2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
24 members (Ek81, Jo Martins, Alex C, Greta99, Damien PG, HZPiano, Kawai James, 3 invisible), 527 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 259 of 296 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 295 296
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Falsch
It feels as if the key requires, for example, a gram or so more down weight than the other keys to make a sound, and that I'm trying to play so extremely close to the maximum ppp capability of the NV-10, that this extra gram is just enough to cause the key not to sound.

Is this something I could report to my dealer to have this adjusted with any chance of success, or is something like this within the normal variation of an acoustic grand action? (i.e: even if adjusted, then in 5 years, there will be lots of these small differences; and in 10 years there will be even more, and then the entire action needs to be regulated.)

I don't know about the NV-10, but this is something that every pianist struggle with on regular grand pianos. There is even worse because in addition to action regulation, there is voicing of the hammers and string quality. Any tiny variation (e.g. a slight difference in the hammer hardness) can easily be hidden at mp and even p if the pianist is good, but it will be immediately evident at the ppp level. Kawai Millenium action on fine grand pianos and WNG are said to reduce this problem (Kawai advertising material says that its grands "speak loudest when they sound softest", WNG does not make such claiming themselves, but I've heard raving players about how perfectly even they can be when regulated and voiced by very fine technician). Just to make sure I am clear, here I'm talking about instruments costing 10x or more the NV-10 price. But asking cannot hurt.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
- There's one somewhat strange thing I noticed. When playing at some velocities, there is a sound at the end of the sample when you release the key; it sounds as if you tear a little bit of sticky tape from some surface. It could be the key-off resonance as recorded from the original piano. There was a similar sound on the XL-17, when I set the key-off resonance really high.

I discovered this little *snk* sound a little while back as wel, it's documented in this thread somewhere, along with recordings. It's definitely a release sample, because it follows the release (i.e., happens when you lift the key with damper up, but happens when you lift the pedal when damper down). It also doesn't trigger over midi I think, only from the keyboard. I reported it to Kawai, they sent a beta firmware that reduced the effect a bit, but I never heard back after (or learned if it was ever incorporated into an official firmware). I haven't bother following up due to covid, and it also doesn't happen on Classic, which I use 99% of the time. I think it's most audible on Full or Ballade characters.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro, Kawai NV-10
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Gombessa
[quote=Falsch]
I discovered this little *snk* sound a little while back as wel, it's documented in this thread somewhere, along with recordings. It's definitely a release sample, because it follows the release (i.e., happens when you lift the key with damper up, but happens when you lift the pedal when damper down). It also doesn't trigger over midi I think, only from the keyboard. I reported it to Kawai, they sent a beta firmware that reduced the effect a bit, but I never heard back after (or learned if it was ever incorporated into an official firmware). I haven't bother following up due to covid, and it also doesn't happen on Classic, which I use 99% of the time. I think it's most audible on Full or Ballade characters.

I can trigger this sound on Classic, but (as far as I'm able to determine) with only one particular velocity.

For me, it's also not audible through the piano's speakers, only through the Sennheisder HD 598 headphones or Shure SE 315 canal phones. I can't hear it through the Bose QC II noise canceling headphone, whatever I do. It seems you (I, at least) need a very sensitive and accurate headphone to actually be able to hear it.

The only reason I discovered this (and the somewhat different F4 key) is because I was trying to get to know the piano, the keyboard, and the renderings; so I was using the HD 598 as to not annoy my girlfriend with trying to play ppp scales and trying to control the different velocity grades.

The observations continue (I hope people aren't getting anooyed)...

- "The NV-10 should be silent when switched on" => Wrong. In the weekend I ended up playing until 3 AM (don't ask; on headphones, obviously), and when I stopped playing and took off the headphones, I heard it. The subwoofer emits a very slight "sssss" sound. Much, _much_ less than the LX-17. I can only hear this in the dead of night when it's totally silent, and even then I had to stick my head under the piano to be sure. To me, this is not an issue.
- To approach the default behavior of the soft pedal of the LX-17, I'll have to turn up the Soft Pedal setting in the VT to at least 8.
- The Damper Noise is so subtle that I have to turn that up to 7 or 8 out of 10, what the Roland does with setting 5 / 10.
- I turned the artifical Hammer Fallback off. In very quiet passages, I can hear the actual hammers falling back through the open-backed HD 598. It's irritating to hear this sound, AND hear the artificial hammer fallback noise.
- Classic Rendering with the resonances at 5, sounds absolutely fine. Maybe set it to 6 if you want some more... going up to 10 creates MASSIVE resonances. Just like the Full and Rich sounds... too much resonance for me. (Never thought I'd ever say that... but true.)
- I really dislike the volume knob... can't get used to it. I was used to the Roland showing me the exact volume in the screen, and remembering the one for both headphones and speakers. I think I'm going to steal JoBert's tie-wrap + sticker hack, and modify it a bit. I'll add the tie-wrap, and two tiny pieces of felt to either side as stops. One for the speaker setting, the other for the headphones. It feels ridiculous having to do that to an almost €9K instrument. I'll have to think about it.
- On the other hand, I absolutely love the favorites, as I also said before.
- "Store to Sound" in the VT stores the settings to the SK-EX Rendering engine. These settings will be in effect for all characters. (This means: if you set your Tone Control for Classic to Mellow 1, and then Store to Sound, the other renderings will also be on Mellow 1.) I have not yet tested what happens if I do NOT do "Store Settings to Sound" and then create a Favorite.
- The feeling of "hammer hitting a string" is caused by the keyboard; not by the actual hammer hitting the string. The NV-10 feels similar to the grand piano's I've played in the store, even though it has no strings. You'll definitely be able to feel the hammer swinging upward and then hitting something (the stop rail, probably), just like on a "real" piano.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7 (Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers, Karsten, KIVIR)
Intel NUC i3-6100U, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I can trigger this sound on Classic, but (as far as I'm able to determine) with only one particular velocity.

For me, it's also not audible through the piano's speakers, only through the Sennheisder HD 598 headphones or Shure SE 315 canal phones. I can't hear it through the Bose QC II noise canceling headphone, whatever I do. It seems you (I, at least) need a very sensitive and accurate headphone to actually be able to hear it.

As it's something in the samples, I can believe it's in every rendering character to some degree. I've never been able to hear it in Classic, but I also don't want to listen for it, because that would have a huge impact on my enjoyment of the instrument smile I can easily hear it over speakers on the Full and Ballade piano rendering characters, and a number of others too; this has really discouraged me from using the other characters, because I just can't unhear it. It doesn't happen in Sound Mode.

It also only triggers within a small velocity range (~60 IIRC) and I think you have to sound the note, and hold it a beat before letting go in order to trigger it. It's not particularly easy to repro, but it happens a lot to me while playing and I can definitely hear it in the mix with other notes/chords.

I also have Sennheiser HD598s, they pair really well with the NV-10 (and maybe that's why we both hear the snk sound more readily).

As long as Classic (and Romantic) are relatively clean, it doesn't affect me. I would really love to have full use of Full and Ballade though...too bad.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I've tried Full and Ballad, but for me, they have too much resonance, at least through headphones. As said, I can hear the sound on Classic (when using headphones), but only when hitting one very specific velocity range. The reason why I can't hear it on the speakers is because my piano is (probably) set at a much lower volume than that of people who try to create a true acoustic experience. This could make the sound too soft to be heard, in my particular case.

The HD 598 sounds so good in combination with the NV-10, that I have put my plan to swap it for the HD 600 (2019 version) or the HD 660S on hold. The HD 598 is known for a very wide sound stage, with exceptional instrument and sound placement. If you turn SHS in the piano off, set the headphone type to Open, and then play at sufficient volume, the sound is really spacious and 3D. As said, if the headphones had been weightless (and I couldn't feel them on my head and around my ears), I'd probably forget them. It's one of the best instrument / headphone combinations I've ever heard.

Last edited by Falsch; 02/09/21 01:41 PM.

K
K
just received my NV-10 yesterday and looks like we are sharing the same activities - calibrating.

some initial impressions:

1) i was worried sound would be lacking, esp in low frequencies, because the comparison in this forum & also on youtube mic'ed recordings appear to be: Yamaha N1 might be less realistic than acoustic, NV-10 seems reasonably realistic, N2/N3 level is really good. i was relieved when i found that NV-10 had sufficient bass, to the point when i'm thinking of ways to reduce it a little - seems a tad heavy (but i'm still uncalibrated so might be my misjudgment). this may partly be due to wall-effect. i positioned it up against the wall, and this might have increased bass. i tried Wall EQ - and as expected it reduced bass rather obviously, until i suspect it's become too little. i'll need to measure against an acoustic to be sure, and may have to read the manual to find any EQ to make the bass maybe someway in between.

2) volume control knob - yeah disappointing that even the cheapest DPs have volume control slider, and Falsch's Roland gone on to an enlightened digital control, and NV-10 had to use a knob in 21st century. It seems 9 o'clock position mutes most sounds to zero even though the dial can go lower to like 7 o'clock. there's a mention of 80% in a few posts above - if 100% means turning it max clockwise, that means 80% going by 9 o'clock being zero sound would be somewhere around 3 o'clock or 1.30pm ? i'll try to take measurements - i'm guessing it needs about 1.30pm to rightly simulate an acoustic grand.
would also like to learn this "tie-wrap" technique to complement this 21st century flagship hybrid - how to convert a knob into a pointer to accurately achieve consistency. a potential method is stick an arrow sticker on the knob - so it's clear when the arrow points to different points on the clock. my challenge is to teach my 6 year old how to set volume consistently - will be difficult. was much easier with a slider in my previous DP cos all i needed to do was tape it such that the slider can't go beyond a certain point.
a simple workaround if software development can fix this is - have a setting to limit max output, which we can set digitally. so users can turn knob to 100% max and calibrate their max desired volume to this setting, hence always using 100% whenever simulating acoustic grand. *pray software update can do this sometime in future*

3) voicing - Kawai is supposed to be less bright than Yamaha. Pianist Classic mode surprised me by sounding a tad brighter than what i'm used to - perhaps i'm exposed more to uprights than grands, and uprights tend to have muted brightness when lid is closed. i'll try to compare with some grands to make a better judgment down the road. almost wish the brightness was somewhere in between Classic & Romantic, therefore i might reduce Classic brightness using VT soon.

4) damper pedal stiffness - it's been mentioned that kawai's shipping with the newer less-stiff springs already, but it still did surprise me how stiff the pedal is. also, i can't prove to myself which spring i got shipped with. i couldn't tell by looking during installation, and now that installation is complete, it's covered up and no longer visible, and too heavy to move to view.
i have an impression that yamaha C1 pedal was less stiff - maybe due to age, the yamaha's likely some years old. challenge for me is using it with pedal extender for my kid. she's 17kg pushing on a (who knows?) 27kg pedal weight. i'm not experienced with pedal extenders but i found a solution: adjust the piston of the extender such that at effortless position, angle of ankle of child is physiologically correct, similar to adult angle. this i realised because a "normal" pedal height for adult generates a different ankle angle of flexion in a child - a child's ankle needs to flex more. so i made the piston "start having pressure" at a lower height by adjusting its screw. in addition fortunately NV-10 has the damper pedal Virtual Technician setting and i set it to engage damper as soon as possible - setting of "1". this setup became usable for my kid because not doing these adjustments made it too difficult to depress.

5) nobody mentioned kawai books. i think it's the same set that is given for CN CA series as well. one of the books, soft cover, is half filled with scales which is a little pointless. the other half of the book is Hanon 1 to 20, and it seems Hanon is less favoured compared to Czerny & Burgenmuller for piano drills, so i'll probably not use it. therefore this book would have been more useful to have been a czerny book instead, but certainly all this adds extra invisible cost.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Congrats, KaiLord.

Originally Posted by kailord
4) damper pedal stiffness - it's been mentioned that kawai's shipping with the newer less-stiff springs already

If my version has the _less_ stiff spring already, I can imagine that people wanted to have a softer one. Mine is the heaviest I ever tried on any piano, digital or acoustic, and it's just right; but I can believe that it's too strong for some people, especially children or smaller women. If the NV-10 originally shipped with an _even stiffer_ spring, you would actually have to be Frankenstein's monster to be able to play the NV-10.

5) nobody mentioned kawai books. i think it's the same set that is given for CN CA series as well. one of the books, soft cover, is half filled with scales which is a little pointless. the other half of the book is Hanon 1 to 20, and it seems Hanon is less favoured compared to Czerny & Burgenmuller for piano drills, so i'll probably not use it. therefore this book would have been more useful to have been a czerny book instead, but certainly all this adds extra invisible cost.

My NV-10 came with a complete stack of books (in the Netherlands), from Czerny to Burgmüller, from Mozart to Bach, etc... well printed, good books, but too small for me to read when set on the music stand.

Last edited by Falsch; 02/10/21 11:06 AM.

D
dng Offline
D
I have the most vain question. I just noticed my NV10 has black felt, not red felt. What's other folks got? smile

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I'm surprised at the comments about the knob, I have to admit I really liked it (being all machined metal and not plastic appealed to me). But it's hard to see and reach, and I do think it would be nice to be able to set volume in a favorite for headphone versus speaker use.

Btw I don't know where this 80% talk came from, but for me it's WAY too loud compare to pianist position at the bench on an acoustic. 12-1 o'clock sounds about right to me.

The resonance in pianist mode does make the treble end quite bright. You can compare it with sound mode, which is has more of a tapered response at the top.
Also, Romantic character is quieter at the top than classic.

Originally Posted by dng
I have the most vain question. I just noticed my NV10 has black felt, not red felt. What's other folks got? smile

dng, the NV-10 comes with black fallboard felt. I've seen one with red felt in pictures, but not sure if that's an official color anywhere.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by dng

All Kawai piano's with silver pedals currently have black felt. As long as it's not a very bright color (or pink), I couldn't care less if it's black, maroon, green, blue, grey or whatever. Maybe hang around the CA-79/CA-99 thread. There, they have currently arrived at the point where people are probably going to do tests to find out if the sound could be improved by replacing the felt behind the keys with a different color.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I'm surprised at the comments about the knob, I have to admit I really liked it (being all machined metal and not plastic appealed to me). But it's hard to see and reach, and I do think it would be nice to be able to set volume in a favorite for headphone versus speaker use.

If that's ever going to be an option, Kawai would have added it already in the last three years. Maybe it's not even possible, if the volume button is actually mechanical/electrical (resistor-based, that is).

Btw I don't know where this 80% talk came from, but for me it's WAY too loud compare to pianist position at the bench on an acoustic. 12-1 o'clock sounds about right to me.

"Everybody" always says that. "The piano feels too heavy if you set the volume below 70-80%". The piano only feels "heavy" with not enough "headroom" if you are trying to get a certain ppp and fff volume out of the piano, while it is set too low to be able to reach it. That is only the case if you are calibrating against a loud acoustic; if you don't, you can set the volume where-ever you please. On my piano, as stated, it is set at 79 decibels. That was the case with the LX-17 as well, and my Nord C2D before that also.

If an instrument is much louder than that, it becomes too loud to listen to for a longer time (and definitely too loud in an condo; and I think even 79 dB is maybe pushing it).

The resonance in pianist mode does make the treble end quite bright. You can compare it with sound mode, which is has more of a tapered response at the top.
Also, Romantic character is quieter at the top than classic.

Does the "Romantic" setting have a built-in echo, or was I wrong and does the VT save SOME settings to the "Rendering Engine", and other settings to the selected characteristic (with me inadvertently saving a "Ambiance: Echo"...) Romantic sounds really strange in my case.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Yes, I've frequently mentioned the strange echoy "leslie effect" of Romantic. Navindra recently pointed out that it's indeed the Ambiance: Echo setting that causes it. If you like Romantic but don't like the odd echo effect (especially on headphones), it's good to know you can change it.

K
K
mine's red felt. singapore, national colour is red, matches maybe. pedal i gotta check but the pedal rods are silver.

i just noticed something important compared to CA-99:
i've felt that the only showroom CA-99 i've encountered has a strong bass but not a matching cabinet so the cabinet resonates wrongly with the bass - producing a resonant frequency vibration (non-audible but easily palpable with your hands against the cabinet body and potentially even transmitted into the keys). that might be a good thing for the keys, but not realistic for cabinet if somehow u rest ur hands against the cabinet, which seldom occurs during performance but it can happen. just spoils a bit of the realism. some say it's an issue with loose screws in assembly but i think this isn't the same problem as the "buzz" (audible) reported by some people, which can really be due to loose joints.

but in NV-10, the bass is strong but the body is heavy, so u get the realism, probably sufficient vibration to the keys / pedal / cabinet, without unnatural resonance. so that's a benefit u get paying more than double the CA-99. or triple the CA-79 which has slightly weak bass.

the volume knob, yeah, "invisible" - u have to bend over and stretch left to see whats the current setting and what u want to set it to. if the idea is to hide it cosmetically to give an acoustic piano illusion, i'd rather have a button visible than backlight LCD that doesn't go black + hidden important volume knob. i saw a "volume" related control in the Settings - must explore that next.

volume knob i checked: appears to start from 7 o'clock position to 5 o'clock. so if 0% is 7 o'clock, 100% is 5 o'clock, each hour is 10%. 80% would be 3 o'clock which i find too loud. can't wait to calibrate. i tried to measure mezzoforte but should also measure the suggested fff to make it two-point calibration. as i increased volume beyond 12 o'clock to reach 1, 2, 3 o'clock, my handphone decibel meter at around C4-C5 plateaus from 78 dB to around 80-81dB at 2-3 o'clock (maybe cos dB is logarithmic hence harder to climb to 83dB). but the dB increment is more measurable at C6-C7 region, followed by C1-C2 region.

would love to hear various calibrations by fellow forummers + room positioning. for a child learner, its important to get the calibration right, else playing on digital with a wrong output gives the learner a wrong idea that this kind of pressure generates this kind of dynamics, which ends up not matching acoustic. a child's mind probably doesn't compensate easily/quickly to adjust touch/muscle memory based on how different DPs/APs pianos react. likely a skill achieved at a more advanced level.

brightness of sound - maybe my up-against-wall positioning reflects more high freqs, increasing the brightness even more. apart from settings to reduce, there's probably a physical way as well, might be interesting to see what felt cloth etc might do to the upper speakers when covering partially - yet another tool to further tune the sound beyond what Virtual Technician allows, if potentially there needs fine tuning to enhance realism.

on the point in another thread where "real" damper pedal is not obvious, since i'm looking for it, it is obvious when u look out for it, and it does feel like acoustic, and even just pressing the pedal repeatedly moves the keys such that u feel a mechanical connection between foot movement and key. realistic as it goes.

on action noise - agree it gets weirdly noisy when playing on headphone and hitting hard and fast - people around u get fast continuous thumping sounds. but probably tolerable, and i doubt it really transmits to a neighbour's apartment unless walls / floors are somewhat thin. can't prove it unless i go to a neighbour's, but since bassier sounds transmit thru floors etc, the thumping isn't probably bassy enough for significant transmission.

graduated key weighting heavier in the bass - a nice transition. thinking back when i was assessing CA-79/99 and how it had graded keys, simulated grand action, it's night and day when comparing the whole action package with NV-10.

ebony polish - as i expected, dust/fingerprint magnet + magnifier. i wonder how white pianos maintain - u can't see dust/fingerprints easily i imagine, just larger dark specks of dirt which you'd want to clean off anyway. seems minority like white for some reason, and NV-10 doesn't have a colour choice anyways.

softfall lid - i dont know how most such lids work but there's still a child risk in the NV-10 heavy lid (compared to light lids of regular DPs) - the first 1.5 inches of lift has no softfall protection so if accidentally let go, it slams into child's finger.

metronome - the UI makes adjusting from one slow song to a fast song a little tedious because it doesn't have a fast slider, u have to tap tap tap to move the digits from 90 to 120 (tapping 9 down to 2 with seven taps). maybe most DPs are similar.

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Falsch, for the minimal hiss in the bass speaker, try turning the line in volume knob to 0. That’s the mini knob on the second panel further back.

Regarding the normal volume knob: I have mine at about 1 o’clock, maybe a tad less (in combination with a light touch setting).

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recordings: Departure / Heartbroken Kiki (from Studio Ghibli: Kiki's Delivery Service)
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Kailord, you only need three taps to go from 90 to 120 on the metronome: Tap the up-arrow above the 9 three times. And similarly three taps on the down arrow below the 2 to go back to 90. The tens carry over into the hundreds, similar to an odometer.
A similar carry over happens with the ones and the tens.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recordings: Departure / Heartbroken Kiki (from Studio Ghibli: Kiki's Delivery Service)
M
M
Originally Posted by Mickey_
My NV10 has just arrived!

Delivery and assembly went well. Briefly test-playing (checking) it afterwards, I found that the loudspeakers are superb. In my ears, the NV10 sounds so much better than the K-300 Aures I replaced with it (both through speakers and transducers/soundboard respectively).

Whether the damper pedal is too "heavy" for me, I'll find out in the coming days and weeks. While checking this morning, it did feel quite "heavy", but that doesn't mean I can't get used to it.

And... "she" is a beauty!

I'm looking forward to our first real rendezvous, tonight - just her and me, as soon as the three other ladies in my household (wife, daughter, dog) are asleep.

She was brought to me on a Thursday (June 4, 2020), and she's going to leave me on a Thursday (tomorrow morning, February 11, 2021): "my" NV10. So, to whom it may concern: I'll be a former member of the club of NV10 owners, or in my case: club of NV10 players, in just a few hours.

As some of you may know, I've been renting my Novus "only", which makes returning her no big deal... disregarding emotions, of course. ;-) On a more serious note: My wife has been complaining about the "hammer noise" for quite a while, so playing her (the Novus, that is) has not been as stress-free as I had hoped and as it should be. Knowing that someone else doesn't like the thumping noise I'm making playing downstairs, at nighttime, is no fun.

The good news is: I'll be taken care of. I've got both models of Kawai's MP line now and will soon decide which one to place at work and which one to place at home. (For the time being, the MP11SE is in my office at work, but I'll most probably switch.)

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My wife has been complaining about the "hammer noise" for quite a while
Sorry to hear that. . .

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I'm sure someone will be very happy to have an NV-10 in these pandemic-supply-constrained times. Nice having you "in the club," Mickey, and I say once a member, always a member! Hope you will keep participating in the threads!

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
She was brought to me on a Thursday (June 4, 2020), and she's going to leave me on a Thursday (tomorrow morning, February 11, 2021): "my" NV10. So, to whom it may concern: I'll be a former member of the club of NV10 owners, or in my case: club of NV10 players, in just a few hours.

Sorry to hear that you're going to step back to the MP7SE / 11SE. Those are fine stage piano's (I owned the MP7 myself), but definitely a few steps beneath the NV-10. Doesn't your wife have any problems with the keys on the MP7/11? I switched from the LX-17 to the NV-10;

I asked my girlfriend if there was a big difference; according to her, the sound the NV-10 makes isn't "more" / "less", or "better" / "worse", it's just different. Obviously she hears it most clearly when I practice with headphones.

Fortunately she's pragmatic about it: If I don't want to hear it, I'm going to sit and read on the couch in the home office, because you can't move the piano there. In the home office we can basically do the same things as we do in the living room, only smaller. (And, I already had both the MP7 and the LX-17 when I met her, so she knew there'd be a piano in the home when we'd go and live together.)

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
With regard to the F4 key issue in the NV-10, this video shows the same issue on the Steinway on the left, with E4, in the first 7 minutes of the video (actually encountered this video in a different thread):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAIeYWx4uWs&feature=emb_logo

As I said, the F4 key isn't broken, but requires more a bit more force to actually make a sound. It also feels as if the hammer starts lifting upward later than with the other keys. I assume this is a regulation issue. This causes the following problems:

- When playing at the very edge of what the NV-10 can do with "ppp", the key may not sound, while others do.
- If the key does sound because I put in the extra force / arm weight, it'll be louder than the other keys in the scale. (Assuming I'm playing this scale at the edge of "ppp")
- Repeatability suffers. The key has to be depressed farther down before it starts reacting (as said, it feels as if the hammer starts to lift upward later). Other keys, I can press down again before they're fully raised, so I can make repeated ppp notes. On F4, this doesn't work.

The reason why I notice this so much is that my touch is extremely light. I've analyzed my playing with Pianoteq a few weeks ago. I will have to adjust my playing style (play louder), and turn down my piano even more to compensate, as my range of dynamics is compressed now. My "mf" actually is somewhere between "p" and "pp", so when I need to go softer than "my own mf", I'll very quickly be at the edge of how quiet the piano can go. (And it seems I never go above "f", according to PianoTeq.)

I have mailed the issue to my dealer yesterday, including the video.

To my surprise, he has forwarded the problem to Kawai Germany (which is also Kawai Netherlands), and they have already responded and requested I fill out their repair form. Assuming they're not going to have it lying around for weeks after I fill it out, this seems to be going better than expected.

The response could also have been "This is how it is with grand piano actions. Live with it... the manufacturer's not going to come out and regulate one single key."

Page 259 of 296 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 295 296

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,762
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission