2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
90 members (agent8698, 36251, aphexdisklavier, Alfred La Fleur, anotherscott, BerndAB, 22 invisible), 500 guests, and 560 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
A Yamaha promotional booklet I got from a Yamaha Dealer recently tries to discourage people from buying a used Yamaha because "the first 10-20 years of a piano's life are its best".

Obviously, Yamaha's real concern here is that if you buy a used Yamaha then they don't make any money. But is their claim true?

Amusingly, the book also recommended buying a new Yamaha because it will "last for generations". Seems they can't have it both ways....

Another Yamaha dealer tried to discourage me from buying a Chinese made piano over a Yamaha because they have poor longevity. Which I don't believe. But if even a much more expensive Yamaha isn't so good anymore after ten years, why would longevity even be an issue? Better to buy the Chinese piano for half the price, and then 10 years later, just buy another one!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
F
F
Intersting, going to see what the overall opinion here is. My teacher has a 1970 Steinway or something like that, I heard somewhere else that those are supposed to be incredible. Are there "years" for pianos like for fine wine?

My parents own a new Yamaha Grand and a used C.Bechstein from 1930 that has been refurbished 25 years ago. The Yamaha is great, but it can't beat the C.Bechstein in my opinion.

But I have also heard before that pianos degrade significantly over time. So what are the best years of a piano?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Piano brands definitely do have their "good years" and "bad years", just like guitars (*cough*Gibson) and anything else. But, like everything else, there are strong opinions and exceptions.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Kawai 602-M Console in Oak [1991; previously owned]
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
The industry standard DESIGN lifespan if a general use piano has been 30-40 years for a very long time. (A high use piano gad a shorter design lifespan). The designers/makers know that under normal operating conditions, it is in that time frame that critical components are in enough state of decay (normally) that the instrument can no longer function at its prime. Their recommendation is to rebuild it (totally or partially) or preferably replace it. Ultimately it depends on the use to which it is put and the environment in which it is kept and the care it receives.

Ask any manufacturer of any item...car, truck, refrigerator, lamp, chainsaw, battery, etc etc. They all have a design lifespan with normal use. Add abnormal use or neglect and the lifespan drops. Add regular routine maintenance and/or obsessive detail maintenance and the lifespan can go up, sometimes dramatically.

The sales depts on the other hand are in the position to SELL. The more they sell, the more they earn, the more get made, etc. Unfortunately sales people are notorious for saying anything to make a sale. (This is universal, though there are honest sales people, even they have a tendency to fudge the numbers a bit). It is the PR end of the piano industry that is responsible for the myth of multi-generation performance claims. They can do this BECAUSE the average buyer has no idea/knowledge about what they are buying and can be easily swayed. Also, sales people are rarely (if ever) held responsible for the claims they make. Once you sign...its your decision, it's now your responsibility.

SS is possibly the biggest culprit in this whole scheme from way back. But since it works to sell pianos, all the others jumped on board too. Therefore the myth spread exponentially. They claimed (and continue to claim) that buying a SS piano is a better investment than the stock market. Ha ha ha! (They're not that far from the Brooklyn Bridge either).

So, the first 20 years are probably the best years (if maintained properly according to the usage it is put). It's not going to "last" 100 years. It may "exist" but not "last" if you understand the difference.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P W Grey
SS is possibly the biggest culprit in this whole scheme from way back. But since it works to sell pianos, all the others jumped on board too. Therefore the myth spread exponentially. They claimed (and continue to claim) that buying a SS piano is a better investment than the stock market. Ha ha ha! (They're not that far from the Brooklyn Bridge either).
I always tell people that the reason people still flock to a SS piano is because they won the marketing war after, well, the war, and it's stuck ever since.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Kawai 602-M Console in Oak [1991; previously owned]
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
They are master's at it. Mason & Hamlin OTOH was as good or better product, but not aggressive PR. They lost. Some would say that's just business, and to some degree it's true.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
F
F
Is SS "Steinway & Sons"? I'm German, that acronym is already taken in my brain.

Also, very interesting. As I said the C.Bechstein my parents own was refurbished about 25 years ago and now the first larger maintenance things are coming, like a squeeky key or hammer felts that need to be changed. So you could indeed say his best years are over (again). Still sounds amazing though.

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Yes about Steinway. S&S would be a better abbreviation.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
practice piano device sugguestion?
by MrIDK - 03/05/21 03:25 PM
NY Times article on Blind Tom
by pianoloverus - 03/05/21 02:35 PM
Sound Magic Releases Nameless Grand
by kevin5540 - 03/05/21 02:20 PM
ES110 auto power off
by FinnP - 03/05/21 12:28 PM
Yamaha CLP675 or Roland FP90x
by johan d - 03/05/21 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,408
Posts3,067,011
Members100,724
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission