2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (Carey, Chouca, Calavera, anotherscott, 18 invisible), 501 guests, and 551 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3075028 01/27/21 08:23 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hopefully, somebody can help me. I am at my wit's end trying to fix this problem. I have an Arturia keylab mkII MIDI keyboard and use a HP hp envy m4 laptop with an i7 processor. With bigger files (especially multis), I am experiencing constant cracks, pops, dropouts, and even a shrill harsh screeching sound that sometimes remains over the top of the multi, patch, etc. necessitating switching to another patch or exiting the application. This is happening with other apps with large files such as Keyscape and Omnisphere as well. All of this is despite recently upgrading to 16MB of RAM (which hasn't seemed to make any difference whatsoever), increasing the SSD capacity to 1TB, and trying a variety of audio device types (including Windows Audio, ASIO4All and Apogee One ASIO), a variety of output devices (including an Apogee One as well as the computer soundcard), and trying every different buffer size I can (again, with little to no difference, only usually making things worse). What in the world is the problem? I give up. I am feeding everything into a power mixer but I don't think that should be a problem. Is there some kind of connection that I am missing or is something not hooked in correctly? Anybody that can help with this, I would be forever in your debt. Thanks!

Last edited by ArtVandalay7; 01/27/21 08:24 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You sure there are no cpu throttle power saving shenanigans going on?

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
According to google, the HP Envy M4 was released in 2012, so it's almost a decade old at this point. If you've been using the same Microsoft Windows installation for all of this time, then you may have all kinds of crap eating up your available CPU cycles. And if you're running anything like anti-virus software or other who-knows-what as a background task, you're losing a lot of what was there.

A M4 appears to have been a moderate-to-lower priced laptop back in the day, as well, so it probably hasn't got the top-of-the-line processor and whatnot either, not to mention that at this point it's ten year old technology.

In short, you may just have an under-powered laptop for what you want to do with it. A complete re-install of Windows and your software from scratch may or may not improve things.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
M
M
Hi There I get the same problems until I disconnect from internet and disable avast for 1 hour. Good luck. MooganDavid

Rme BabyFace Pro, Dynaudio BM6-ll, Garritan CFX Full, Vienna Imperial, Truekeys American Grand, Modern U, Cantabile Solo 2, Hauptwerk Pipe Organ Vst, VB3 Hammond Vst and SPIN Leslie Vst, Yamaha CP33 and Novation Impulse 61
G
G
Make sure the configured buffer-size in the asio-settings is not too low...
On my computer (i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, NI Komplete Audio 6 audio interface) it has to be at least 128 samples, otherwise I get dropouts with some vst...

Furthermore I had to disable power saving mode... I'm using the tool "Full Throttle", but it wasn't easy to setup this tool.

Last edited by Georg Z.; 01/28/21 03:32 AM.

keep calm and play the piano :-)
G
G
I also have an HP laptop... It had much HP software preinstalled.
I figured out, that these software caused performance problems!

I was not able to use "NI Guitar Rig 5" without audio glitches... I had to remove all of the preinstalled HP software! Then it worked fine...

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks to all..LatencyMon would suggest there are no issues with the CPU. Even if it is a bit older, an i7 processor is what is recommended for the apps I mentioned (or a less powerful one) so I thought it would be sufficient (maybe not). And I have updated to Windows 10 Pro (originally had Windows 8 I believe). I believe I have disabled power-saving mode and changing the buffer size whether I am using the Apogee One or the computer does not eliminate the problem. One of many questions I currently have is, after upgrading from 8Gb to 16Gb RAM, how is there no appreciable difference in load time of patches and these sound issues? I'm also questioning how everything is connected/set up. I have MIDI connections from the keyboard and mixer as well as Midi Out/In connections on my keyboard, but it requires being connected to the computer via USB for power (or I need to purchase a separate power cord). The Apogee One has a breakout cord (for instruments) but I am not using it, only plugging into the headphone jack and running this output into the mixer. Georg, do you remember how you accomplished removing all of the preinstalled software specifically?

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
With 8GB or 16GB, the loading time will be the same.

The only difference is that with 16GB, you will be able to load more applications or samples before your memory to be full. And a real-time program like a virtual instrument will behave badly with a full memory (if a sample us shifted from memory to your drive, the system will have to much time to load it when needed.

I hava a 8GB PC which us used for music and the Web : 8 GB is sometimes not enough when Firefox use too much memory then I have too reload my virtual instrument.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Don't be fooled by the "i7" moniker. The i7 series CPUs have SpecMark (speed) ratings that range ...
from
400 for the i7-2630UM
to
27,108 for the i7-11700K.

Even restricting the choices to i7 laptop CPUs from the 2012 era of your laptop ... we see speeds ranging
from
1409 for the i7-2610UE (released in 2011)
to
6078 for the i7-3840QM (released in 2012).

That's a big range, eh?

G
G
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay7
[...]Georg, do you remember how you accomplished removing all of the preinstalled software specifically?

Sorry, but it was about 5 years ago...
I think I just uninstalled all HP software in the "Control Panel" > "Programs and Features"...

As far as I remember, the most important software to uninstall was the HP support application, which informs you about new available driver- and bios-updates...
So be aware, that you will no longer be informed about driver updates. You have to lookup yourself on the HP website for any updates.

This is exactly what I did recently for my Dell desktop.
Originally Posted by Georg Z.
As far as I remember, the most important software to uninstall was the HP support application, which informs you about new available driver- and bios-updates.
So be aware, that you will no longer be informed about driver updates. You have to lookup yourself on the HP website for any updates.
I don't mind software (some would say bloatware) that does NOT execute. But the "support" application runs now and then.
I could not find out why. It's not in the task scheduler.
So the easy choice was to uninstall it.

I don't worry about not getting driver updates. I don't need them.

A
OP Offline
A
Probably a dumb question, but would this problem potentially be solved by using an audio interface? That would obviously be cheaper than getting a whole new computer. But looks like the CPU mark is relatively low so maybe I'm forced to go the new computer route?....

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3632QM+%40+2.20GHz&id=1480

But, again, running LatencyMon indicates "your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts"...

A
OP Offline
A
Also wanted to be sure I have everything connected in an optimal way. The keyboard has midi in/out and usb out, mixer has usb out, and I also have the Apogee One.

Run an experiment to see if this lessens your issues:

1 - Run Asio driver only.. set up your system as you need to use it.
2 - Re-boot your computer, invoke your music software etc..
3 - Disconnect from the internet... turn off wifi and Bluetooth (put in airline mode) and disconnect Ethernet cable if you have one
4 - Now let you computer sit on for about 45 minutes

Does this improve things? This is to discover if there are programs/apps/processes that are running in your computer and competing for resources.

When you power up your computer, many systems go to the internet for a whole host of reasons... to find updates... to inform vendors of your activity... tons of reasons. It can take up to 1/2 hour or more for your computer and all its hidden programs to quiesce.

If things do improve, then you know that there is software running in the background. Now how to find it is another set of issues. In short remove everything you don't need. If your computer does double duty such as a game machine for your kids..... put your kids up for sale and remove their software. Kids and your computer are not compatible for a slew of reasons. Programs such as weather apps, support apps (HP etc.), and other cool things are terrible.

Find out what programs auto-start when you power up... you can use this to discover programs you don't need or just disable them as they will invoke if you click on them as you normally would (some software loads at startup to speed startup or to check for updates etc. and this is not needed). To do this... hit alt-ctrl-delete at the same time... select Task Manager... select Startup tab. Review them.. be careful as some of them are important to running your computer but items such as Skype, or QuickTime, or photography or other hobby software are just not needed.. you can disable them here. Note, disabling is not uninstalling... these programs will still run fine when you click on them as you normally would when you want to use them. If you really don't use that program, then go ahead and uninstall the program as you normally would via Settings, Apps. If you disable some from Task Manager, re-boot before you do the next item.

Then re-run Task Manager, and check the Process tab...and then scroll down to Background Processes.... here, things can become a bit dangerous so be careful. But here, you can see all the programs running in the "background".... go through them. If you don't know what they are, just skip them or if you are really curious, google their names. This list here is great for seeing all the forgotten software running in your computer.... then go uninstall those you don't need. Common items are Adobe products, printer monitoring software, tons o' stuff. Just get rid of what you don't need.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01/28/21 01:22 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I think you're on to something there, BiP.
It's sad, though, that such measures are needed. If this were an all-Linux world it would just work. Period.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Easiest way to rule out software things is to format and clean install windows. Copy everything you need to an external drive, make sure you have all your CD keys that and settings that you need written down and then nuke it. That’s really the only way because even if you spend 3 hours uninstalling crap you can never get your registry and drivers back straight, 5 years+ of random programs can do all sorts of funky stuff you’ll never fix.

If after clean install, and fresh install of DAW and it’s still not working, that’s when you can confidently say it’s a hardware issue.

This reminds me of the medieval method for determining whether a woman is a witch ...
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
Easiest way to rule out software things is to format and clean install windows. Copy everything you need to an external drive, make sure you have all your CD keys that and settings that you need written down and then nuke it. That’s really the only way because even if you spend 3 hours uninstalling crap you can never get your registry and drivers back straight, 5 years+ of random programs can do all sorts of funky stuff you’ll never fix.

If after clean install, and fresh install of DAW and it’s still not working, that’s when you can confidently say it’s a hardware issue.
Submerge her in water. If she survives, she's a witch. Burn her at the stake.
If she dies, she's not a witch. (But she's dead, Jim.)

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Suggestion: disable Windows swap file.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
one question

Did it ever work? Bruce from Philly had a good approach -

try the most simple program and get it working, even playing back a music file though the Apogee. Then get a simple VSTi patch such as a drum. Can you trigger it with the Arturia? Respond at each step success or not.

It seems like you got all this stuff, plugged it in with every cord imaginable to a moderate laptop, and loaded up very demanding programs.

Running Multis - reminds me of that joke - Patient 'doctor it hurts when I do this' Doctor 'stop doing that'

What does you CPU performance meter show?

Last edited by emenelton; 01/28/21 05:13 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
It really doesn't appear to tax the CPU, it's not maxed out when I get the popping/crackling or shrill noises. The fact that it takes a really long time for the computer to load some of the larger files makes me think a Macbook Pro might be worth the investment. I did much of what Bruce from Philly recommended...still doesn't eliminate the problem. Spent 2 hours on the phone with Sweetwater which eventually did away with the Apogee and used the USB from my mixer to the laptop using that, in essence, as an interface. Seems to work slightly better but specifying the inputs/drivers seems to be wonky and not consistent so far but I need to play with it some more. I wonder what recommendations would be for a different laptop/Macbook Pro that won't necessitate me taking a 2nd and 3rd job to pay for it. A moderately reasonable price would, I think, be justified at this point so I don't tear every last hair out of my head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,658
Members100,709
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission