2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
This performance by Kanako Mizuno is thoroughly worth listening to. Not only are there some really nice (and well executed!) pieces in there, but it's played on the French-designed Feurich 218 piano which gives it a quite unique sound. Different from a Steinway certainly, but beautiful in it's own right. Personally, I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAABm5Jv2Kg&t=2104s

I wanted to make some comments about the piano. This piano has a very pretty, delicate and clear sound. While listening to this, open in another window any recording of a more conventional piano like a Yamaha (or a Steinway recording in some cases), and switch between them. To my ears, these pianos have a "fuller" sound, but they also sound harsh and clumsy by comparison. This was also my experience when I played these pianos in person. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Despite the delicate sound, she's able to get substantial power from the bass and also the high treble when she wants to.

Some other posters on this forum have criticized the Feurich/Hailun 218 for having a "thin" or "sterile" sound. I suspect the sound produced by this piano is a design choice by Paulello, and quite deliberate, and not at all a failing unless one subjectively happens to not prefer it.

I know people like to talk about how Steinway and Yamaha can "cut through the orchestra" and "project to the back of the hall". But there are no cavernous halls at my place, nor are there any orchestras. In fact, even if an orchestra were so inclined as to visit my abode in an attempt to drown me out, it wouldn't fit. I assume that is also the case for everyone else!

I'm still deciding whether to get the 218 or a Yamaha C7X (which is twice the price). I'm very impressed with the bass on the C7X (although not quite a fair comparison as it is 7cm longer than the 218), but I still feel that the 218 has a prettier sound, particularly when rendering those gentle Scriabin melodies...

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
You should get the one that you like unless price is an issue! My immediate reaction to the sound was that I prefer my Roland LX706. Pity, as I like the specs of the Feurich uprights and the prices, but alas not the sounds.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
You should get the one that you like unless price is an issue! My immediate reaction to the sound was that I prefer my Roland LX706. Pity, as I like the specs of the Feurich uprights and the prices, but alas not the sounds.

When you prefer the sound of a modelled DP over a respectable grand piano......................

My apologies, not sure how to finish that sentence.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I must say that Ms Mizuno is an excellent representative for that piano. I've listened to the Poulenc Novelettes twice.

Larry.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Learux

When you prefer the sound of a modelled DP over a respectable grand piano......................

...the grand piano needs tuning, or voicing, or refurbishment.

...your ears are broken.

...YouTube videos are useless for judging sound.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Learux

Sorry - I should have qualified it and said via headphones. Speakers - definitely not.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
The music lovers of east Yorkshire must have liked the sound of this Feurich 218 because they raised the money to purchase it.
I listened carefully to the Beethoven and very much like the way it was played although listening with just the tiny speakers built into this laptop I couldn't expect that the bass would adequately come through.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
This very piano was regulated, voiced, and tuned by Peter Salisbury who worked on it over a period of days to coax this sound from it. He said he was very impressed with the quality of work and the potential of the piano. Peter is technician for the Royal Festival Hall in London and works with every major classical artist, and understands the demands placed on concert instruments.

YAMAHA Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think the piano sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
T
T
I am the chair of the Howdenshire Music Project who have that particular Feurich 218. We did a lot of research before buying a Feurich 218. We tried one in February 2020 and were very impressed by the build quality and sound. Our concert technician of 30 experience was also very impressed. In the event we bought a differed 218 in December, selected and prepared by Mr Salisbury.

Feurich have featured the piano on their website and all the pianist who have played it have been very impressed. I am completely new to audio and video recording and am learning on the job! Kanako is s wonderful pianist. You definitely get a lot of piano for your buck!

More info here https://www.howdenminsterconcerts.co.uk/lunchtime-concerts

T
T
The recoding doesn't do piano or Kanako full justice - I am a novice in recording etc. It has a rich full sound and an incredible bass and a beautiful singing quality!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For a novice it sounds pretty darned good, Tenor. Good job.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Is it my imagination, or has Feurich left the Piano Buyer guide? I am looking at brand profiles, and seeing nobody between Fazioli and Foerster. Any clue on where to get a sense of their line and prices?

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Is it my imagination, or has Feurich left the Piano Buyer guide? I am looking at brand profiles, and seeing nobody between Fazioli and Foerster. Any clue on where to get a sense of their line and prices?

It may be under Hailun? I haven't looked though

YAMAHA Artist
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie

You're right, they're not there. Maybe they're not marketed in America?

YAMAHA Artist
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Look under their old name

Wendl & Lung

And the 218 is not on there

The listing is out of date

Check with the dealer in Chicago:

Pianoforte - Thomas Zoells is the owner

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I don’t believe you have said yet whether you have played both the Feurich 218 and the C7X.

But listening to those videos, once again the Feurich sounds dull and lifeless. There are dozens of recordings demonstrating the Yamaha C7X and the difference is commanding.

Of course playing the two in person will instantly reveal the superior one.

I know for me cost is a serious issue. At this point a new Feurich 218 is just as beyond my means as a Yamaha C7X or certainly a Steinway B. I’m not likely to be buying any of them.

If cost is not the issue I recommend stop trying to pretend a Feurich or Hailun or a Pearl River can match a Yamaha C7X. There is simply no comparison. For example, a Hyundai Genesis is a nice car but it’s no Mercedes or Jaguar.

https://youtu.be/HqJ7cS2dnT4

https://youtu.be/WFeQ6KLrKi4

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I don’t believe you have said yet whether you have played both the Feurich 218 and the C7X.

But listening to those videos, once again the Feurich sounds dull and lifeless. There are dozens of recordings demonstrating the Yamaha C7X and the difference is commanding.

Of course playing the two in person will instantly reveal the superior one.

I know for me cost is a serious issue. At this point a new Feurich 218 is just as beyond my means as a Yamaha C7X or certainly a Steinway B. I’m not likely to be buying any of them.

If cost is not the issue I recommend stop trying to pretend a Feurich or Hailun or a Pearl River can match a Yamaha C7X. There is simply no comparison. For example, a Hyundai Genesis is a nice car but it’s no Mercedes or Jaguar.

https://youtu.be/HqJ7cS2dnT4

https://youtu.be/WFeQ6KLrKi4

Yes, I've played the Feurich 218, the Hailun 218, and the Yamaha C7X. I did not find the 218 dull and lifeless at all. When I played the beautiful soft melody near the start of Scriabin's 3rd sonata, the 218 produced a more beautiful sound than the Yamaha. My one concern was that it seemed a bit weak volume wise, but it might have just been prep/voicing or simply needing to be worn in a bit. I'm not trying to pretend anything, as I can afford either piano. The Yamaha clearly has a very different sound. You seem to have a strong preference for the Yamaha, which is fine. For me, it's not so clear.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Yes, I've played the Feurich 218, the Hailun 218, and the Yamaha C7X. I did not find the 218 dull and lifeless at all. When I played the beautiful soft melody near the start of Scriabin's 3rd sonata, the 218 produced a more beautiful sound than the Yamaha. My one concern was that it seemed a bit weak volume wise, but it might have just been prep/voicing or simply needing to be worn in a bit. I'm not trying to pretend anything, as I can afford either piano. The Yamaha clearly has a very different sound. You seem to have a strong preference for the Yamaha, which is fine. For me, it's not so clear.

Well we are talking about 2 pianos, one valued around $27,000 usd and the other at $82,000 usd. Nearly triple the price.

You’ve been struggling with this choice for months. I think you should buy the one that fits comfortably in your budget and meets your musical goals. Best wishes with your decision.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
In Australia, after discounting, the Feurich is exactly half the price of the Yamaha C7X. Don't know about the USA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission