2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (brdwyguy, Carey, Charles Cohen, Bill McKaig,RPT, c++, antune, 16 invisible), 460 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3080303 02/09/21 07:01 AM
I
OP Offline
I

Hi everyone. Ive been having issues with my less than 6 months old Kawai ES 110. You can hear a buzzing sound on the last 2 keys.

The problem is - Ive taken it for repair and check up 3 times and every single time, they find nothing wrong with it. I am there when they press the keys and it sound perfect.. but when I get home, the buzzing noise is there.

Ive already plugged in my piano to a ARV (automatic volatage regular) because thats what the owner of the store suggested that I do, but it’s still making this sound.

Any leads on why and how I can resolve this issue? I am self taught and I just started but im getting disheartened because of this issue..

Any help or advice would be great. Thank you!

Last edited by Irene Li; 02/09/21 07:08 AM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
It's not clear to me from the video if the noise is originating in the instrument, either mechanical or electronic, or elsewhere? First try it in another room. Still there try determining if it is mechanical or electronic. If possibly mechanical try moving the instrument around or pressing the chassis near the sound origin, or slightly tilting it in different angles. If electronic ensure nothing else is plugged in, and all other items in the room are off. Seems a clue if it doesn't occur at the store, maybe ask your neighbour if you can try it there. After that, replace it.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I don't hear a buzzing noise. You can try with external monitor speaker, it will improve the sound.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
First thing is to try with headphones. Is the noise still there? It also rules out any mechanical resonances in the piano itself or something in the room.

And is the noise consistent or somewhat random/inconsistent?

A volume slider may cause some noise of it's just a simple potentimeter. Moving it around might then temporarily fix the problem and in that case the problem is also diagnosed.

Z
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi as mentioned check for some other object in your room causing the buzzing sound. I found my mechanical/spring metronome can cause weird buzzing when not in use but sitting on my piano and only with certain notes. I've also had the same with buzzing picture frames and other items in the room.

Don't be discouraged. I'm sure you will track this issue down soon and can get back to playing/learning. You will see people run into various issues all the time whether with digital or acoustic pianos. It may take a bit of time but you will figure it out by trying the suggestions.

I forgot to add. Was it doing this from the beginning when you brought this home or it started over time? This may help identify the issue.

Last edited by ZoeCalgary; 02/09/21 01:30 PM. Reason: Added question
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It makes the buzzing sound the last 2 times you hit the B key, but not the first two times. So the noise doesn't always occur, which makes it a little harder to isolate things. It's an odd buzz, although youtube audio is not the greatest. It does not sound like a high frequency buzz like a bulb filament might make, it sounds more like a loose screw or nut rattling around. If you have a mechanic's stethoscope you could wander around the piano while someone else hits the key and try to localize the sound. I agree with the suggestion to move it to another room and see if the noise goes away, that would really help narrow down where to look.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
A
A
I can clearly hear the buzzing noise at 0:06. To me it sounds like a mechanical noise. Please try what other people suggested here. Or just use a different stand, or move the piano to a different room to check if the noise still persists.

C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
I don't hear a buzz in the recording.

Usually, if you hear a buzzing on low-frequency keys, there's something resonating in the room, _outside the piano_.

So the first thing to do is a headphone test (which should disconnect the DP's loudspeakers):

. . . If you hear the buzz through the headphones,
. . . it's generated inside the DP's circuits:

. . . . . Bring it back to the dealer.

If you don't hear the buzz through headphones, it's either a vibration inside the DP (caused by its own loudspeakers), or a vibration inside the room, but outside the DP.

Move the DP to a different room, see if you can hear the buzz when playing through the loudspeakers.

. . . If there's no buzz, the problem is in the original room.

. . . If there _is_ a buzz, there may be something
. . . vibrating inside the DP.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 02/09/21 02:15 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Irene Li
...You can hear a buzzing sound on the last 2 keys....

What do you mean by ..."the last 2 keys" ?

I didn't see you playing on .... the last 2 keys.

I didn't hear anything significant, either.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
The problem is - Ive taken it for repair and check up 3 times and every single time, they find nothing wrong with it. I am there when they press the keys and it sound perfect.. but when I get home, the buzzing noise is there.

Well, logic 101 tells me that means it is not a noise coming from the ES110. It is coming from something vibrating in your home.

Take it to another room (far from where it is) or better yet .... a completely different home.

It probably will not make that sound at the new location.

If it does, then the mystery deepens ....

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
A
A
Originally Posted by dmd

I guess she means the last two notes of the C major scale

Last edited by Alfred La Fleur; 02/09/21 04:41 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Alfred La Fleur
Originally Posted by dmd

I guess she means the last two notes of the C major scale

Really ?

So .... any time she plays a B or a C .... any place on the keyboard, it makes a buzzing sound.

If that is true, then it must be some other object in the room that is vibrating to that specific frequency.

Don

A
A
Originally Posted by dmd
Really ?

So .... any time she plays a B or a C .... any place on the keyboard, it makes a buzzing sound.

If that is true, then it must be some other object in the room that is vibrating to that specific frequency.
It could easily be the stand itself or some random object close by. We cannot see what is surrounding the es100, we can only wait for her to try our suggestion, this would give us some additional hints.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Irene,

You can hear a buzzing sound on the last 2 keys.

I can hear a ringing sound, reminiscent of that produced by an old fashioned alarm clock, when the last two 'B' notes are played.

In this case, it suggests that the noise is related to the environment in which the piano is placed. The ES110 is a relatively lightweight and portable instrument, so please try moving it into another room, or positioning it in another part of the same room. I would also check objects in the room (picture frames, ornaments, etc.) that can rattle/vibrate when certain audio frequencies are played.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I
OP Offline
I
Hello there.

Whenever I bring it for a check up, they put it on a flat surface (table) and there’s no sound.

I moved my piano on my desk, and NO SOUND! Im still going to observe, but I moved it back and forth (table to stand) a couple of times and the sound only occurred while it was on stand.

O
O
I don't hear a buzz at all, I hear the note ring out and then something like when a mic has feedback issues. It's possibly something resonating on your stand when you play those 2 frequencies (notes)

Hello Irene,

I moved my piano on my desk, and NO SOUND! Im still going to observe, but I moved it back and forth (table to stand) a couple of times and the sound only occurred while it was on stand.

That's good to know.

May I ask what kind of stand you are using, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Z
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Z
Irene I'm so glad to hear you have resolved the problem! Yeah!
Now back to playing and enjoying your instrument!
All the best in your journey going forward.

A
A
Hello there.

Whenever I bring it for a check up, they put it on a flat surface (table) and there’s no sound.

Hi Irene, I am glad that you just found a working condition.
As other suggested, checking if the same problem occurs using the headphones would further confirm that the problem is purely mechanical and not related to the electronics.

However, at this point, we cannot still exclude that the issue is not related to the ES110, for example it could be the speakers, or the case itself or something else.
I.e., maybe the case is actually vibrating because of the speakers and, while a solid desk is able to absorb the vibration, a less stable stand might not be able to do that.
Which stand are you using? Is it the proprietary Kawai H4m/H5m stand, or some other type? X stands or poor quality double X stands could resonate with the ES110.

Alternatively, while on the desk the bottom part of the ES110 case is fully in contact with the desk surface, on your stand it could be slightly elevated on one of the sides, which could create some sort of vibration and give the buzzing noise. Maybe you could try checking if there is any small gap in between the ES110 and the stand using a paper sheet and see if it gets through.

Or, again, it could still be some object that you have placed around the stand, which is vibrating.

Last edited by Alfred La Fleur; 02/10/21 03:52 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
[Poll] Which exercise book do you do and why?
by meghdad - 04/11/21 10:23 AM
Recording Acoustic Piano
by JeffM123 - 04/11/21 10:14 AM
Budget Stage/portable Piano
by Amy H - 04/11/21 09:11 AM
1990 Bosendorfer 130 upright
by Martin Solo - 04/11/21 06:29 AM
Qualities Required for Piano
by Qazsedcft - 04/11/21 02:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,218
Posts3,081,065
Members101,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission