2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (Chouca, BlakeOR, AlphaBravoCharlie, Carey, Calavera, 21 invisible), 476 guests, and 542 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Pooya Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Dear all,

This is my first post on PianoWorld! Therefore I think it's only appropriate if I start by expressing my appreciation for the wealth of information that I have found here and thanking the community. Had it not been, at least in part, for the fascinating conversations and imparting of useful information in every post, I might not have been able to make an informed decision when shopping for my first grand piano.

I am a classical piano music enthusiast who could only afford a mini-sized keyboard as a child and briefly owned an upright into my adolescence and then a Yamaha P140, which I used sparingly over the past 15 years. Now more than a decade later, I have a newfound desire to start playing the piano again (currently gorging through my scales and arpeggios) as a (serious) hobby. However, my P140 left a lot to be desired in terms of touch and action, which prompted me to consider upgrading to a better digital or even possibly a hybrid a month or so ago. I considered a few digitals and passively (without actually visiting any stores and trying them out) researched every product and spec sheet/forum/video extensively and eventually settled on either Kawai's MP11SE or CA-79, mainly because of their action fidelity, discounting the Novus line for their relative high price compared to an acoustic, all the while also researching grands merely out of passion.

However, a single visit to the piano store and trying a few digitals and acoustics was enough to sway me away from digitals and reawakening my dream of having a grand. Long story short, my Kawai GX-2 is going to be (hopefully) delivered in less than 24 hours and I thought I share that news with you folks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello, Welcome to Piano World, and Congratulations on your new Kawai GX2! smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Pooya:

Welcome to Piano World. It's heartening to hear that you have had such a positive and rewarding experience on this forum.
n
To us piano "geeks" can there by anything more exciting tha a new piano and, in your case, your first grand.

Congratulations! May you reap much enjoyment from it for years to come.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Congrats 😊. Please post pics when your piano is set up— we love to celebrate new pianos

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Congrats, that's very exciting! smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
H
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your new Kawai GX-2!

T
T
Big congrats!!! I am also going to buy new GX2 in this week. Hope it delivered in next week!!! It must be the one of most exciting event in your life.

Last edited by tony3304; 01/25/21 02:05 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Nice choice. I also had a P140 for few years.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Congratulations, and enjoy for many years

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new beautiful Kawai GX2. How exciting. Please post pictures when it’s delivered! If you go to the last thread by Tony3304, a question about where Kawai’s are made, KawaiDon, gives a wonderful informative answer about Kawai pianos. KawaiDon is our resident expert on Kawai pianos. Best Wishes on your new grand piano adventure!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the club!
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Dear Pooya,
I hope your new Kawai GX-2 grand piano has been safely delivered and you are already enjoying the musical and aesthetic pleasures of owning a beautiful, new grand piano. Kawai pianos have quite a following on the Piano Forum and we look forward to hearing your impressions of your new piano.
Congratulations!
Robert.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Welcome to PianoWorld and congratulations on your new GX2! That's exciting. There's something very special about realizing the dream of owning a grand piano. Having one of these majestic instruments sitting in your home is thrilling. After 4 years next month, I still can't believe it's here. I've played a few of the Kawai GX grands and they are lovely. You're in for a real treat!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! And, well, Thank you!

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!🍾🎉🎈🎊

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
P
Pooya Offline OP
OP Offline
P
TLDR, the delivery went smoothly and I am a very happy man, see pictures.

Thank you very much for the heartwarming messages everyone! Good to be here! I finally received my lovely piano! It was delivered in the crate and I asked the delivery folks to only attach the legs and the lyre and reserved the final unwrapping and unlocking the action for myself to savor every moment! The feeling is unreal! Never did I fathom I still have the capacity to be that excited!

The piano is a meticulous marriage of craftsmanship and engineering. The level of detail, the precision, the character, call me naive, but it has far exceeded my expectations. It's especially a marvel in my mind because of its relative accessibility at its price point. I try to convey some of the beauties of the instrument through pictures if you would indulge me: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3074149/kawai-gx-2.html

The piano is virtually impeccable, devoid of any discernible aesthetic flaws. The action is very responsive. It is impressively in tune, especially after having traveled half the globe from Japan to the States. Even before any voicing the tone is very warm and rich (I want to to say warmer than the GX-3 I tried at the store, but I just might be high on piano right now!). The transition from the non-copper to copper strings is virtually indistinguishable (almost all other pianos I tried at the store had that issue other than an old Steinway). The sustain is truly impressive, across all registers, but especially so on treble and bass. Kawai puts an impressive number of features into its pianos, features that some other pianos in this class don't offer. I can't visually tell that the soundboard is tapered, but I want to say it does feel like it resonates better at lower volumes. The bridge is obviously vertically laminated (see the pictures).

And did I mention the action? It is very pleasantly weighted and feels like the extension of my hand. Feels like I stepped up in technique overnight (I can now play some passages that I couldn't play on my digital before without any fatigue). The extra key length (and of course being a grand) almost removes the weight disparity at the front and back of the keys.

But, I have to admit that my "truly beloved" is way too loud for me, which is something I need to work on, both in terms of managing the acoustics of the (rather small) room (for now I have put a few pillows under the piano to reduce the reverb of the hardwood floor and close the piano lid) and getting my ears used to the sound of a real acoustic.

At the risk of sounding like a cliché, it feels like it is semi-conscious! Again, forgive my naïveté, but it's been a long time away from any acoustics, which makes the contrast (to a digital instrument) that much more stark!

Anyways, given how in tune it is, I will let it acclimate to the environment before calling up my dealer for the promised regulation and tuning.

Rick, BruceD, dogperson, twocats, Hakki, MarkL, dhull100, Ian, Robert, thank you for your messages!

tony3304, best of luck in your piano buying journey!

j&j, thank you for referring me to KawaiDon's message, very reassuring.

GC13, exactly, I keep going to the room just to make sure it's still there!

KawaiDon, I am very impressed by the quality and attention to details so far (even the packaging was more robust than other unboxings I have seen).

M
M
Originally Posted by Pooya
(I want to to say warmer than the GX-3 I tried at the store, but I just might be high on piano right now!)

Oh, there's worse things than that, Pooya! :-)

Congratulation on your purchase and on the smooth delivery... and many, many happy hours with your new companion!

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You're a good photographer, I like some of those shots. The piano is beautiful, enjoy.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Next, we need to hear a nice recording of this gem!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by GC13
Next, we need to hear a nice recording of this gem!

Should be a version of Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely!"

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,677
Members100,711
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission