2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (FloRi89, Emily2Lame, CraiginNZ, DPAfficionado, Eduardo82, chen, Calavera, DrMickey, 7 invisible), 421 guests, and 418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by BruceD
It was hard to find on Youtube the tune I know from my youth to "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind."
In North America, the prevailing tune used is 'Rest' by Frederick Charles Maker:
.......which I've never heard until your link today. I doubt that there are any regular church goers in the UK (and probably Australia and NZ too) who knows it either.
'Rest' was the tune sung in the (Australian) Anglican church I attended in the 1960s. The hymn book we used was The Book of Common Praise which was nothing if not English. "Repton" is the tune we hear now - if you can find a church where they still sing hymns that is!
A recent takeover by Repton? smirk

I just discovered that my old hymnal "The Psalter and Church Hymnary" (published in 1899 grin) has the tune 'Campfields' by Mark James Monk (b.1858) to "Dear Lord and Father". It sounds somewhat bland compared to Repton and Rest.

Tranditional hymns are still sung in churches here, despite dwindling attendances and attempted takeovers by pop & gospel singers and others. It sometimes surprises me that most still have functioning pipe organs - many's the time when I've wandered into a little church almost in the middle of nowhere, when out on a hike in the green & (usually) pleasant land, and been able to play its organ......even though the only organ piece I can play from memory (sort of) is that Toccata & Fugue by - or attributed to - JSB.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
It sometimes surprises me that most still have functioning pipe organs - many's the time when I've wandered into a little church almost in the middle of nowhere, when out on a hike in the green & (usually) pleasant land, and been able to play its organ......even though the only organ piece I can play from memory (sort of) is that Toccata & Fugue by - or attributed to - JSB.
So many wonderful old churches in the countryside over there - I know, I watch Escape to the Country from time to time. laugh
That is surprising about the organs. Not that they're there, but that many are actually working. I had occasion to play for a wedding in a tiny little historic (for us! 1830-something...) rural church a few years ago. The organ was a real sweetie - one rank of little beautifully painted pipes, and one little manual. No G's sounded at all, but apart from working around that, rather fun.

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The last hymn I recorded after the pandemic lockdown is “Morning Has Broken. turned into a Pop song by the English singer “Cat Stevens”. A lot of local churches are conducting their services online so not going to perform it in church for at least 6 mths.

M
M
Indeed! I grew up Methodist, and played in 2 baptist churches for about a year each. We played things like Blessed Assurance, His eye is on the sparrow, Power in the Blood, and Softly and Tenderly.

I have a real soft spot for them. I love a basic untrained church choir, singing with heart.

This one always brings me to tears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lv_Z0Xrct8. The hymn starts at 1:10

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I like to play chorale preludes, which were used to introduce hymns in Lutheran liturgy. My repertoire includes chorale preludes of Walther (J.S. Bach's 1st cousin, and the uncrowned king of the chorale prelude), Pachelbel, Zachau (Handel's organ teacher), Scheidt, Johann Christoph Bach, and J. S. Bach.

While many have organ pedal parts, there also are many with minimal or no pedal parts, enabling them to be played on piano.

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
The last hymn I recorded after the pandemic lockdown is “Morning Has Broken. turned into a Pop song by the English singer “Cat Stevens”. A lot of local churches are conducting their services online so not going to perform it in church for at least 6 mths.

The music for Morning Has Broken was actually composed by Rick Wakeman (most known for being the keyboard player of the band Yes).

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Sweelinvk
Wasn’t ‘Morning Has Broken’ a 1931 hymn, later arranged by Rick Wakeman? Don’t believe he was the original composer

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by dogperson
Sweelinvk
Wasn’t ‘Morning Has Broken’ a 1931 hymn, later arranged by Rick Wakeman? Don’t believe he was the original composer

"Morning Has Broken" is a popular and well-known Christian hymn first published in 1931. It has words by English author Eleanor Farjeon and was inspired by the village of Alfriston in East Sussex, then set to a traditional Scottish Gaelic tune known as "Bunessan." It is often sung in children's services and in Funeral services."

Internet source, for what it may be worth. Seems plausible without further research.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Have to assume "Morning Has Broken" was based on words by Eleanor Farjeon with a Scottish tune. The other people including Rick Wakeman & Cat Stevens came later.

Wikipedia page on Rick Wakeman:

Wakeman played the piano on "Morning Has Broken" by Cat Stevens for his 1971 album, Teaser and the Firecat. Wakeman was omitted from the credits and for many years, was never paid for it; Stevens later apologised and paid Wakeman for the error.

Wikipedia page on Morning Has Broken:

Cat Stevens' recording, with a piano arrangement arranged and performed by Rick Wakeman, led to the song being known internationally.

When shaping "Morning Has Broken" for recording, Stevens started with the hymn, which took around 45 seconds to sing in its basic form. Producer Paul Samwell-Smith told him he could never put something like that on an album, and that it had to be at least three minutes, though an acoustic demo of an early Stevens version lasts almost three minutes. Prior to the actual recording Stevens heard Wakeman play something in the recording booth. It was a rough sketch of what would later become "Catherine Howard". Stevens told Wakeman that he liked it and wanted something similar as the opening section, the closing section and, if possible, a middle section as well. Wakeman told Stevens he could not as it was his piece destined for a solo album, but Stevens persuaded him to adapt his composition.

In 2000, Wakeman released an instrumental version of "Morning Has Broken" on an album of the same title. That same year he gave an interview on BBC Radio 5 Live in which he said he had agreed to perform on the Cat Stevens track for £10 and was "shattered" that he was omitted from the credits, adding that he never received the money either.

On his return to performance as Yusuf Islam, Stevens made a payment to Wakeman and apologized for the original non-payment, which he said arose from confusion and a misunderstanding on the record label's part. On a documentary aired on British television, Wakeman stated that he felt Stevens's version of "Morning Has Broken" was a very beautiful piece of music that had brought people closer to religious truth. He expressed satisfaction in having contributed to this. Wakeman included a 3:42 version on his 2017 album of piano arrangements, Piano Portraits.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Many years ago I played the harmonium in church services (mass) for a period before we moved house. Actually, a lot of the hymns were different from those I used to sing as a child. Very enjoyable to play, haven't played any since.
One hymn I recall which was so different from what I was used to is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK1DVDSnLjg
A small choir and some really nice tunes - happy times!

regards
Pete
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dogperson
Sweelinck
The hymn is about 45 seconds in length. Wakeman composed piano solos for the opening, ending, and bridges to bring the Cat Stevens song length to about 3:20.

Per the wikipedia entry for Morning Has Broken:

Stevens was waiting for a time slot in a recording studio and heard Wakeman recording the piano parts, which originally were to be part of a different composition, and asked if he could include them on his upcoming album. Wakeman ultimately agreed, and agreed to a fee of £10, presumably a perfunctory amount so that it technically could be a paid contract.

Not only was Wakeman left off of the album credits, but apparently the £10 fee was not paid. (Stevens apparently made good on the £10 years later).

Occasionally a composer would write and set an original chorale tune. This one by Schumann (Album for the Young) is a good example. I've played it during church services.

https://youtu.be/Cri8jWrM8qM

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
First jam session tips
by Utkonos - 04/19/21 09:47 PM
Help with old hardware - MusicPad Pro Freehand
by ElmerJFudd - 04/19/21 09:22 PM
New iOS app Pure Piano
by Jonky Ponky - 04/19/21 07:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,404
Posts3,084,304
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission