2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (brendon, BerndAB, chaplincap, BlakeOR, AndyOnThePiano, AlphaBravoCharlie, 3B43, 15 invisible), 511 guests, and 568 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Considering how popular the DGX-660 was, I was expecting a post by now for the announcement of the DGX-670. Maybe there was already one and I missed it smile. I'm not in the market for a new piano but maybe some DGX-660 owners might be interested in it.

Yamaha DGX-670

Seems like a decent upgrade.

Currently: Yamaha P-515 | Kawai K300
Previously: Yamaha DGX-660
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
It does seem like a decent slab. It has the CFX with VRM and even an audio card.

I just wonder about the action (GHS), is this Yamaha’s cheapest or a step up? I don’t really remember if this is a three-sensor action.

Still, this instrument packs a lot for $799!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
It was mentioned in some other discussions. Nobody bothered to start a dedicated topic. Until now...

Yeah, it has actually improved with the VRM and all. There are some other new arranger oriented features highlighted by short Yamaha videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/yamahacorporation/videos
- Simple Style
- Smart Chord
- Unison & Accent

I haven't watched this longer introduction yet, but I heard the cheezy beginning of it. Great job. 😀

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
...and the DGX now looks like a Korg. 😉

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by major_key_minor
Considering how popular the DGX-660 was, I was expecting a post by now for the announcement of the DGX-670. Maybe there was already one and I missed it smile. I'm not in the market for a new piano but maybe some DGX-660 owners might be interested in it.

Yamaha DGX-670

Seems like a decent upgrade.

This keyboard is below average in every single element it has.

1- below average key-action
2- below average sounds
3- below average arranger
4- and that mic, my MOTIF XF isn't capable of running a mediocre dynamic mic, this mic must be either a very low-quality mic or Yamaha must have raised the bar really high (which is impossible).

If you buy a DP with the money Yamaha is asking for GDX, at least you will get a decent piano sound!

Last edited by Abdol; 01/27/21 10:57 AM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pete14
It does seem like a decent slab. It has the CFX with VRM and even an audio card.

I just wonder about the action (GHS), is this Yamaha’s cheapest or a step up? I don’t really remember if this is a three-sensor action.

Still, this instrument packs a lot for $799!

I didn't know that Yamaha has added a better set of features. I take back my previous words/comment. I need to research more.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
OP Offline
I was expecting NWX for the action but I guess Yamaha didn't want to cannibalize the P-515. One main bummer I can think of is that the stands don't come with the piano now like it did on the 660. They have to be purchased separately.

Currently: Yamaha P-515 | Kawai K300
Previously: Yamaha DGX-660
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
NWX for $799? The nerve with some people!

What next, Millennium 3 for $1,000?! (Notice exclamation point after question mark; indicating that I’m both mad and rhetorical)!!!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I mentined somewhere that the stand isn't integral; you have to actually buy it! Not good. It's also a shame that CFIII hasn't been improved or used still. I much preferred that to CFX. but maybe they've made the pivot point a little longer . . . . .

Last edited by peterws; 01/27/21 01:12 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
...we need our expert pivot engineer, jeffcat, to further comment on the DGX’s pivot.

No, really, where is Jeff?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I did a search in the Member List, and it could not find jeffcat. Has he been banned?
Originally Posted by Pete14
...we need our expert pivot engineer, jeffcat, to further comment on the DGX’s pivot.
No, really, where is Jeff?

K
K
The 660 was double sensor. Dunno about this one.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I did a search in the Member List, and it could not find jeffcat. Has he been banned?

Oh, apparently yes. 😮

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/users/105100.html

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kaladin405
The 660 was double sensor. Dunno about this one.

From my experience, 2 sensors was enough. Fast repitition was possible on it.

"[Linked Image]"
P
P
I think this improvement between 660 and 670 is bigger than was between 650 and 660. If only that CFX sounds good.

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP; Korg SV-2 73; Hammond XK-1c
L
L
I've looked at the YouTube videos and specs for the DGX-670 and it is definitely an upgrade on the aging DGX-660. For the money it is an interesting keyboard.

It is important to keep in mind that this is a product primarily aimed at home users and non-professionals at a relatively low price point. The action is not great, and will not compete with the Yamaha CVP arranger models in that regard. However none of the other Yamaha PSR models have an 88 key weighted action, not even the very expensive Genos model. It is positioned below those models, but a little above something like the Korg XE20.

One serious shortcoming is it only has one combined headphone/line output. That's it! Not even a separate headphone output, just one combined jack (as was the case with the older 660 model). That is quite limiting and complicates how you would integrate this keyboard, with even an external speaker. It also lacks legacy MIDI I/O jacks. it does have USB and an internal computer audio interface, which is nice.

It has integrated speakers, which are a slight upgrade versus the previous 660 (a massive 10 watts versus 6w in the 660). Although some of the YouTube videos seem to promote the use of the 670 for small gigs, I would not say that this is a keyboard designed to be used outside of your home or gigged with, as the limited I/O and weight are limiting.

However it does have a few arranger features which aren't even in the more expensive PSR-SX series, which is surprising and welcome. It has 4 style variations, and a new Adaptive Style feature which varies the arrangement depending on what you play. I believe that is a first for any Yamaha arranger (although it lacks other features of more expensive PSR keyboards).

It is also good to see Yamaha's SuperArticulation voices and VRM. It is a little unclear how flexible the 670 is with regards to loading new styles/voices. I suspect it is somewhat limited in this regard and similar to other low to mid-range arranger products.

If your focus is on a high quality action and the best realistic piano voices, this is not for you. But if you have fun playing with arranger functions and want a basic 88 key weighted action, the Yamaha DGX-670 represents good value.

Former professional keyboard player and organist
Txs for your ideas, but

1) One needs to try it, not just read about it.
2) THe HEadphone outlet is a line out and thus similar to the regular line outs.
3) THe Kawai MP11se /or MP11 is defined as a stage piano with the weight 34 kilos. So everything is relative I guess. It depends on the user.
4) Yes if only the same action as the p515 but I think again this is on purpose (other than not to compete with their other more expensive models in this aspect), because having all those organs, flutes, brasses and guitars which I heard sound well, means that a light keybed is more suitable than a rather heavy one. THis compromise has to be done. ALso I read that many find the yamaha gh and gh3 keybeds too heavy (which some speculated were a sales trick due to the demand of teachers for more piano like action, which then according to the speculation was intentionally exaggerated in order to be noticeable). But who knows.

It is interesting that you say 10 watts. I also read that in one article whereas another one mentioned 8 watts. BUt reality is that the Yamaha specs say 6 watts, which might be an error. Anyway the DGX 660 had fairly powerful and crisp loudspeakers and making those more powerful might damage the eardrums, since they are turned towards the pianist. I think they are great monitors and I used them for playing back other music sources as well.
I think there is a good idea behind the design. It is not always the case but in this regard yes.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/18/21 01:56 PM.
The headphone output is generally NOT a line output.
The two are not interchangable.

A line output generally has an output impedances of several hundred ohms or more. It's a voltage driver, not a power driver.

A headphone output generally has a low impedance. The best ones are VERY low, but on a piano they're usually somewhat higher. But surely nowhere near that of a line output.

Ok I just say what I was told when asking someone about this. But what does such lower impedance infer, apart from being able to drive some headphones? ANd would this mean that the sound going to the loudspeakers becomes easily distorted? Just guessing.

Last edited by Djengis; 02/18/21 02:00 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You can easily use the headphone output to drive an amplifier. I played at a wedding doing this and the sound was fine. Onboard system gives 6 watts per channel, but it sounds very loud and powerful. The speakers must be good little things.but they do point upwards so that helps no doubt.

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
practice piano device sugguestion?
by MrIDK - 03/05/21 03:25 PM
NY Times article on Blind Tom
by pianoloverus - 03/05/21 02:35 PM
Sound Magic Releases Nameless Grand
by kevin5540 - 03/05/21 02:20 PM
ES110 auto power off
by FinnP - 03/05/21 12:28 PM
Yamaha CLP675 or Roland FP90x
by johan d - 03/05/21 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,408
Posts3,067,011
Members100,724
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission