2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (David B, 24000rpm, chopinetto, CaseyVancouver, Andrew_G, Calavera, c++, babama, 11 invisible), 599 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
Many people here are focused on solo classical piano so not really a whole lot of opportunity for ‘gigs’ as such. Like others I played church music for 10 years (not piano however). Church isn’t gigging though, very different to getting paid. I’ve played some big events but everyone knows at the of the day church is done by volunteers and there’s a wide range of skills and experience so it’s very easy going and supportive generally. It’s actually a great environment to learn music in.

Ha not at a couple of churches the wife and I participated in. We both looked at each other and bowed out quickly. The church had a school which our children attended so the young music director thought he could be late to special practices and I would cover for him. Anyway I do agree that playing for church in general is great experience but realize that if you do you are volunteering your time. The one or two that are getting paid should do the heavy lifting.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Hobbyist. No public performance besides the quarterly PW recitals. Have some recordings uploaded online.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I just entertain my bird. smile

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
First gig I don't remember but it was playing guitar with a band. I'd auditioned for another job along with others, and though I never got accepted by the auditooning band, there was another outfit ready to pick up on what was left.
I was never happy with guitar;in those days (late 60's early 70's) some of the equipment was decidedly Heath Robinson. My amp had no case since it overheated in one and became a distortion box ahead of its time. It also started burning.
Did a lot on organ with a threee piece, regular dance-pop and ballroom. That was where the money was, so I stayed in that line. Played in churches for a number of years and in restaurants until 10 years ago.
Don't bother now, and I got back into some classics again here. (ABF)
It's been fun . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@peterws: Your profile lists you as a "retired Crematorium Organist". So ... did your clients like your performances?

O
O
I toured as a sideman for a few months every year, playing places where you set up in the corner by the pinball machine, to places like Town Hall. Worked in a restaurant when home, to pay the bills. -- Now I play in a Unitarian church, which I'm enjoying immensely. Trying to get into teaching, but may get another restaurant job to help pay the bills. As long as the restaurant lets you play tunes while working, it's a good gig.

VPC1, NS3C, FP-10
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
As a pianist, not yet, but I'm aiming for it. At the moment, my semi-regular gigging is limited to bass.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I'm now 64, started gigging at 16 on organ (rock, soul,) so 48 years. No classical lessons, just cheesy pop lessons reading only right hand, chord symbols and pedals. Changed to piano (jazz, classical.) Trying to add bass clef reading was challenging. (Good for you all that learned both clefts at same time.) Straight bribe to music college (just kidding,) my audition though sucked (not kidding.) After a year transferred to Berklee, after three years dropped out and started gigging months a time in New England. Gigged exclusively then supplemented with day job until 2009, when I stopped the money maker (clubs, weddings.) Since then some jazz gigs, mostly background brunches and private jobs.

Retired from office-type day job and finally have the time to practice and listen (and hopefully still play live after covid19.)

Looking back my biggest takeaway is I never put in the work although I thought I kinda was. After Berklee, for many years studied with great teachers and even though I didn't put the work in, those jazz lessons are proving now to be the backbone of my determination to keep improving.

For all the accomplished players here, I do work on classical but since I missed out on my formative years, my fingering and reading both clefs makes it a slow process, but again I'm seeing that if you put the work in you can improve. Currently, Well Tempered Clavier, #1 fugue is my challenge.

My idea of putting the work in can be summed up like this. Now, when I sit down to practice, I feel like I'm adding on from previous day rather than the feeling I'm starting over again.

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
@peterws: Your profile lists you as a "retired Crematorium Organist". So ... did your clients like your performances?

Never got many complaints. But the undertaker once reported me to my boss (female) for tapping to the rhythm of "Bat out of heck" on the pedalboard. I don't like sitting still.
Turned out later that said undertaker got sacked for "misapproriating" funds. She had a dodgy b/f who needed those funds..
I had to play many CDs, and sometimes the tunes if the undertakers forgot the disc. That happened often.
It was a good job; I enjoyed it.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Have I performed in public or gigged in the past?
--Yes. Examples: choir accompaniment, solo piano for a wedding, classical piano in a few restaurants, a couple of rock bands.

Have I been paid to perform in public in the past?
--Occasionally.

Have I ever made a living from performing in public?
--No, not even remotely close-- some provided pocket money, some were unpaid.

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I hate that word "gig" when what is really meant is "musical performance".

Definition: gig
1. a light two-wheeled carriage pulled by one horse
2. a light, fast, narrow boat adapted for rowing or sailing

BTW, I do not gig in any of those senses.
Alternatively, see: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gig

I do gig in the musical sense... or at least I did until covid.

When someone at work sped into the company parking lot and hit my parked car a mutual friend approached me about giving the person a break by not making an insurance claim and setting up manageable payments. The friend cited how "it was an accident." Of course it was an accident, (car accident), right?

"Gig" apparently originated as a reference to "engagement" in a jazz musician's environment. Shortened for engagement it sounds cool to me but I can understand not liking a word. It is similar to how I feel about the words "groovy" or "keen" which for some reason have a bit of cringe-worthiness.

"I do not gig in any of those senses" listed in the Merriam-Webster dictionary but I have gigged countless times in my dreams since I was first exposed to live music.

Noodler in the musical sense here.

It's funny you should mention "keen" ...
Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o
... I can understand not liking a word. It is similar to how I feel about the words "groovy" or "keen" which for some reason have a bit of cringe-worthiness.
That was a 50s-era repurposing. Its meaning in that context was similar to the 60s "groovy" neologism.

But keen is commonly, and properly, used in UK. It stood out when I first heard it from my Scots colleagues. But I soon came to accept it, given that they knew how to used it correctly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dealer Reduction?
by brdwyguy - 04/11/21 11:55 AM
Extra notes on old Sohmer
by TimM_980 - 04/11/21 11:46 AM
[Poll] Which exercise book do you do and why?
by meghdad - 04/11/21 10:23 AM
Recording Acoustic Piano
by JeffM123 - 04/11/21 10:14 AM
Budget Stage/portable Piano
by Amy H - 04/11/21 09:11 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,221
Posts3,081,083
Members101,152
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission