2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (anotherscott, BlakeOR, chopin_r_us, antune, aphexdisklavier, AcousticAndre, 36251, Anglagard44, 15 invisible), 639 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
tim1987 Offline OP
OP Offline
T

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
That is so sad. Thanks for all the music Keith.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
A legend in his own time. He has given us so much

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
D
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
Yes, this confirms the suspicions we have all had. I wish him peace. What he has given the world is incalculable.

N
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
N
How sad news for us, for Maestro Keith Jarrett this is just a life tragedy, which we can hardly, apart from words, feel - to lose the tool of self-expression , the fruits of which we loved to partake ! !

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I'd had a theory that Keith maybe had back surgery with a long recovery. Unfortunately not. I wish him the best and hope he's able to play eventually. I believe Oscar Peterson had a stroke and had to re-learn to play - whatever that means. Also Henri Matisse had a stroke (circa 1950) and found a way to create new work with his cut-outs.

I remember back in the 1970's reading interviews with Keith when he mentioned swimming and playing tennis. I'd have thought he'd be the guy who played at a high level until his late 80's.

Keith has a deep musical mind. I hope he finds new ways to create.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oscar Peterson did return to playing after his stroke, but his left hand was never the same again. He could stab the odd note or chord with it (after a lot of therapy) but it was only a shadow of it's former self (one of the best ever).

I, like everyone else here, am so sad at this news, though as I said in another thread it was fairly obvious he must have had some sort of illness.

I hope he returns to music in some form, but if he doesn't he has left a vast legacy of recordings and innovations.

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yanagisawa AW01 (alto Sax)
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)

DipMus(Open)
Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing.
Retired!

Quote K J
“I was trying to pretend that I was Bach with one hand,” he said. “But that was just toying with something.” When he tried to play some familiar bebop tunes in his home studio recently, he discovered he had forgotten them.

That is exactly what happen to me on August 12 2014 I had a stroke and my right side was partiality paralyze which really depressed me and I felt a loss of my identity. I could not play the same but as I was sitting in church about 5 months later Nancy a cellist with the Phoenix Symphony leaned over and said start at the beginning again do your Hanon ,scales,arppeggios. Well she was right I started very slowly but after a couple years I regain some of the ability I had lost. And I for the life of me could not understand why I could not play some of the tunes that I played for years and I noticed that I could play new tunes not the same as in the past but a different approach and a different sound. That being said I wanted to share one of those tunes that I learned after the stroke Memories of Tomorrow and yes there is life after a stroke for pianists just a different one. I saw Keith and his trio play three times 2 times in LA and once in San Francisco what it was memorizing.

https://youtu.be/vyDeQxzRXP8

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing this article, Tim. It is sad. I think I'll listen to Koln Concert today. 😞

Kawai NV10
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
One of the great things about Keith is that one can be partial to different creative output streams. My favorite period for Keith is the 70's both the American and European quartets. I've got plenty of other of his stuff - solo and standards trio. And some of his oddball stuff like "Ruta and Daytya" with Jack DeJohnette. And I think his first trio (with Jack and Gary) recording was the stream of mind "Changes" album with Flying Part 1 and Flying Part 2.

I just ordered Keith's Well Tempered Clavier (Bach) on piano. I'll put them on my phone for listening while walking. Keith has made my life a little richer musically over the years. He's in my special group with the Beatles and Ellingtonia.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I saw Oscar live, post-stroke, and McCoy Tyner when he needed help walking across the stage. Still, both shows were memorable and worthwhile.

The only time I saw Keith was a solo concert in 1981. I can't imagine what it would be like seeing him at anything less than his full Jarrett-ness.

M
M
Terrible news a true master of Jazz and classical piano. Keith was a child prodigy who constantly practiced his whole like (when not sick) and now he can barely play. I hope he can mentally adjust to the situation. I know one of my favorite guitarists and teachers had a stroke and could no longer play, but his drawing and painting gave him another creative outlet and helped him deal with no longer being about to play music. I hope Keith find an answer that will work for him.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Absolutely terrible. I hope he finds a way forward.

N
N
I apologize first. and don't want to say this in a bad part at all but it is important Keith Jarrett hear the great pain this is to all of the music.

Most pianists took it for them to try and understand the extent of what a missing elbow or even two makes a difference as to whether or not anything musical can happen at the piano. All tries have deeply discovered what the worst of your forearm would be able to stance in the front of the house, would mean a world to the audience and the piano, if not you.

For instance, many many beautiful endings would leave a great hope to rest as well.

(Remember when Steven Hawking admit not flying at all in a zero G. plane would mean a true miss accelerating his aggravation at that time, and he happily did after so many times, with great force to recreate the work at the writing desk for the rest of his life.)

We all join to transmit to Keith Jarrett, all the encouragements for him to be just there. Failing is not an option, it is the trying itself, the mastery of the art.

The silent path many of us are tempted to follow in this difficult times, would rebound again in the vinyl pool and the new streams of jazz, from your tries.

Come on Mister Keith Jarrett, you are young enough, you are good enough, you will not hold back from music for so much pain to sit at the piano. We love you man, and please don't leave in the meantime because we would all die as well with you at the same time.

no choice rly, if you remained would be also a little
XXXXXXX

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
NotaBene
I suggest you go back and read the article about KJs condition following two strokes. I find your suggestion that he ‘just sit at the piano’ selfish. Enjoy the outstanding contribution he has made to music and to the world

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi NotaBene

I agree with dogperson your comments just seem selfish to me.

"You are young enough".

Keith Jarrett is 76 in a few months time.

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yanagisawa AW01 (alto Sax)
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)

DipMus(Open)
Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing.
Retired!

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Simon_b
Hi NotaBene

I agree with dogperson your comments just seem selfish to me.

"You are young enough".

Keith Jarrett is 76 in a few months time.

kJ has ‘sat at the piano’. Sadly, he can’t use his left hand and can’t remember what he previously knew. I can’t imagine what a emotionally draining experience that was... and Im doubtful he repeats it often.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I agree KJ should not be cajoled or berated for his disability. He should be left alone if he so wishes. Fortunately for Keith, I don't think he listens to extraneous noise from internet forums.

From reading interviews with Keith here and there over the last 45 years or so, I'm sure he's finding interesting ways to amuse himself. I read an interview with him years ago that was from a photography magazine. He used to be a camera buff - some of his album covers thru the years were his photos.

There are no guarantees in life.

If he'd only produced his quartet recordings (both American and European) back in the 1970's - maybe 10-12 albums alone - he'd still occupy a special place in my musical world.

I wish his the best.

Last edited by indigo_dave; 02/09/21 09:25 AM.
M
M
Everyone is different and that includes how they handle life changing issues. Also the degree of how a stroke affects someone is different. Oscar Peterson had a stroke and later played with right hand only relying on have a bass player. One of my favorite guitar and improv teachers had a stroke and couldn't play. He did some therapy and later tried doing some clinic with his old duo partner, but he just couldn't play enough and stopped playing. Lucky for him even in his guitar day he was in to drawing and painting as an alternate way to express himself. So now he use art to continue he creative explorations.

So everyone is different and has to find what works for them. In the long run all that matters it what makes them happy and their fans should feel the same way.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,396
Posts3,084,136
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission