2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (brennbaer, 1957, AndyP, Alfred La Fleur, chopin_r_us, anotherscott, CyberGene, CharlesXX, Billy Johnsson, ando, 4 invisible), 335 guests, and 529 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Ainar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
An exquisite performance posted today by Anna Shelest:

Everything on this channel recently has been a gem. Anna has been visiting music by women composers for the past few weeks, sometimes also sharing a beautifully-narrated introduction about their life and work; a series that's definitely worth following.

Last edited by Ainar; 01/26/21 12:03 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Ainar. It is amazing.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Gorgeous sonata and performance—— thanks so much for posting. I have subscribed to the pianist’s You Tube channel.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I’ve been a fan of her playing since the late 2000’s. I even got to study a bit with her father, who was her teacher for a while. She’s a wonderful pianist and person. Her husband is also a great pianist!

Also, I like this sonata more than Fanny’s brother’s sonatas... grin

M
M
Absolutely Luffly

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

She had a brother?

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just noticed her Rachmaninoff Etudes Tableaux and Moments Musicaux album isn’t on Spotify, or even her website... I have it on CD and it’s absolutely fantastic.

A
Ainar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

She had a brother?

Felix Mendelssohn- sometimes not obvious from her name Fanny Hensel (Anna Shelest uses the maiden name in the video). In their youth, Fanny was described as the better player and musician of the two, and as the older sister, Felix trusted her musical opinion and would show everything he wrote to her for approval. But when she was only 15, "her wings were clipped by her father", in Donald Mcleod's words. He wrote to her, "Perhaps music will be Felix's profession, whereas for you it can and must be but an ornament, never the fundamental baseline of your existence and activity. That is why ambition and the desire to make the most of himself in circumstances he deems important are forgivable in Felix, for he experiences it as a vocation. It is, however, no less to your credit that you have always shown your good heart and good sense at these moments, and the joy you manifest when Felix wins applause shows that you would have deserved it equally had you been in his place. Persevere in these feelings and this attitude, for they are feminine, and femininity alone is becoming in a woman."

After her marriage, Fanny started hosting Sunday music salons in her home ("Sonntagsmusik"), where she would play and conduct her own music as well as others'- a revival of a tradition from her father's home. But the limitations posed on her as a woman and the early crushing of her musical ambition made her constantly doubt herself, and she always craved the approval and encouragement from her brother, now one the most esteemed composers and conductors in Germany. When she sent him a string quartet and he criticized the work's "tonal ambiguity" (although conceding that his own work is often guilty of such a fault), she grew depressed and didn't write anything more for ten years. She might have been secretly hoping for him to encourage her to publish, but this encouragement never came. It was Gounod, in Paris, who showed unfailing support to her work, and later the Berlin music enthusiast Robert Keudell, who looked at her work with great interest and offered constructive criticism. In 1846, she finally summoned the courage, without consulting Felix, to publish her music. She wrote to her brother, "I hope I shall not disgrace you all, for I am no femme libre. If it [my publication] succeeds, I know it will be a great stimulus to me. If not, I shall be at the point where I have always been."

Felix replied, "I send you my professional blessing on becoming a member of our guild. May you know the pleasures of being a composer and none of the miseries. May the public only send you roses, and never sand." He signed, "the fellow tailor, Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy". Fanny wrote in her journal, "Felix has written, and has given me his professional blessing in the kindest manner. I know that he is not quite satisfied in his heart of hearts, but I am glad he has said a kind word to me about it." To her friend Angelica von Woringen, she wrote, "I can truthfully say that I let it happen more than made it happen, and it is this in particular which cheers me [...] If [the publishers] want more from me, it should act as a stimulus to achieve. If the matter comes to an end then, I also won't grieve, for I'm not ambitious." (It is curious and sad to see how much she struggled against the negative implications of publishing for a woman- being "ambitious" and a "femme-libre".)

Fanny died only one year later. Felix's sorrow was too great, and he, too, died within a few months. His string quartet in F minor is dedicated to her memory; it might have been the darkest and most passionate work he ever wrote.

(More: BBC Composer of the Week)

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
learning pieces
by Billy Johnsson - 03/06/21 06:18 AM
DIY Piano Tuning on Yamaha U1 - Cyberhammer?
by pianofish - 03/06/21 05:08 AM
Bosendorfer releasing new 230VC model
by Sonepica - 03/05/21 11:44 PM
Steinway grand action spread dimension
by grandmaster - 03/05/21 11:31 PM
'91-92 Yamaha U3 and RH Questions
by TLBLibrarian - 03/05/21 10:32 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,417
Posts3,067,155
Members100,727
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission