2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (1957, 8ude, 36251, bobrunyan, brdwyguy, Alex Hutor, Asperatology, 14 invisible), 494 guests, and 396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Nahum Online Content OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
N
Music and Metronomes Differentially Impact Motor Timing in People with and without Parkinson's Disease: Effects of Slow, Medium, and Fast Tempi on Entrainment and Synchronization Performances in Finger Tapping, Toe Tapping, and Stepping on the Spot Tasks

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6721399/

(Music and metronomes offer different properties as auditory cues. Metronomes are repetitive regular nonmusical sound events experienced as a continuous stream . However, they are not memorable, even by trained musicians . In contrast, the underlying beat of music is memorable)

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Interesting but nothing is new. I had two teachers in my life, with both of my teachers we use the metronome to learn the rhythm and when I got it I turn off the metronome. Later I use the metronome to check if the triplet or the quintuplet still sounds like quintuplets. I also used the metronome when I learned the swing rhythm. I use it with the sound on beats 2 and 4 to accentuate the strong beat.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

N
Nahum Online Content OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Serge88
Interesting but nothing is new.
?
I don't know if you get the idea: instead of basing on the clicks of the metronome, by based on the rhythmic flow of the music in a head, and not on the movements of hands and fingers.

Last edited by Nahum; 01/26/21 03:10 PM.
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I had a connection problem with Pianoworld but I'm back,

No Nahum, I don't really understand your explanation.

Last edited by Serge88; 01/26/21 03:47 PM.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There's the scientific info the fellow found, and there is what he did with that info. The info is that when people follow an external beat, a different part of the brain lights up than when a person is relying on an internal beat. That may be useful and I'm already making use of it myself. But the conclusions by the gentleman are something different.

For myself: I have a decent internal beat. I never had occasion to follow anyone else's and didn't have or use a metronome. There was a point where my teacher wanted me to work with a metronome, which I recorded. I'd be milliseconds behind or in front, and I also couldn't hear whether I was - I had to learn to hear the stutter d-dap vs. one single "dap". I could count when playing, but if I was asked to follow the counts in someone else's playing, I was pretty weak. So the information that different parts of the brain are engaged for internal vs. external is especially interesting to me.

This gentleman makes the assumption of students or musicians always listening to an external source; either a metronome, or fellow musicians or maybe following a conductor (he doesn't mention conductors).
There is a lot we don't know. For example, when he teaches his students, does he teach them to count without a metronome - how does he teach counting - what kinds of habits have those students gotten into due to however they have been taught up to then? Therefore what might he be balancing out at this point?

When I did violin, the emphasis was on technique: on physical things, because it is a technically challenging instrument. I see that his teaching videos are technique-oriented, which makes sense for that kind of instrument. And you definitely can't count out loud "one and two an'a three" while blowing into an instrument, like one does with piano - which, further, has several different rhythms going on.

If he is countering the results of too much listening to external sources, this all makes sense. I guess his cutting the external source on and off is an attempt to engage those two components. What I've seen is where a musician turns on the metronome, listens to the tempo, turns off the metronome, plays for a while, turns it on again to see if he still has the same tempo. This is more about speeding up, though.

N
Nahum Online Content OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Serge88
I had a connection problem with Pianoworld but I'm back,

No Nahum, I don't really understand your explanation.

Glenn Gould told the following story: during his piano practice, a cleaning lady came into the room with a noisy vacuum cleaner. GG continued to play; but instead of trying to hear the instrument, he turned to what sounded inside him. According to him, the musical result was noticeably better, which imo applied to both phrasing and rhythm.
Did this answer the question?

Last edited by Nahum; 01/27/21 02:40 AM.
Well one of us got a response. Of sorts.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Well one of us got a response. Of sorts.

There are a large number of posts here that do not get a reply—- doesn’t mean they aren’t read. It’s just the world of the internet.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
I was not asking about the many posts here. I was addressing Nahum, who I think wanted feedback about these ideas, but then only responded to one person so far. Or Serge. (anyone else too for that matter) It was about this topic, not the others.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
How do they do it?
by sheana - 04/23/21 07:54 AM
How to Play Blues Piano
by BB666 - 04/23/21 03:02 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,486
Posts3,085,687
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission