2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (EinLudov, 24000rpm, 1957, Chris888, ando, Animisha, CianistAndPomposer, 11 invisible), 505 guests, and 437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Do you have anything to offer besides your own advertising?

Semipro Tech
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Agree: Ed, you always jump into threads going on and on about how great your work is, with content that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
As negative as this may sound, you will NEVER change the corporate mind set. They don't want things to last. In their minds that would put them out of business. They don't think idealistically (you can tell them till you're blue In the face), but rather profits now.

David Stanwood also advocated for manufacturers to adopt some of his protocols...no dice, not a one. I remember hearing him say: "manufacturers should do this, and that, and if they did this the result would be..." all beneficial to the end consumer with long term maintenance and rebuilding in mind. Not one manufacturer has listened (to my knowledge...correct me if I am wrong).

Pianos have long been designed and built with a roughly 30-40 year working lifespan in mind (manufacturers). The Stanwood approach is a micro-management of weight/friction/balance. It works, and works well. Manufacturers are not interested in this. It must be done post manufacturing, on a private level. It is hard to break long held ideas, even though they are "wrong".

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
B
BDB Offline
B
I am not convinced that any method is more or less "wrong."

Semipro Tech
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
If pianists understood how negligent piano makers are, then some of them would apply pressure to them. I agree Techs applying the pressure does nothing. Pressure must come from the market.

But if we Techs banded together and promoted critical specifications for standard design features found in pianos, I believe enough buyers would go into piano stores and state that any piano they buy must meet these standards.

A few calls from dealers to factories inquiring why these standards aren't met would change the whole conversation.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by P W Grey
David Stanwood also advocated for manufacturers to adopt some of his protocols...no dice, not a one. I remember hearing him say: "manufacturers should do this, and that, and if they did this the result would be..." all beneficial to the end consumer with long term maintenance and rebuilding in mind. Not one manufacturer has listened (to my knowledge...correct me if I am wrong).

Don't get me wrong, but one voodoo technician supposedly telling manufacturers something doesn't really make a case for anything.

Who were those manufacturers and what positions did the people he supposedly talked to hold at those manufacturers?

Methinks this is just another maverick full of himself without the track record of actually working in a factory, being familiar with processes in an industrial environment and proof of results that are actually available to look into from a purely scientific point of view. There's a reason why Steinway worked with Helmholtz and not with that kind of mavericks that knew it all better, including the ones that their shed-made soundboards are better than the original ones.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Does Standwoods method shorten the lifespan of musical utility?
I want to know if my temporal life is being shortened.
Thanks,
-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
"Where Tone is Key"
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Deleted

Last edited by P W Grey; 02/13/21 09:01 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
"Wrong" was in quotes to signify that it is a matter of opinion. Their procedures are not wrong in themselves. They are in the business of making pianos for a market.

AFA Stanwood is concerned, the only one I personally heard him speak of was Steinway.

Del Fandrich spoke about the problem when he was in R&D at Baldwin. Often (not always though), ideas he came up with were praised but not implemented. Sales departments often override R&D departments. I don't know why...

And generally speaking they like to use processes that they themselves have developed, over someone else's...legal stuff, royalties, etc etc. Factories usually have their own good reasons for doing things the way they do. And I do respect that.

It is also possible I have taken this thread OT. Sorry.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
G
G
Originally Posted by OE1FEU
There's a reason why Steinway worked with Helmholtz...

I never knew this. Thank you for this comment and the rabbit hole I fell into afterward.
This page has a clip from the Helmholtz piano and you can clearly hear the modern Steinway tone starting to blossom.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
There's a reason why Steinway worked with Helmholtz and not with that kind of mavericks that knew it all better, including the ones that their shed-made soundboards are better than the original ones.

Steinway started out in his kitchen. It's a good thing for the piano industry that he wasn't too proud to start out humbly. Everybody starts somewhere. Well, at least those who've actually given something a go. wink

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by George Smith
There's a reason why Steinway worked with Helmholtz...

I never knew this. Thank you for this comment and the rabbit hole I fell into afterward.
This page has a clip from the Helmholtz piano and you can clearly hear the modern Steinway tone starting to blossom.
Thank you for posting the Hemholtz piano link. That piano SINGS in the Steinway way. Do we know if it was straight strung?

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
This one is cross-strung. I am not sure whether Steinway actually built straight strung ones in concert grand size at all.

B
BDB Offline
B
Steinway started using cross-stringing quite some time before consulting Helmholtz. It is difficult to say whether what Helmholtz brought to Steinway resulted in any significant improvements. I think that the improvements that Steinway brought to piano design was more from experimentation than theories derived from physics, and that is probably true of all manufacturers.

I am not even certain what constitutes an improvement. Our language is so inadequate for discussing the characteristics that people use to evaluate a piano that discussion is difficult, if not impossible. Beyond that, people have different tastes.

Semipro Tech
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by BDB
It is difficult to say whether what Helmholtz brought to Steinway resulted in any significant improvements.

It's actually quite easy to say. Helmholtz was the one to develop the concept of passive string vibrations which led to the invention of the front and rear duplex scale.

B
BDB Offline
B
There is never any significant difference between the notes that have the duplex scale and the notes that do not, nothing that could be picked out in a blind test.

Semipro Tech
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
There was some double blind testing of front Duplex with listeners seated in an auditorium and there was clear difference in projection of undamped front duplex treble notes. I don't recall the source to name it but it was about 20 years ago.

Helmholtz and Steinway did err in thinking that the pitch relationship between front duplex and speaking length should be whole number ratios. There are a few Steinway's from around 1872 with precisely "tuned" front duplexes and they make much "noise" when voiced for full brilliance. Later front duplex versions exhibit some degree of detuning but no reasons are to be found in the literature I have seen.

The Duplex Scale Patent of 1872 describes front and rear duplex in whole number ratios with the speaking length.

What Steinway did get correct in the 1872 patent is that the ideal string termination allows the stiff piano wire to pivot across the termination. This reduces internal damping and allows more deflection by the hammer of the shorter strings per unit of strike energy delivered. In other words it makes a short string seem more flexible to the hammer.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
B
Of course, even if that test was conducted properly, it was not testing what I said about duplex scales.

Semipro Tech
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by P W Grey
David Stanwood also advocated for manufacturers to adopt some of his protocols...no dice, not a one.

Don't get me wrong, but one voodoo technician supposedly telling manufacturers something doesn't really make a case for anything.

Who were those manufacturers and what positions did the people he supposedly talked to hold at those manufacturers?

Methinks this is just another maverick full of himself without the track record of actually working in a factory, being familiar with processes in an industrial environment and proof of results that are actually available to look into from a purely scientific point of view. There's a reason why Steinway worked with Helmholtz and not with that kind of mavericks that knew it all better, including the ones that their shed-made soundboards are better than the original ones.

Greeting,s
Methinks the reply indicates some ignorance about David Stanwood. Those that have familiarized themselves with his research and results, including American and European factories, are not likely to use words like voodoo or maverick to describe him or his protocols. The level of refinement he has designed is no more applicable to most piano production processes than the tolerances of a racing engine are to the family sedan, but for those of us that rebuild actions from inconsistent makers, his science is hard to beat.
Regards, .

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Methinks the reply indicates some ignorance about David Stanwood. Those that have familiarized themselves with his research and results, including American and European factories, are not likely to use words like voodoo or maverick to describe him or his protocols.

Enlighten me, please. Can you give any specifics about the companies, departments, persons in charge and actual changes in production, research and development involved? Has any of this ever been acknowledged, let alone published?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Built in speaker or external steron peakers
by Jojovan - 04/18/21 07:09 AM
Heintzman at the White House?
by Retsacnal - 04/18/21 12:43 AM
Yamaha p45 vs YDP 144 vs Roland rp102
by Shortshoppy - 04/17/21 11:48 PM
Action Regulation on 1982 Steinway B
by Harpuia - 04/17/21 11:34 PM
Estonia pianos though the years?
by PeterV73 - 04/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,370
Posts3,083,716
Members101,227
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission