2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I need some help in connecting my Roland FP-30 keyboard with JBL LSR305p monitor speakers that I purchased in 2016. I have not used this set up for the last couple of years, so I have forgotten what is the correct method in doing it. My hardware is the FP-30, the JBL 305 speakers, and the Focusrite 2i2 2nd generation audio interface. I already have the Hosa 1/4" TRS jack to dual 1/4" TS jacks, two USB-A to USB-B cables, and the Hosa CPP-206 Dual 1/4" TS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Interconnect Cable, 6 Meters. For software, I have the latest update for the Modartt Pianoteq version 7 for my MacBook Air (2019). I also purchased a USB-C hub that has 4 3.0 USB-A ports for the MacBook Air.

I want to go over the steps I believe is the correct way in doing this.

1. Connect one USB-B to USB-A cable from the FP-30's USB-to-Host port on the back of the keyboard to one of the USB-C hub's USB-A port.
2. Connect another USB-B to USB-A cable to the Focusrite 2i2's USB-B port and plug in the USB-A part to the next USB-A port of the USB-C hub. That way, the FP-30 and Focusrite 2i2 audio interface can communicate with my laptop.
3. To use my external monitor speakers, I connect the Hosa 1/4" TRS cable to the headphone jack of the FP-30, and I then connect the dual 1/4" TS jacks to the left and the right speakers. This will help me to hear the sounds from the piano and Pianoteq to the speakers.

Are my steps correct? Do I need to connect the left and the right speakers with the interconnect cables to the right and left line outputs on the Focusrite 2i2 audio interface? Would it be easier to use two XLR-to-1/4" TRS cables? This could allow me to connect the left and right monitor speakers using the XLR connectors, and then I can use the two corresponding left and right 1/4" TRS connectors on the back of the audio interface. How do I change the input from the digital piano to the laptop, so I can use the monitor speakers for sound instead of the laptop's built-in ones?

I have tried searching for answers using this website's Google search, but it did not help me find what I am seeking for information.

Thank you,
David

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
> 3. To use my external monitor speakers, I connect the Hosa 1/4" TRS cable to the headphone jack of the FP-30, and I then connect the dual 1/4" TS jacks to the left and the right speakers. This will help me to hear the sounds from the piano and Pianoteq to the speakers.

If you want to hear Pianoteq, you should connect the speakers to the line outputs on the audio interface (or the headphone output of the laptop). If you connect the speakers to the headphone jack of the FP-30, you will hear the FP-30 sound engine.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Your steps #1 and #2 are correct. But, #3 does not sound right. What you do in #3 will depend on what you want to achieve.

It is not clear what you want to achieve. Do you want to hear Pianoteq's sound through the monitor speakers or your Roland FP-30's sound through the monitor speakers or both combined?

If you want only Pianoteq's sound through the monitor speakers, you connect the Focusrite 2i2 audio interface's speaker outputs to inputs of JBL 305.

If you want only Roland FP-30's sound (which I don't think is the case given that you are connecting the laptop), then you connect the line out of FP-30 to inputs of JBL 305.

If you want to listen to both Pianoteq's sound and Roland FP-30's piano sound from the monitor speakers, then you will have to connect line out of Roland FP-30 to line in. And, connect Focusrite 2i2's speaker outputs to inputs of JBL 305. Then use DAW to combine both Pianoteq sound and the line in of Focusrite to line out of Focusrite.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission