisk.

15. navindra (Navindra Umanee) - Gymnopedie No. 1
Lovely, and very relaxing. Well done!

16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Nocturne Op 62 No 1
Impressive performance! And interesting piece; I thought I heard arabic influence towards the end.

17. psyche23 (Edwin) - Forgotten Melodies 1, Op. 38 No. 8 'Alla Reminiscenza'
Beautiful. Very elegant.

18. Ted Jones - Temporal Lobe Vortex (conclusion)
A cornucopia of ideas; almost too much to take in, in that amount of time.

19. selfishplayer - Nocturne Op. 32 No. 2 in A-flat Major
Animated and spirited, with maybe a bit more pedal than I would have expected.

20. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road
Nice cover, and great video (but apparently a residual hum in the audio).

21. JustinDAggie - Song Without Words, "Passion" (Agitato) Op. 38 No. 5
Stormy performance. Great tempo.

22. Maira713 - Egyptian Ballet Dance
Excellent; for one months experience: amazing!

23. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Summer Evening Waltz Op. 1
It does sound like an amusement park is involved. smile Very well played!

24. vte - Character piece Op 46 No 12
Very impressive for a years work. Well done!

25. Snejana - August Sun
Felt very nice and warm. smile

26. JB_PW (Jen) - Gedenkblatt, Op 138 No 7
Highly pensive piece, played very well.

27. dumka1 - Nocturne Op. 9 no. 2
It is a beautiful piece, and you played it beautifully. The tempo seemed absolutely fine.

28. QuasiUnaFantasia - Five piano pieces op. 3,5: "Alfedans"
My own contribution ... Well, maybe I should have played it faster (oh, wait, I couldn't, so there's that).

29. jamiecw - Douce Reverie: No.21 from Album pour infants Op.39
Beautiful, and evocative.

30. rwsavory - Les Barricades Mysterieuses
Interesting piece; it doesn't sound nearly as old as it must be. Good job!

31. Purrblast - Little Prelude in E Major (BWV 937)
Impeccable, as far as I can tell.

32. PikaPianist - Valse Lente
Absolutely excellent.

33. ShiroKuro - September Song
Nice and elegant.

34. Peter Hontaru - Traumerei
Very nice, well played.

35. Jason Lenthe - Sonata in D Major K 430
Scarlatti is really outside my comfort zone, but you played it well. Engaging and vivacious performance.

36. barbaram - Evgeni's Waltz
Well done! Kind of entrancing.

37. Rachtoven - Chopin Preludes 7 and 20
Fine performances. Good tempo, and good dynamics.

38. winterflower - Light through the Trees
Interesting piece. Quite mysterious mood.

39. Mosotti - Etude in A minor, Op. 27 No. 3
Fun and sprightly.

40. Greta99 - Gai Printemps, Impromptu, Op. 11 no. 1
Delightful; you have an admirably light touch.

41. Talao - March in D Major (BWV Anh. 122)
Very controlled. An impeccable performance, right down to the bow. smile

42. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 4 in D minor (BWV 775)
Very fine work; you're off to a good start.

43. Sam S - Song Without Words op 67-3
Masterful. Great dynamic control.

44. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Piano Sonata No. 8 (Pathetique), II. Adagio cantabile
Wonderful performance! Bodes well for the first movement.

45. Zoe - Tantalizing Tango
Well done! Confident performance with nice dynamics.

46. facdo - Fugue No.2 in C Minor, BWV 847
Really excellent playing. Hearing it, makes me want to tackle a Bach fugue (and I'm normally Bach averse).

47. AssociateX (Liz) - Nocturne Op. 48 # 1 in C minor
Riveting performance. Well done, on both you and Chopin.

48. Piano_Primo - Winter Light
Beautiful, and elegant.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
21 Justin D'Aggie

You deserve a beer or two after that performance. Very busy you were. and it stops so suddenly and the Grammerly advert comes on! I hate that . . . your playing was something I couldn't fault. Piano sounds great!

22 Maira 713

This forum is for new players, of which many of us have progressed to old! you did great on this piece, and your piano too. Onwards and upwards!

23 sma55

Fluency and expertise we expect from you, sir! And this was a bit special. Loved the simple waltzy feel to this, played with aplomb.

24 vte

A lot of progress has been made in a short time here. This is complex, and thiugh the piano might've sounded a tad indistict, the playing was not.

25 Snejana

A fine echo-y Einaudi type sound here. Takes you to a a place where the ir is clean, and sharply fresh. An Ice-Mountain. Lovely sound! Unusual finish . . .

26 JP-PW Jen

Very good piano you have. And you play this tuneful piece beautifully.

27 Dumka 1

This is never overplayed; it's Chopin's most popular probably. You don't have to be a genius to play it well. and you play it evocatively and fluently. we can all tell you enjoy doing it!

28 QuasiUnaFantasia

Great sound here. Dynamics good. Expression excellent. You Passed!

29 jamieCW

Great work here. You played it sensitively and it flowed well.

30 RwsAvery

Good thing about this recital as with the others; we get to hear new stuff. You do a good job on this, and a bit more time'll sort out any shortfalls.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Great recital! I enjoyed listening to it all, it's an amazing thing to be a part of. I extend my heartiest thanks to Sam, and to every participant, for making this recital a reality.

Blimey! You did 'em all in one . . .wouldn't dare do that. I'd slip up and lose everything . . .like I usually do! . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Blimey! You did 'em all in one . . .wouldn't dare do that. I'd slip up and lose everything . . .like I usually do! . . .

Ah, but you see, whereas you're generous with words and sentences in your comments, I'm an absolute miser, so my comments fit nicely into one post. grin

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
I
Ido Offline
I
Thank you so much for commenting on my performance, I truly appreciate it. This is the first batch, I'm taking my time because I want to give proper comments and I listen several times to each submission.

What a little gem. I loved it.

I think the title you gave to the piece is appropriate.
I found it very moving, like it came from the heart. Really beautiful.

Beautifully done. Really good performance, the ornaments are done with good taste.

05. Peyton - Melody
Beautiful. It reminds me a bit of Mendelssohn. I liked the development throughout the piece.

06. Ganddalf - Nocturno
A nice romantic piece. I like the playing and phrasing.

Love this piece. I found your interpretation different than what I'm used to hear and that is refreshing.
I think it's very challenging to capture the feeling that the lack of bar lines is trying to suggest, but once it is achieved, it makes a real difference.

The notes are really clear and it looks like this is easy for you technically. I do feel, however, that you could make more out of it, if I may suggest something:
The rhythm is way too strict, almost metronomic. This piece calls for a relaxed timing. You have many opportunities to do so - for example the modulations, the turnarounds. They call for dynamic and temporal variance.
You are rushing in the dotted rhythm - e.g. at 0:20 - better be late there than early IMO. Another example is at 3:45 where the piece returns from minor to major, it feels very rushed. I think you should not be afraid to linger on some notes, arrive late at some notes, pause, etc. You may have to experiment with it, even exaggerate a bit, then listen to the recording and decide on how much.

09. peterws - Jesu joy
Your posts are hilarious smile
This is such a refreshing take on this classic. I love it. Couldn't stop listening.
I've also recently listened to another one of your submissions (Waldszenen No.1) and it was beautiful.
You are a great musician!

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
So I had a problem with the ftp connection this morning for the zip files. Normally I zip up the recordings into chunks and upload them to the server so people can grab them if they want. Of course, we have been doing this since recital #9, ages ago.

Sam

I want as high as possible quality and therefore click on the links one by one. So I don't use the zip files.

You can buy USB DVD burners. You just plug them in, macos recognises the empty disk, you drop in the files, and then burn. Works still for empty CD's as well. But if you really want CD quality I think you should use the original recordings, not mp3's

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
A
Thank you QuasiunaFantasia, Sam, and Zoe for your comments on my piece smile I am glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Talão
Thank you for the feedback, Andres! Agree 100%. I try to be conscious of this, but don't always succeed in making it different enough. I did attempt a couple of changes in the repeat of the second half. It's subtle, but your comment tells me it didn't come across as much as I intended.

As for the NT5, so far so good. I like them. I spent quite a while researching: what are good mics for piano that don't cost an arm and a leg? :-) I do feel like the NT5s maximize the bang/buck function.
Well I gave it another listen and paid more attention this time and could notice some more details than on my first listen. I think you did great Talao :))
Thanks for your comments on the NT5. I might consider them. They are a bit pricey around here but maybe I am just being cheap hah :P

Here some new comments on the recital pieces:
02. JJHLH - Prelude in B Major, Op. 2 No. 2 Well done! Scriabin is slowly becoming one of my favorite composers and this prelude is going to my list of future pieces. Beautiful touch and playing. Thanks for choosing this piece smile and lovely painting

03. Flygbladet - Fractured thoughts of what never was this was lovely. I really liked that you did not decided to rush it, and also the space you gave between phrases. It helped to build a nice atmosphere for the message of the piece. Great!

12. Rich D. - The Sunken Cathedral Lovely playing and lovely piano sound Rich! I am only now starting to listen to Debussy's works. This piece was very interesting and very well played. One can tell you really enjoy this type of compositions.

13. Tim Adrianson - Eight Variations on "Shalom Chaverim" This was great Tim. You always with very polished performances. Thanks for showing us some new music. The only thing I noticed is that the recording got distorted sometimes, mostly in the loudest parts. Maybe the gain was set too high(?) or was it maybe only me(?) I listened through heaphones. Great anyways! smile

22. Maira713 - Egyptian Ballet Dance Well done Maira! very well played. The first piece aside from your methods book is always a special one. I also used mine for my first submission in these recitals. One can tell you are really passionate about learning piano and are enjoying the journey. Keep the hard work smile

23. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Summer Evening Waltz Op. 1 Second piece by Merikanto I have heard today and I liked it a lot. I think I might be checking his other compositions. This was lovely and I liked the sound of your S&S. The final section is very tumultuous, breaking the steadiness of the waltz. That was my favorite section. Amazing recording.

32. PikaPianist - Valse Lente This was so beautiful!! I love your recordings and this one might be one of my favorites. Thanks for introducing to us these less known pieces. I loved your phrasing, very good stuff.

33. ShiroKuro - September Song Lovely playing ShiroKuro. I do not know the piece, but I think you did very good. It is very easy to tell that you love what you are playing and that is essential.

43. Sam S - Song Without Words op 67-3 Lovely playing Sam! smile I liked your changes in dynamics. You gave a nice character to the piece. I really need to listen more Mendelssohn.

Inspired adult beginner, melomaniac
M&H Model 50 (Dumbo), Kawai CA49. Previously: Sabel S123 (Tucan)
What I have been learning
PW Listening Party
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission