2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (Andrew_G, c++, babama, 24000rpm, anotherscott, barbaram, Beowulf, 36251, 16 invisible), 608 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 86 of 92 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 91 92
P
P
I only have Android devices, so no Piano Marvel for me.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
T
I am now on level 6 and see that Canon in C is back again. But this time with 120 bpm tempo. Now I understand why the PDF sheet had different speed than the app in 5c.
I also noticed that 6e has Memories again (that I just finished) with speed up to 96 bpm compared to 90 bpm in 5e. I guess I will do it right away before I forget it.

tjf21, looks like we are both at about the same point. I'm 10 exercises into 6A and had to give it a rest for awhile, too much practice and not enough time to do it to get this level completed. IF I hit 80%, I move on to the next one, with me it's all about the time.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
M
M
I'm frustrated with PM lack of looping.

I've gone back to plain Music sheets or Playground Sessions. I just can't live with no looping. It is the foundation of how I practice. I progress faster without the app because I can just loop by myself. Even the exercices could greatly benefits from looping. I don't understand how this was not a dealbreaker while designing the application. It doesn't help that my setup makes it very tedious to engage the assess every time I want to practice a particular section. This absence of crucial feature has completly sucked the enjoyment I could have had with PM. I'll be back when and if they implement a looping feature. And the feature would have to be complete. I need to be able to loop particular snippets at specific bpm to work on harder parts. Slicing doesn't cut it.

Yamaha P-515
I
I
Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by looping. There is a feature on Piano Marvel that lets you highlight the section you want to work on. It is whatever you choose. Is that what you are looking for?

It lets you set the beat also.

Last edited by IdleAwhile; 01/29/21 05:12 PM. Reason: additional info
M
M
Looping means, you don't have to interact with anything to loop a section and practice continuously.
To work, you need to be able to select any section of the score, set the desired tempo and have ideally instant feedback on the notes. Like mostly every other possible learning apps. PM is not without merits. I think it is a great product in many aspect. No looping is crazy to me.

Looping allows for continuous practicing of a hard spot at desired tempo. In my opinion, it is fundamental for practicing songs. And a nice bonus to exercices.

Yamaha P-515
Sarah65 Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by mareg
Looping means, you don't have to interact with anything to loop a section and practice continuously.
To work, you need to be able to select any section of the score, set the desired tempo and have ideally instant feedback on the notes. Like mostly every other possible learning apps. PM is not without merits. I think it is a great product in many aspect. No looping is crazy to me.
Looping allows for continuous practicing of a hard spot at desired tempo. In my opinion, it is fundamental for practicing songs. And a nice bonus to exercices.
You're right, looping is the missing feature in PM. But they are working on it we have been told. Sometimes I also want to practice something quickly, but every time I press assess that count-in comes in and then I am completely out of concentration. This would be very useful, especially with scales.

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
J
J
Can someone please provide instructions on how to import songs into PM? If I have sheet music of a song in the form of a pdf, can I get PM to mince/chop it for me just the way it does for songs in its standard lessons? And then can I use all the standard modes (practice/assess) to learn that song? I’m not clear on how to do this. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by JM77
Can someone please provide instructions on how to import songs into PM? If I have sheet music of a song in the form of a pdf, can I get PM to mince/chop it for me just the way it does for songs in its standard lessons? And then can I use all the standard modes (practice/assess) to learn that song? I’m not clear on how to do this. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

http://pianomarvel.com/uploads/documentation#section-2-a

J
J
thx

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

I have done this with Musescore to convert my PDF (link below) to Musescore file type you can use Musescpre to save as MIDI and an XML which worked to upload into Piano Marvel. However, Musescore doesnt convert it perfectly usually takes some cleaning up depending on how complex the PDF sheet music is. There might be easier or better ways to do this I just tried this out a few times before and it did work.

https://musescore.com/import

Not sure but you might need a full Musescore account too...

Last edited by Sebs; 01/31/21 09:41 PM.
J
J
Originally Posted by Sebs
I have done this with Musescore to convert my PDF (link below) to Musescore file type you can use Musescpre to save as MIDI and an XML which worked to upload into Piano Marvel. However, Musescore doesnt convert it perfectly usually takes some cleaning up depending on how complex the PDF sheet music is. There might be easier or better ways to do this I just tried this out a few times before and it did work.

https://musescore.com/import

Not sure but you might need a full Musescore account too...

Thanks Sebs. You are probably right about the full account. When I selected a song and tried to download the MIDI and XML file, Musescore prompted me to choose between the following options "free 30-day trial" or "Subscribe and Download". I haven't tried it yet, since it didn't mention the pricing - still looking into it.

By the way, based on the link Sarah65 sent, it looks like we need both a MIDI file as well as an XML file of a song to import into PM. I have a couple of songs with only MIDI files. Would MIDI alone suffice (for PM)? If not, how do I get the corresponding XML file for the MIDI file? Sorry, I'm quite a novice in these matters.

@JM77 - In order to upload music files into PM, you will need two files for each piece of music: (1) a MIDI file, and (2) and an uncompressed music XML file. The MIDI file is what is used to play back the music. The XML file is what is used to provide the display of the score in PM. Both files need to be in sync with each other, that is the music notes displayed on the XML score must correspond to the notes defined in your MIDI file.

I use MuseScore to create my scores and then export both the MIDI file and the uncompressed XML file. Both then get uploaded to PianoMarvel where I can then define individual lessons for that score.

If the MIDI files you have are not too complicated, you can import them into MuseScore. Once imported, you can clean up the displayed music score until you have it looking and sounding the way you want. Then export both the MIDI file and an XML file for uploading to PM.

Last edited by John_C; 02/01/21 01:22 PM.

John_C - Colorado Springs
OP Online Content
[quote=Sebs]
By the way, based on the link Sarah65 sent, it looks like we need both a MIDI file as well as an XML file of a song to import into PM. I have a couple of songs with only MIDI files. Would MIDI alone suffice (for PM)? If not, how do I get the corresponding XML file for the MIDI file? Sorry, I'm quite a novice in these matters.

Indeed you need both musixml and midi to upload in PM. If you only have the midi you can open it (if it is only piano and not too complicated) in musescore and export it as musicxml. Then you have both. Make sure you remove all tempo markings in the midi or Pm gives error. The musescore program is still free, you only have to pay for copyrighted songs, classics are free.

J
J
@John_C and Sarah65 : Thank you for the clear explanation. Now I understand what each file does. One thing I'm not clear on is what constitutes a complicated file and how do we "clean up" the song and find out that it's in sync with the MIDI. Is it just by listening to the song and then by trial and error try to fix portions that sound not in sync?

I'll be more specific here: The song that I'm interested in is this version of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake: https://shop.easypiano.cz/midi?title=swan. Although Musescore has some free versions of Swan lake, this guy has a video as well which will be very handy for the fingering. But before I purchase it from this guy's website (that doesn't offer XML, only MIDI), I wasn't sure if I were to import it into MuseScore will it be considered copyrighted (although I would have purchased it from another source). More important, I wasn't sure if the XML file that MuseScore generates for this 3 min. piano-only song would be too difficult to clean up. Please advise.

OP Online Content
I'll be more specific here: The song that I'm interested in is this version of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake: https://shop.easypiano.cz/midi?title=swan. Although Musescore has some free versions of Swan lake, this guy has a video as well which will be very handy for the fingering. But before I purchase it from this guy's website (that doesn't offer XML, only MIDI), I wasn't sure if I were to import it into MuseScore will it be considered copyrighted (although I would have purchased it from another source). More important, I wasn't sure if the XML file that MuseScore generates for this 3 min. piano-only song would be too difficult to clean up. Please advise.

Classical music is copyright free 70 years after the composer's death. No problem.

Make your file clean ... you have to compare your midi note for note with the PDF. Then export as musicxml and as midi! Then you normally have two identical files that are in sync.
If I were you I would start this adventure with a simple little piece of music to upload so that you master everything before starting a 3 min piece. BTW Piano Marvel also has a limitation in the length of the piece, so you may have to upload it in 2 parts (even more complicated)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Classical music is copyright free 70 years after the composer's death. No problem.
However, arranged classical music is not copyright free. The site says: "All the piano arrangements and MIDI files were created by Jan Koláček" and my guess is that those arrangements and MIDI files are protected by copyright.

However, if you purchase your notes from that website and import it to Musescore just for yourself, I think that is totally fine. You have bought the score and you can do with it what you want, just not give it to others.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
@John_C and Sarah65 : Thank you for the clear explanation. Now I understand what each file does. One thing I'm not clear on is what constitutes a complicated file and how do we "clean up" the song and find out that it's in sync with the MIDI. Is it just by listening to the song and then by trial and error try to fix portions that sound not in sync?

I think Sarah65 touched on this too. What I meant by "clean up" is when you use Musescore to convert a PDF to .mscz (Musescore type) often the conversion is not 100 perfect match the original PDF, some wrong notes, rests added, etc. You then need to compare your original copy with the musescore version then correct any mistakes. If the conversion gave you some quarter notes and should be whole notes you simply update them to whole notes it Musescore. Once you have a nice clean final version in Musescore you then export as MIDI and XML and end up with the two files.

I would recommend a full Musescore account as you can often you can find the arrangement already on on Musescore and with full account you can instantly download the arrangment, export to MIDI and XML. This method won't require any conversion. For example a quick search I see plenty of Swan Lake Themes. Some might be exact as original while others might be made into simpler versions. If you go this route you can still download as .mscz and adjust as needed too.

I recall a full account it $35 a year, to me it's well worth it. I use Musescore a ton to create and modify scores for my own use. I will also add I did this method a few times but found the PM little buggy with it and I also just prefer paper. I would give it try with something very quick and easy just to see if you like it before buying anything and spending hours on it. You can probably google and find a free MIDI and XML to test it out.

J
J
More confusion: I pinged another website to purchase a score and the guy said that he can sell me the MIDI and XML but can't give me the PDF (for some random reason). I asked him if the MIDI and XML are in sync and he said he thinks so but can't guarantee it. Now I don't know what exactly XML shows/gives you, but by purchasing the MIDI and XML (without the PDF) would I still be able to clean up the score? This is so confusing...

I must admit that this sounds quite complicated for someone who is not familiar with any of these terms (MIDI, XML, .mscz etc.). Plus Sebs' comment about PM being buggy with these imports makes me wonder if it's worth all the effort. My objective is simple - I want to learn a song using PM's chop/mince features which allow me to learn things in small chunks. But it looks like it's a Herculean task to set it up correctly. I wonder if I'm better off just watching the youtube video of the artist playing it and follow it along (although that's quite boring). Someone suggested Synthesia as an alternative, but I really like PM...

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
More confusion: I pinged another website to purchase a score and the guy said that he can sell me the MIDI and XML but can't give me the PDF (for some random reason). I asked him if the MIDI and XML are in sync and he said he thinks so but can't guarantee it. Now I don't know what exactly XML shows/gives you, but by purchasing the MIDI and XML (without the PDF) would I still be able to clean up the score? This is so confusing...

I must admit that this sounds quite complicated for someone who is not familiar with any of these terms (MIDI, XML, .mscz etc.). Plus Sebs' comment about PM being buggy with these imports makes me wonder if it's worth all the effort. My objective is simple - I want to learn a song using PM's chop/mince features which allow me to learn things in small chunks. But it looks like it's a Herculean task to set it up correctly. I wonder if I'm better off just watching the youtube video of the artist playing it and follow it along (although that's quite boring). Someone suggested Synthesia as an alternative, but I really like PM...

It's perfectly normal for the confusion on this!

They're not really in "sync" as they're distinct files each in their own format, all you need is a MIDI and XML that is generated from the same score.

I don't think PM lets you chop and mince when you upload your own score. At least it didn't before but maybe it does now. Feel free to direct message me, I can share some of my own arrangements I composed and I can give you the MIDI and XML if you want to test the waters with PM before buying anything.

What's your thoughts on just using a paper score and mince it up yourself. Such as, today work phrase 1 (maybe it's only bars 1-2). However, the PM app can be fun to work off too.

Page 86 of 92 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 91 92

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dealer Reduction?
by brdwyguy - 04/11/21 11:55 AM
Extra notes on old Sohmer
by TimM_980 - 04/11/21 11:46 AM
[Poll] Which exercise book do you do and why?
by meghdad - 04/11/21 10:23 AM
Recording Acoustic Piano
by JeffM123 - 04/11/21 10:14 AM
Budget Stage/portable Piano
by Amy H - 04/11/21 09:11 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,221
Posts3,081,083
Members101,152
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission