2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (AaronSF, CyberGene, antune, Anglagard44, brennbaer, clothearednincompo, CraiginNZ, 36251, 13 invisible), 620 guests, and 444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mmathew Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Due to some unforeseen family circumstances, I had to install my Kawai CA79 (~120 kg) in my basement. The basement is accessed by an awkward flight of stairs that go 7 steps down, takes a left 90 degree turn and 5 steps further down. To say it was an Herculean effort to get it down there would be a gross understatement. I had to unpack the piano in my garage, and with the (quite slippery to lift) covers still on, the main console had to be carried down by myself and three friends.

Family circumstances have changed for the better, and I now have the space to install the piano at the originally intended location in my living room. Picturing it there is urging me to take the necessary steps to plan this. I am starting by seeking advice from all you good folks. Even though this is not a grand, the location where it sits now makes this more complicated than moving the Feurich into Paul Barton's house.

I read an article at Home Depot that suggested using a metal ramp and a dolly. I don't have either of those and the good ones are upward of $500 each.

How do I proceed?
What tools and manpower would I need?
Not necessarily step-by-step, but what are the key steps and milestones?
If hiring pros is the best idea, where should I go look for?
Is it a bad idea? Should I just accept my situation and leave it there?

Would I ever get to change my sound cloud id (basement_pianist)? OK, I'll handle this last question laugh myself.

Thank you dear folks, happy playing and happy listening!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

Home Depot should have a rental department. They might have what you need.

From my own experience moving large, heavy objects up and down stairs:

. . . If you can hire an experienced mover, do that.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
L
L
Can you rent a frig dolly? They are good on stairs.

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
You say you have the CA79? That one comes apart. Take it apart and you should be able with a couple of friends carry it up the stairs to its new home and reassemble it.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
When moving heavy objects up stairs there's no substitute for a couple of really big and strong men to carry it.

A friend of mine was a professional boxer in his younger days. I used to call him. smile

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
I rented one of these to move a console piano:

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/detail/1216/0440084/dual-hand-truck-dolly-piano-dolly/

Frankly, it was overkill, but made a couple of short staircases easy. The handles gave a lot of control, stability and made it easy to lift. You and a strong friend could probably carry it up the steps, maybe 2 folks on the low end since it's a full flight of stairs.

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I keep my piano moving equipment in the same drawer with my emergency home brain surgery kit. That helps me remember why I shouldn't be doing either one.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EPW
You say you have the CA79? That one comes apart. Take it apart and you should be able with a couple of friends carry it up the stairs to its new home and reassemble it.

If it comes apart, and I think it does .... this is the answer, regardless of who does it.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Cal the store you bought it from, They will know people that can do this for you.

Or get three strong man and yourself and do it yourself.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Indeed. Moving a piano is for piano movers. Look online for the countless tales about unqualified people moving pianos ... wrecking the piano and often hospitalizing the "movers".
Originally Posted by MarkL
I keep my piano moving equipment in the same drawer with my emergency home brain surgery kit. That helps me remember why I shouldn't be doing either one.

T
T
The CA79 is 76 or 79kg (79 for the ebony). That’s still pretty heavy, but should be manageable for two strong people (ideally people who do manual labour or a lot of sport or similar). I’d detach it from the stand, which will remove 5-10kg, and make it less awkward to get around the corners. If you don’t have suitable strong people handy, I think it’s tricky but maybe possible to do it with 4 people, but sounds risky due to the restricted space on the stairs, so equipment or professionals might be a better option.

OP Online Content
I obviously got the weight wrong - yes! it is 75kg.

But,
Wow and simply WOW! It was like a well-guided thought process and good coaching, as I was reading and digesting your replies. Thank you ALL!

Decision: I raised a few requests for quotes at thumbtack, local home advisor, inserted pictures of the piano & stairs and specified the dimensions and weight. I will be personally dismantling the console and have it placed on the floor with the help of a friend.

The friends who helped me carry it down are pretty well-built and tough guys. They're just very busy people and I'm finding it delicate to call them again. I do believe at least a couple of them were not too happy the first time down the stairs, not because of the weight, but because I was being an a$$ harping on them continuously to take care with the handling :-(

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mmathew
The friends who helped me carry it down are pretty well-built and tough guys. They're just very busy people and I'm finding it delicate to call them again. I do believe at least a couple of them were not too happy the first time down the stairs, not because of the weight, but because I was being an a$$ harping on them continuously to take care with the handling :-(

Having "friends" involved with something like this is usually a bad idea.

If they end up damaging or worse .... ruining it, what are you going to do .... charge them for it ?

Friends can be lost over something like this.

If you can afford having this piano ... you can afford hiring professionals (bonded) to do this for you.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
O
O
Just moved the LX-705 downstairs (with help obviously). The staircase has winders both at the top, and the bottom - this is why it was awkward.

Professional movers took it upstairs in the first place... they had to unpack it out of its box in order to have the room to manoeuvre it round those corners.

Fortunately it comes in two pieces - the top half, and the bottom half which contains the speakers. If yours comes apart, that will help.

...BUT when it came to taking it back down again (despite having gravity on our side) it was an absolute PITA. Putting it back in its box wasn’t an option.

I had to rub every surface (on the top half) with IPA because it was so slippery (I thought it was the furniture polish)...but it was still slippery... so we went out to get rubberised gloves... and we literally had to take it down step by step. Wouldn’t have done it if it were a hard floor (thankfully I have nice thick carpet and underlay).

It’s not even got a PE finish and I was quite nervous. Perhaps I’d wrap it in a thick type of cling film next time (Roland delivery guys used that stuff on the original LX-705 that they took away - another thread required).

I’d happily pay for someone to do it next time. 👍

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 02/14/21 04:28 PM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
OP Online Content
I can't disagree with you both! Yes, I could afford the money and also time (2.5hrs drive one way) when buying this - so I'm looking to the pros for this. In the rare case I don't receive any response, I've bookmarked a couple of pages of moving equipment rentals - a dolly and a ramp. Hopefully, the pros will arrive for this one and I don't have to do it myself!

G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Suggestions for a 3.5mm > 3.5mm Cable
by mmathew - 04/17/21 05:09 PM
Playing by ear v Reading sheet music
by LarryShone - 04/17/21 04:20 PM
Why do used Baldwins seemed to sell for less than...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 04:00 PM
Cesar Mariano - Brazilian jazz piano
by jjo - 04/17/21 03:57 PM
Did many of the great piano compositions start out...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 03:40 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,354
Posts3,083,544
Members101,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission