2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (EinLudov, Dfrankjazz, danielp11, CaseyVancouver, clothearednincompo, David B, anotherscott, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 611 guests, and 448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yes, I would say the kid is very obedient and has excellent powers of concentration. Add that to the usual 5 year old's amazing ability to memorise (in my experience you only need to show them something once) and this is what you get. The technique here, as I said, is beyond him though. Maybe some Mozart?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
A lot of kids who get into piano playing wouldn't become a professional. It's questionable how many would get into piano because of their own interest and how many started because of their parents. A friend of the family once brought the 2 sons over. A was in Suzuki piano and B was in violin who played duets in our living room. Both ended up with different career choices.

They grew up a few years before the Internet took off. Today we're finding a lot more Suzuki and other students who share their music online. There are probably a lot of people like J Ho in the past. When everybody is online, we're seeing many more of them. Many people including myself shared music with those who participated in a PW quarterly recital.

In my school days I played violin out of convenience when my sister started. We shared a teacher and an instrument. We also shared the lack of progress. Although she did choose the instrument on her own, we both travelled without a roadmap. There was no expectation the kind of pieces we'd be playing and how far we would go.

Once I listened to a young prodigy Ryan Wang from Vancouver, Canada on TV. I've never been to his piano recitals until 2 years ago when he came to town at age 9. He was featured in a news broadcast performing a piece for an elderly lady in a senior home on her request. He doesn't have many recordings online but already well known within the local Chinese community. His performances can easily fill a small auditorium.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
One of my teachers was an ex concert pianist, trained in russian conservatory. She had a grown up son who was playing the piano at a very high level. She obviously pushed him a lot to become pro and he was spending a lof of time on the piano.

When he reached 18 or 20, he was so fed up with the whole of it that he dropped the piano and eventually became a computer engineer. I was very close with my teacher and she was really devastated that she completely messed it up. So pushing kids sometimes works out and sometimes it just spoils their youth. Difficult to be a parent !

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Yes, I would say the kid is very obedient and has excellent powers of concentration. Add that to the usual 5 year old's amazing ability to memorise (in my experience you only need to show them something once) and this is what you get. The technique here, as I said, is beyond him though. Maybe some Mozart?
Ok - here's a very difficult Mozart sonata played by the same kid at age 9.

https://youtu.be/GzNw7qgNWpM

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
What a shame. That's just poor teaching!

Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
What a shame. That's just poor teaching!
Well yes, that, plus this is one of the most technically challenging Mozart sonatas. He should be playing a much easier one at this stage of his development.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
He's fine with it. It's the mechanical bashing that needs attention. He plays it like Czerny on caffeine.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
A little Lang Lang goes a lang way! smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by zonzi
Originally Posted by J Joe Townley

I don't think anybody clicking on the link expected a 5-year-old kid to play with the seasoned maturity of a 60-year-old Arthur Rubinstein. To just see someone that young get the keys pressed down at a reasonable tempo and without mistakes is miracle enough.
I don't expect that, but I expect to see a 5 years old kid is enjoying to play a piano, or he is sad to play a piano because he wants to do something else....
I cannot imagine his emotional development after 10 years. For me, the emotion is the most essential part for any art. Just for this, LL's case is completely different, he kept the emotional part.(I am not a fan of LL)
In many cases, a 5 years old kid can play in this way today, it is due to his parents decision: take the time for piano practice instead to play mud in the park. For me, this is very sad to see that.
Even worse, I saw similar cases in the real world....

Most if not all of you did not see this video of little Jonah at 3 plinking out Do-Re-Mi from Sound of Music on a toy piano. There's video of Nobuyuki Tsujii doing the same thing about the same age. It's pretty obvious this is not a case of a parent chaining a kid to a piano. I think Jonah genuinely loves piano. Time will tell if he has what it takes to become a successful concert artist.

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Many people including myself had a battery-operated plastic toy keyboard. Many would not become a pro musician. I didn't get into serious piano playing until much later as an adult.

It's interesting to debate whether toy keyboards would spark children's interest in serious piano playing later in life. Having a cheap keyboard even ones with a songbook in the box can give a child hours of fun. But taking lessons with a teacher and regular practice require a lot of commitment and money from the parents.

I recently got a portable "folding 88" keyboard for traveling for about US$100. It's cheap but nonetheless has 88 keys that allows me to play intermediate level pieces. It's not a keyboard with rainbow color buttons for kids but not a high-end instrument with weighted keys.

Z
Z
just very personal taste: I prefer how Alexandra Dovgan plays when she was 9 years old.

If you really like little Mozarts, you may find many in Mira Marchenko's class

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube location:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added: Chopin nocturne 9-3 incomplete
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Many of us are fascinated by young prodigies (baby Einstein or young Mozart). You see them regularly on TV in shows like "America's Got Talent" or "Britain's Got Talent". Social media allows total beginners and advanced players to perform side-by-side.

Once there was a YouTube video featuring a "3 yr. old violinist" from Korea presumably. The repertoire isn't advanced or out of the ordinary. She played the "Twinkle Variations" out of the the Suzuki Book 1 in her first recital with a music teacher as the piano accompaniment. Within a year, the video generated over 1M views with 1000+ comments. What made this young lady's performance go viral when thousands of Suzuki students go through the same Suzuki Book 1 recital every year?

The video of young Akim Camara at 3 playing violin with André Rieu is always fascinating to watch over & over:

There are some average performances. People started not too long ago who are not seated properly and with hands in awkward positions are featured in Piano Marvel competition videos:

K
K
To be fair and specific Lang Lang did not win the Tchaikovsky Competition that Van Cliburn won but the one for young artists.

B
B
Originally Posted by kbrod1
To be fair and specific Lang Lang did not win the Tchaikovsky Competition that Van Cliburn won but the one for young artists.
Lang Lang never entered any adult piano competition.

BTW, the youngest ever winner of the Tchaikovsky Competition is Grigory Sokolov at 16.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
K
K
Grigory Sokolov has not disappointed those judges.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing by ear v Reading sheet music
by LarryShone - 04/17/21 04:20 PM
Why do used Baldwins seemed to sell for less than...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 04:00 PM
Cesar Mariano - Brazilian jazz piano
by jjo - 04/17/21 03:57 PM
Did many of the great piano compositions start out...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 03:40 PM
Pearl River GP160 for intermediate player
by PoleStar - 04/17/21 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,353
Posts3,083,535
Members101,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission