2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (Falsch, FloRi89, ando, clothearednincompo, bluebilly, Beansparrow, FrankCox, colinstead, 7 invisible), 422 guests, and 419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
whited Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hi, I hope it's alright that my first post is one seeking help. I'll try to make this somewhat specific.

My scenario:
My son has been playing a digital Casio Privia for a few years and he very much needs an acoustic piano. Here is a recent (remote) recital to give you an idea of where he is: Youtube Link
Now I have essentially no ability to play, but I do remain involved with the development of his playing and technique. That said, we've spent a couple trips to showrooms trying various pianos and my son is possibly a bit too young and I'm a bit too ignorant to really know when we play a ringer.

The pianos:
We're definitely at the point where we're exclusively shopping for a grand piano. My son definitely like a warmer sound e.g. he played & likes a new Kawai GL-50, and a 1996 Schimmel around 5'10" (I wish I can remember the model #). He does not like any Yamaha he tried. He also liked a pre-owned Boston GP-178. Here are his favored ones listed:
Boston GP-178: pre-owned, for sale by Steinway, $24000
Schimmel about 5'10" from 1996, for sale by a local piano dealer, $20000
Kawai GL-50, new from the same local piano dealer, $18,500

My son doesn't really have a clear favorite among his 3 preferred above. I personally like the Kawai brand, and specifically the GL-50 my son played based on the combination of sound, price, and the fact it's got a 10 year warranty. I can afford around $20k at the end of the day, but I must say my budget started closer to $10k before we started visiting showrooms.

So here is where I need advice:
If I put in the effort to be thrifty, can I find a piano just as nice if not better for around $10k to maybe up to $15k? I can't help but wonder if I shift directions I may find a 10 or 20 year old Kawai (RX?) for around $12k. Similarly I believe there are some other solid pianos in the $12k price range if I put effort and due diligence in searching (which I think I could do). On the other hand, is a $18.5k GL-50 a great deal? Should I aim higher than a GL if my budget stretches to $20k?

Ok I asked a bunch of questions at the end, but that's where I'm at right now. Wish me luck and thanks for your help.

N
N
It would help to know where you are looking and how far you would travel to try pianos.

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
You might look here for new Kawai prices. 18.5 k for a new Kawai GL-50 seems to be a very good deal. Go for it.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/kawai/

D
D
18.5K for GL-50 is a great deal, and I would try GX-2 if the price is only 1-2k higher than GL-50.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I have to chime in to suggest that, if you’re near the Philadelphia area, Cunningham Piano Co. would be absolutely worth a trip. They have a great selection of instruments, and their Cunningham Matchless grands are, in my personal opinion, superb. Very well worth an audition! I’m certain Rich Galassini would be more than happy to show you around, he’s a great guy, and Cunningham has an excellent reputation. 👍😊https://www.cunninghampiano.com/

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another vote here for the Kawai based purely on the info you provided, hands down, no hesitation.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
R
R
We bought a new Kawai GL40 last year and have really enjoyed it. I played several more expensive pianos before selecting it. Only the Shigeru Kawai Concert Grand I tried out was better but just a wee bit out of my price range. I played the GL40 right next to an GX2, and I preferred the sound of the GL, particularly in the bass. Of course, all pianos are different, even of the same model. The GL50 is an excellent choice if you like the sound. Great price!

Last edited by rwsavory; 02/14/21 12:10 AM.
R
R
I just watched the YouTube video of your son, and he would definitely benefit from the action of a brand new piano. Very impressive! Time to write that check, Dad. 😄

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum. FRom what you have said I would go for the Kawai.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
W
whited Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Wow what a great help to be reassured the GL-50 is a solid choice! I am in NJ, very close to NYC and I know there are many places to see pianos.

On paper, what do you think of these compared to the new GL-50? I am thinking about bringing my son to Caruso Pianos showroom to try them. I don't mind within reason paying higher maintenance and upkeep over time given the upfront savings over the new GL-50. I'd hire a technician before purchasing. But on paper might these be as good if not better (or worse) instruments for my son?
Baldwin R, 1994, $10k
Kawaii RX-2, 1995, 12.9k
Mason and Hamlin model A, restored in the past 30 years, $12.5k
There are more, but this gives an idea of what he'll try. If I come up to the new GL-50 price point there are some early 1900s steinways to consider too.

I'll let you know what he thinks after seeing them.

Originally Posted by rwsavory
I just watched the YouTube video of your son, and he would definitely benefit from the action of a brand new piano. Very impressive! Time to write that check, Dad. 😄

Ha ha thank you. My friends half jokingly / half seriously tell me it's a travesty I've not gotten a proper instrument for him yet. In any case I'm taking the process seriously!

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A new Kawai either a. GL50 or a GX2, whichever your son likes better would be wonderful. Since you’re in NJ, you could visit the Cunningham Piano dealership in Cherry Hills NJ or in King of Prussia PA. They have the Cunningham Matchless Grands that are very reasonably priced and very impressive. Rich Cunningham is also a Yamaha dealer so your son could check out some of the Yamahas available. Yamahas tend to be slightly more expensive than Kawai but it never hurts to try a variety. Ebonyk did buy a beautiful Cunningham piano and her thread is still up on the first or second page of the Piano Forum with pictures. Best Wishes on your piano adventure!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Of the 3 options you have posted above, IMO 1995 RX-2 sounds best. If your technician approves and your son likes it go for it.

I would rule out the other two.

R
R
My opinion, with your young son being such a dedicated player, I would opt for a brand new instrument. The big issue with maintenance of older pianos is not necessarily the cost, it’s the time, inconvenience, and frustration, sometimes, especially with parts of the action that don’t work properly.

Originally Posted by whited
Wow what a great help to be reassured the GL-50 is a solid choice! I am in NJ, very close to NYC and I know there are many places to see pianos.

On paper, what do you think of these compared to the new GL-50? I am thinking about bringing my son to Caruso Pianos showroom to try them. I don't mind within reason paying higher maintenance and upkeep over time given the upfront savings over the new GL-50. I'd hire a technician before purchasing. But on paper might these be as good if not better (or worse) instruments for my son?
Baldwin R, 1994, $10k
Kawaii RX-2, 1995, 12.9k
There are more, but this gives an idea of what he'll try. If I come up to the new GL-50 price point there are some early 1900s steinways to consider too.

Ha ha thank you. My friends half jokingly / half seriously tell me it's a travesty I've not gotten a proper instrument for him yet. In any case I'm taking the process seriously!

Baldwin R, 1994, $10k
Kawaii RX-2, 1995, 12.9k

Baldwin R, 1994, $10k
Kawaii RX-2, 1995, 12.9k

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to Piano World!

I watched the YT vid of your son playing, and he plays very well, and at such a young age! He will only get better in time.

All the pianos you have mentioned would be good, and it is hard to advise you on what to buy. We all have our own preferences and biases that would strongly influence any advice we could give.

I would suggest buying the piano your entire family likes best, and is in line with your budget.

As for buying new or used, again that is going to be a decision you will have to make. I will say that good quality pianos can last a very long time, although any machine made of wood, felt and metal will wear over time. I will say, however, that if your budget is a concern, you can likely get more piano for less money buying used, in good condition, of course. But, again, that is my own personal opinion.

Buy what feels right to you, your son and your family! smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
G
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
G
Your son plays well and would benefit from a good instrument but the warning flag to me is that he does not have a distinct preference for one of the pianos over the others. The implication of that is that as he plays more and becomes attuned to the nuances of acoustics he will develop a preference and, statistically given the number of different pianos out there, the one he really come to like is unlikely to be the one you purchase now.

So my suggestion is to review your budget and decide what amount you consider appropriate to spend assuming you'll change the piano after a few years rather than it being a forever purchase. If it still remains within budget after that consideration the RX-2 starts to look attractive as it is a fine piano in its own right and a used model generally depreciates much less than a new one. The other good alternative is to keep looking with your son playing more and more different pianos until you son falls in love with one and is clear that no other will do.

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
David -

I just posted an appreciative comment on YouTube re your son's playing - thank you again for posting that, it's just a pleasure. Ater closing the browser I realized the *sound* was, imo, also very natural (no metallic-ness that I hear in so many digital pianos). If/when you have a chance, I'd enjoy info about the recording setup.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Go check out forte piano in Paramus.

https://www.fortepianonj.com/

Friendly, knowledgeable people that will help you find your piano just in case you haven't decided on one already.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
W
whited Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Awesome, it sounds like I need to check out Cunningham based on multiple recommendations. At the same time, my wife and I are getting closer to pulling the trigger on the gl-50 based on everyone's help here, thanks!

Originally Posted by pwl
David -

I just posted an appreciative comment on YouTube re your son's playing - thank you again for posting that, it's just a pleasure. Ater closing the browser I realized the *sound* was, imo, also very natural (no metallic-ness that I hear in so many digital pianos). If/when you have a chance, I'd enjoy info about the recording setup.

Thanks, that will make my son's day! Glad you asked: I used a Tascam DR44-WL digital recorder. The setup was nothing special, just put the recorder on a stand behind the bench slightly higher than my son's head and hoped for the best. The sound is much improved over my phone. I have to admit I'm looking forward to recording an acoustic piano. (Being thrifty as usual, I got the recorder used from Adorama).

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I’ll say this to my PW friends as well as the OP. Not everyone relishes a 5 year search and trying countless different models and brands for their first acoustic grand. If the OP’s son finds piano shopping interesting, great. If the son finds it tedious and boring then just choose the new Kawai’s or the RX2 and enjoy. I think any of the three would suit any piano student, if he doesn’t really seem to have a preference, for his pianos studies at home and would be fine for anyone else in the family who
wants to play piano. That’s just my humble opinion.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Awesome, it sounds like I need to check out Cunningham based on multiple recommendations. At the same time, my wife and I are getting closer to pulling the trigger on the gl-50 based on everyone's help here, thanks!

The GL-50 is a really good deal, I agree! I do still suggest to have your son audition a few more pianos, especially the Matchless Cunninghams if possible. I had originally expected to purchase a GL-20 and ended up with the Cunningham Studio grand. The difference in sound is quite surprising and the prices are very similar. If the Cunningham shop is not a long drive for you, it might be good just to hear some different pianos before you pull the trigger. This is only my suggestion due to how my own situation turned out. The GL-50 is a nice piano, and if your son loves, that’s wonderful! No harm in hearing a few others, though, if you have the time. 😊👍

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
App or traditional lessons?
by holdmynote - 04/20/21 04:19 AM
Any mega sheet music books?
by michael wazowski - 04/20/21 03:56 AM
Bosendorfer VC
by wg73 - 04/20/21 03:00 AM
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,405
Posts3,084,313
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission