2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
35 members (ColonelBogey, aesop, dorfmouse, Animisha, Alex.G, ejlamas, CyberGene, DSC, Calavera, accordeur, 3 invisible), 434 guests, and 384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lucubrate #3078920 02/05/21 03:57 PM
W
W
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
Originally Posted by Keybender
It was an A170 studio. Great warmth and clarity at the same time. Definitely would have bought it, hadn't I been looking for an upright.

Touch was phenomenal.

Thanks Keybender!

I’ve heard Great things about the A170, from people Whose opinions I highly respect

I seriously considered acquiring one, for the only space I have left, which was in a finished basement. Unfortunately, I wasn’t sure if I could actually get the piano down there

~Lucubrate

Question to you both: can you please tell me if this instrument is the same as a Steingraeber A170 or a completely different franchise?
https://www.atlanticmusiccenter.com/product/steingraeber-piano-a170/

Thanks!

Last edited by Windjammer; 02/05/21 03:57 PM.

"Ein Buch ist ein Spiegel, aus dem kein Apostel herausgucken kann, wenn ein Affe hineinguckt." Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742-1799)
Windjammer #3078941 02/05/21 05:00 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Windjammer
Question to you both: can you please tell me if this instrument is the same as a Steingraeber A170 or a completely different franchise?

Thanks!

I believe It’s a modified Steingraeber A-170

However, I’m not familiar with the Partnership between Steingraeber & Phoniex, or at what point, a variation of an original, becomes It’s own distinct entity

Hopefully, someone with a better understanding, will chime in

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
wg73 #3078942 02/05/21 05:05 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It is not simply a case of having enough room. Sometimes it is room plus access. Several of the Ds I have tuned are in rooms into which they had to be craned. They are not moving anyplace quickly or cheaply!

Semipro Tech
GC13 #3078943 02/05/21 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by GC13
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by GC13
I would definitely consider it. I'd probably end up going used. They are readily available on the used market that have been refurbished or rebuilt by excellent rebuilders.
I think most rebuilders have very few of the model D because most people don't want such a large piano.

Maybe not in your area, but I see them quite frequently, both locally and on the websites of rebuilders. There are 2 or 3 available right now here locally. Maybe there aren't hundreds of them out there, but they are there. And it goes in cycles. In my opinion, looking for a used one might be a lot easier than going thru the S&S dealer and taking the one you can get, or putting your deposit down to be able to make a trip to the Steinway Hall selection room. The 2 or 3 that I know of locally are not at the S&S dealer here. The only one at the dealer currently is the C&A piano. The only time they have a new one on the floor is when they are setting one up for delivery to the customer.
I live in the metropolitan NYC area, which has several of the biggest rebuilders in the country. They rarely have more than a couple of Ds which I think qualifies as "very few". When choosing a different model, a large rebuilder could easily have ten or fifteen to choose from.

Windjammer #3078946 02/05/21 05:12 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T

Thanks!

Actually the link itself explains it: "An acoustic body (case, frame and fitting of the soundboard) supplied by Steingraeber of Bayreuth using only the finest available timber and other materials and old fashioned hand craftsmanship."

wg73 #3078955 02/05/21 05:27 PM
Try any rebuilt Ds you can find but be sure to also play any new and nearly new you can. There are enormous differences between the old and new ones. New retail Steinways depreciate like mad so one a couple years old will be a fraction of the new price.

wg73 #3079012 02/05/21 08:36 PM
Yes. But if it's a NY, no thanks...

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
wg73 #3079031 02/05/21 09:30 PM
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wg73
Would you buy a Steinway D (new or used) if you had the space and means to do so?

So, the question you pose is not 'To B or not to B?" - but rather "To D or not to D?". I would totally D, but would just as well B smile.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
wg73 #3079083 02/06/21 02:04 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
If I had the means (I have the space), I am not sure that a Steinway D would be my choice. Do I have other options?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #3079085 02/06/21 02:14 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
If I had the means (I have the space), I am not sure that a Steinway D would be my choice. Do I have other options?

Regards,

The OP owns a Steinway B. That, plus the question specificity infers that no other brand suggestions are being solicited.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
W
W
Originally Posted by Lucubrate

Thanks!

I believe It’s a modified Steingraeber A-170

However, I’m not familiar with the Partnership between Steingraeber & Phoniex, or at what point, a variation of an original, becomes It’s own distinct entity

Hopefully, someone with a better understanding, will chime in

~Lucubrate
Originally Posted by tend to rush

Thanks!

Actually the link itself explains it: "An acoustic body (case, frame and fitting of the soundboard) supplied by Steingraeber of Bayreuth using only the finest available timber and other materials and old fashioned hand craftsmanship."

Thank you both. Yes, the link features an explanation. I was hoping for some Outside explanation of the Phoenix brand. But don’t mean to derail this thread. Thank you again for your replies.

"Ein Buch ist ein Spiegel, aus dem kein Apostel herausgucken kann, wenn ein Affe hineinguckt." Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742-1799)
wg73 #3079141 02/06/21 08:11 AM
L
L
The few Ds that came under my fingers were very good. A serious step up in tone and oomph. In my limited experience, the Steinway D is several classes above the other Steinway models, while for some other brands that is not always the case with the concert grands exceeding the half concert grands so much. Bösendorfer Imperial of course is also a benchmark and far above the remainder models. When it comes to Fazioli, Steingraeber and Bechstein, I was not so overwhelmed by the concert grands in contrast to the smalle ones. As mentioned above the Steingraeber 170 is a class of its own. I personally would go for the D if I could, but the smaller Steinways seem to be downgrade3d step by step from the top while the other brands delivered a more unique and balanced sound to me. I never felt anything missing in the smaller Faziolis or Steingraebers while I had several Steinways sounding like a compromise. Given the price tag and if I had unlimited space and budget, the Steinway D would be the only model I´d love to have in my family.

Empty when full
wg73 #3079179 02/06/21 09:39 AM
I think most concert pianists are completely satisfied to have a semi-concert sized piano at home. I think the mostly non professional posters on this thread should be more than satisfied also.

C
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think most concert pianists are completely satisfied to have a semi-concert sized piano at home. I think the mostly non professional posters on this thread should be more than satisfied also.

Agreed - I can't see the advantage to having a concert grand in a home setting - even amongst concert pianists. You'd really have to be playing a lot of recitals and knowing the instruments you were playing in those situations well to just justify it (or have your own concert instrument that follows you). The Ds I've played over the years have varied greatly from decent to really wonderful (always preferred the Hamburgs).

At the end of the day any concert grand is built for tonal balance and projection in a hall/venue setting. Putting that in your home gives you no context of working with the instrument in that way. A fine semi concert grand gives even experienced artists more than enough to practice on at home - the control of the action being paramount. From there the most important thing is the technical ability & control, combined with a great ear that knows how to sit down and work with any concert grand they might encounter. Just my .02...

Last edited by chopin_guy88; 02/06/21 12:10 PM.
wg73 #3079231 02/06/21 12:21 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I know a couple of concert pianists who don't own particularly good pianos (by PW standards), and they don't particularly care one way or the other. Once the piano is functional, that's all they feel they need at home.

johnstaf #3079234 02/06/21 12:36 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I know a couple of concert pianists who don't own particularly good pianos (by PW standards), and they don't particularly care one way or the other. Once the piano is functional, that's all they feel they need at home.

Haha yes indeed - one disadvantage to having a really fine instrument at home - is you're far less likely to encounter such a fine instrument if you're constantly playing in different settings. It's far more important to have the technical ability, control, and ear to do anything you want on any instrument. Most of which has nothing to do with having a super fine instrument to practice on regularly.

I posted on another thread that my dream piano is a Fazioli F228 - a pianist I studied with had one in his home, and it was by far the finest instrument I've ever played. However, if I got used to playing on that day in and day out, I would be at a disadvantage cause EVERYTHING on that piano was easier to achieve...lol

Last edited by chopin_guy88; 02/06/21 12:36 PM.
wg73 #3079322 02/06/21 05:49 PM
W
wg73 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks everyone for the replies. Perhaps my original question was a little too specific. What I’m curious to know is would you purchase a concert grand (9 ft) piano (any brand) for your home if you had the space and means to do so?

And I’m assuming the purchaser is a piano player but not necessarily a professional player.

wg73 #3079328 02/06/21 06:08 PM
G
G
Thanks everyone for the replies. Perhaps my original question was a little too specific. What I’m curious to know is would you purchase a concert grand (9 ft) piano (any brand) for your home if you had the space and means to do so?

And I’m assuming the purchaser is a piano player but not necessarily a professional player.

Any brand? No. But yes to a NY Steinway D (that's what appeals to me), because I play lots of music with deep bass and that extra 2' makes all the difference in the fundamental tone.

Somewhat related: I don't think very highly of the extra bass notes on a Bösendorfer. To me they are warbly, unmusical, and unusable.

wg73 #3079396 02/06/21 09:52 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

I thought it was the conditional clause that was too restrictive. wink

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
wg73 #3079397 02/06/21 09:55 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
I would not. I would purchase two!

Semipro Tech
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Mozart vs. Salieri
by grand_BB_71 - 04/19/21 02:52 AM
Soft pedal rod falling off on Kawai K500
by ADIRL - 04/18/21 11:05 PM
re-felting hammers
by tjazz - 04/18/21 09:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,390
Posts3,083,989
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission