2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
28 members (CyberGene, AndyP, ando, CharlesXX, Billy Johnsson, Alfred La Fleur, chopin_r_us, aidans, 11 invisible), 269 guests, and 510 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3075196 01/28/21 09:01 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I'm looking for recommendations on a new tool case. Unfortunately, I'm the type that worries that there's a better option out there, and so I like to consider multiple options. I've searched the forum and only found a handful of threads on this topic, and they were all several years old, containing dead links and images. My first instinct is to go with the Genck Jr. soft case, mainly because it's piano technician specific. Any thoughts?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I've come to the conclusion that your organization methods end up being more important than the case itself. But then I've never purchased a case more expensive than US$30. My original case was one the big silver Harbor Freight aluminum briefcase. It has adjustable dividers and a great board insert with slots and loops for tools and pliers. After a couple of years those start coming apart, so I'd buy another one every 2-4 years and cycle the old ones as separate kits for stringing and spare parts that I keep in my trunk.

My current case is a nondescript black laptop bag I got from Goodwill. It's got two big pockets and a few smaller compartments of varying size. I use one big compartment to carry a large canvass tool roll with all my regulating tools, my lever, and a shaving kit bag with my mutes, oiler bottles, USB cord, glue (in small bottles), multi screwdriver, ear plugs, and tools I use every appointment. The other big compartment carries the big cardboard organizer from a Harbor Freight briefcase with all my pliers and stringing tools. I've got a few plastic organizer boxes with punchings, and other small parts distributed in other pockets, and the iPad in a large outside flap. If I break a string, I walk out to the car to grab my briefcase with piano wire. If there's a broken action part I grab the parts briefcase. Otherwise I only carry the one kit.

The most important thing is that you have a system and can remember where everything goes. Every tool has its place, and every place has a tool. Otherwise you start wasting time searching for tools or wasting money replacing tools that you've left in customers' homes.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
My big case is a Bucket Boss quadrilateral case 18" long by 11" wide by 9" deep. Inside I have some plastic divider cases for parts, and several Eagle Creek packing cubes to organize my tools, plus a plastic bag with liquid containers (experience teaches you that you need a secondary enclosure, and some other odds and ends.

The tuning tools fit in a 12 by 3 by 4 packing cube which I can carry separately when I am sure that I am not going to have to do any other work. I also have a small voicing bag, another with string replacement tools, another with regulation tools, one with miscellaneous tools, and one with small amounts of piano wire for quick replacements.

There is another large case with my Jaras grand regulation rack and associated stuff, and a couple of others that I fill if I need some things for specialized jobs. These are cases that I used to use to carry my tools, but wore out or proved less suitable as my current main big case. The largest one with the regulation rack was unsuitable because it was too large, and the stuff inside shifted as I carried it, making it difficult to carry.

Semipro Tech
J
J
New tool cases are something I am always experimenting with. Being located in NYC I take the train a lot and need ultimate portability. I have experimented with using a sling bag for my lighter days. Holds my my hammers, mutes, a few glues, protek clp and a tool roll with the basics. I was actually searching this same subject last night because I was looking for something for my heavier days. Amazon has some pretty sturdy looking electrician tool bags and tool backpacks. Veto Pro Pac, Rugged Tools and Dewalt come to mind. I also came across some of those old threads you mentioned. The one site that is still around, but loads super slow, is jensentools.com. They have some really nice looking tool cases, bags backpacks etc I would check them out for sure.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIY Piano Tuning on Yamaha U1 - Cyberhammer?
by pianofish - 03/06/21 05:08 AM
Bosendorfer releasing new 230VC model
by Sonepica - 03/05/21 11:44 PM
Steinway grand action spread dimension
by grandmaster - 03/05/21 11:31 PM
'91-92 Yamaha U3 and RH Questions
by TLBLibrarian - 03/05/21 10:32 PM
Portrait of Manet
by Dfrankjazz - 03/05/21 10:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,416
Posts3,067,146
Members100,727
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission