2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (brendon, c++, CaseyVancouver, Beowulf, brdwyguy, bsntn99, 15 invisible), 532 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I've been learning piano for nearly a year now mostly 'self taught' due to Covid. I say self taught but I've been rigorously working through Piano Marvel (just completed 3A Method and Technique) and Fabers Accelerated Piano Adventures for Adults (finished Book 1) supplemented with some YouTubers who do recordings for the Faber books (Piano with Beth and Let's Play Piano Methods and SuperMANgino). So I'm happy with my progress and I'm enjoying it, but there are things that I'm sure I'm not doing well and perhaps my technique is poor. I did have lessons for about 3 months previously as an adult, so I at least have reasonably ok hand/finger positioning.

I'm considering online lessons and I'd like to get an idea of they best place to find an instructor. I would rather not spend a fortune, but maybe $25 for 30 minutes a week? Is that a reasonable time/cost? I have no idea.... (I hope that wasn't insulting... my local church teacher teaches kids for $7 per 1/2 hour though I'm sure that's very very low. Rural community.)

Anyway, kind of weighing if I should press on solo with Piano Marvel and Faber or if I would get a lot of a online instructor.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
The answer is always that if you can afford to, it is much better to have a teacher, especially as an adult beginner. I actually started online lessons exactly a year after I took up piano (I did face to face group lessons before) and the first piece I studied with my teacher was Etude 10 no 3 (simplified version from Alfred Adult all in one level 2). You'll gain a lot by just working through method books with a good teacher.

Regarding the place, I have been working with my current teacher for over 2 years so I am not updated with best websites but I found mine through googling teachers around my area. for $25 / 30 mins you should be able to find a decent teacher. It should be easy to find someone and a lot of people are on Instagram/YouTube if you're looking to find a teacher you really enjoy (you could usually tell if they're right for you through their content).

I've been playing the piano since Jan '18.
More recently, I passed Grade 6 with distinction and plan to take Grade 7 in late 2021.

I am documenting my progress, recitals and experiences of learning how to play the piano as an adult on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/PeterHontaru
D
D

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
II restarted learning piano again in September 2017. I started with a teacher (which I found via a site which listed local piano teachers) and with Piano Marvel shortly afterwards.

I would say that even with Piano Marvel a teacher is essential. Mine has taught me so much more that Piano Marvel ever could. When lockdown started for me last March I switched to Zoom lessons with her and we have continued like that since. Its good, but not AS GOOD as in person - so we are both looking forward to being able to resume face to face.

I'm in the UK - but I suspect its true elsewhere - my teacher doesn't really do only 30 minutes. Its fine for young children, but she prefers adults for longer. I started with an hour every fortnight but within a few weeks found that it wasn't frequent enough and switched to an hour every week. We have kept it at that ever since (including the Zoom period). I won't say exactly what I pay her (I think she is discounting me quite a lot - I am retired and flexible as to when lessons are) but I think a more standard charge is at least GBP 40/hour maybe more.

The problem with no teacher is the lack of proper feedback. Also my teacher has spent a long time teaching me how to practice - something I haven't seen much from any other source.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ringing overtones on certain notes
by Will M - 04/17/21 07:25 PM
Young Chang U-121 Age and Price
by sansandreas - 04/17/21 06:59 PM
A detailed review for Pianoteq 7 Pro
by TheodorN - 04/17/21 06:50 PM
Question about Grand Piano dynamics range?
by Jojovan - 04/17/21 06:45 PM
Innie/Outtie Blues 2
by Dfrankjazz - 04/17/21 05:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,357
Posts3,083,576
Members101,223
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission