2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
At first, the rude male staff was quite protective about pricing. He said never ever below $40,000 and I asked negotiation several times but he never accepted.
On one day I asked the pricing to other female staff and she called product manager in main branch. I told her maximum budget is $37,500 and she talked with the manager on the phone and they accepted my offer. I didn't make decision on that day.

I met my piano technician and heard that the one of his customer bought GX2 at price $36,000 which including delivery.

He said I could get better deal. As the shop has price match policy, I am going to ask more nego tomorrow.

Their attitude was quite protective and said the price is already nearly no margin. My tuners customer bought GX2 in mid of last year.

Do you think they will make it to $36,000?(NZD)

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I think dealers and manufacturers should just come up with a fair and appropriate price and stick to it, instead of this ridiculous situation where sticker price on the piano is meaningless. I also don't think it's fair that some people end up paying considerably more than other people for the same piano.

Really the only way to determine a fair price for the piano is to visit two or more dealers and have them compete for your business.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sonepica
I think dealers and manufacturers should just come up with a fair and appropriate price and stick to it, instead of this ridiculous situation where sticker price on the piano is meaningless. I also don't think it's fair that some people end up paying considerably more than other people for the same piano.

Really the only way to determine a fair price for the piano is to visit two or more dealers and have them compete for your business.
Around here, only one dealer/chain sells a piano brand (new), so you can’t go down the street and compare prices for the same piano. Thus, while you should never have to pay SMP, prices are often well above that. This doesn’t go for all brands around here, but most of them. It was really discouraging when I was entertaining the idea of a new Kawai grand, but the prices were way above what everyone else was paying at the time. 😐

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
T
OP Offline
T
They are only one shop in NZ , which sells Kawai piano

Last edited by tony3304; 01/26/21 01:35 AM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
It's possible that they have supply issues due to covid so are less likely to negotiate. They may be firm on price and you will have to decide whether you're willing to walk away. Of course you could always walk away for the next couple of weeks and see if they come running back to you smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm sure you can't just say that your tech knows someone who bought the piano for 36K. You'd have to show the sales receipt. Since the piano may have had a price increase, the price you heard about may not apply. I think the far more important thing is how much you like the piano. If you really love it than the extra 1.5K will not make much difference in the big picture; if you don't like it that much, getting it at a lower price won't change that.

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I'm sure you can't just say that your tech knows someone who bought the piano for 36K. You'd have to show the sales receipt. Since the piano may have had a price increase, the price you heard about may not apply. I think the far more important thing is how much you like the piano. If you really love it than the extra 1.5K will not make much difference in the big picture; if you don't like it that much, getting it at a lower price won't change that.
+1

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Sonepica

Dealers set their prices based on factors which would be difficult to standardize; what is the dealer’s Cost of doing business including the number of employees, rent or loan amount, local taxes, sales volume etc. the same situation applies to furniture dealers where the cost of the same couch will vary based on where/how you buy. Bought a new car? Prices vary between dealers.

would you really expect some dealers to take a loss on a sale if all prices were identical? To get the best price as a consumer, be informed.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My thoughts:

1) Since you’re not living in an area with several different dealers competing to sell you a new piano, your negotiations on price is rather limited.

2) In my mind, final price is only one factor in finding a new piano.

3) If the dealer’s lowest price is only 1,000 dollars above what you’re wanting to pay and they won’t go lower, ask the dealer for an extra tuning, or an upgraded piano bench.

4) At the end of the day, if this is the piano you really want, after all the visits to the showroom, and all the research, I wouldn’t let 1,000 dollars stand in my way. I’d buy the GX2 and call it good.

Last edited by j&j; 01/26/21 09:38 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
An Irishman I knew was always willing to split the difference, sometimes more than once if the seller agreed.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Originally Posted by tony3304
On one day I asked the pricing to other female staff and she called product manager in main branch. I told her maximum budget is $37,500 and she talked with the manager on the phone and they accepted my offer. I didn't make decision on that day.

Since you made an offer of $37,500 and they accepted your offer at the time, and you didn't buy the piano that day, it is possible they may not take any offer you make seriously. But I'm just speculating.

As for advice on negotiations, you've received some good advice here. I'm afraid I'm not that good at negotiating prices myself.

Wishing you good luck with the negotiations.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by j&j
My thoughts:

1) Since you’re not living in an area with several different dealers competing to sell you a new piano, your negotiations on price is rather limited.

2) In my mind, final price is only one factor in finding a new piano.

3) If the dealer’s lowest price is only 1,000 dollars above what you’re wanting to pay and they won’t go lower, ask the dealer for an extra tuning, or an upgraded piano bench.

4) At the end of the day, if this is the piano you really want, after all the visits to the showroom, and all the research, I wouldn’t let 1,000 dollars stand in my way. I’d buy the GX2 and call it good.

+1

With 37500 NZD you still get a 30% discount from SMP. Which is very good.

Originally Posted by Hakki
With 37500 NZD you still get a 30% discount from SMP. Which is very good.
It may be good, but since Fine's SMP figures do not apply to NZ one can't use them as a benchmark.

L
L
I understand that buying a piano is a huge investment. But I do not think it is fair to use a forum in order to save some dollars. It is wise to get advise about technical properties, acoustics, experience and whatsoever. But at least to me it is not very fair to publish negotiated prices with sellers. They are doing very hard to get some money for themselves, their employees and the huge rent of their big shops, let alone the grands they have to pay before they sell. I am not saying, don´t negotiate, but I would not like to contribute to decrese the margins of the ones who offer us so many pianos, let us play them and get the best out of them, just to be broadly negotiated down by crowd funded reasons. Sorry, just my 2 ct

Empty when full
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It's entirely possible that the dealer or someone associated with them has already read this thread.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Long Louis
But at least to me it is not very fair to publish negotiated prices with sellers.

Hmm ... the ethics of Asymmetric Information Failure.

Maybe the sellers on the forum are as interested as the buyers are.

Larry.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission