2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (Bob A, anotherscott, Chalie, agent8698, ando, ambrozy, CharlesXX, brdwyguy, 14 invisible), 420 guests, and 559 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Ido Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Many times in this forum we search for 'serious' classical performances on digital pianos, by professional/advanced pianists, to get a sense of how these instruments can sound when brought to their full potential.
We already have Stu Harrison of Merriam pianos, but here's a relatively new channel, focusing more on classical performance, and so far only using the P515:
Chopin Etude
Chopin 1st ballade
Mozart K333

In my opinion - this represents how far the P515 can go (at least without a VST).

Hope you enjoy!

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
What was it you said about the P-515, Abdol? wink

And to the rest of you DP haters I have but just a few words:

This is just a snapshot of what’s headed your way; this is just a baby digital, but you just wait, you just wait for the big guns to get here and once and for all blow the acoustic into oblivion! grin

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I don't think much of examples of great pianists on dp's, they make anything sound incredible.

I
Ido Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I actually feel the other way around - the performances I linked are pretty good, this is a very skilled player, and yet I can hear the exact things that bother me on my P515. For me this was an indication of where I can draw the line between blaming the instrument and blaming my poor playing :):)

This kinda proved me that even if I get much better, there's a very clear limit to how good I can sound on this keyboard (without VSTs).

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by U3piano
I don't think much of examples of great pianists on dp's, they make anything sound incredible.

Exactly

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
And just how far do you expect the P-515 to go on a tank of $1,500?

Yes, I said it; a concert-grand’s tank is about $150,000 (give or take), so yes, it’ll probably go a little farther than the P-515 holding a meager $1,500 worth of watts per minute.

I can’t expect a Prius to go as far as a Tesla on a single charge, but I sure as heck know that I’ll get to San Antonio if only I make a few stops to recharge.

Once again, the P-515 is just a baby-digital, so perhaps it is not fair to place it head-on against a Steinway D, but I can assure you that grown-up digitals are rearing the corner as we speak, and it will not be a nice scenario for the acoustics once they arrive!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The problem with people that cry "wolf" is we do not know for sure if/when they are serious, like Pete's post above. If he is just crying "wolf" (tongue in cheek) then it is just another disposable post to be dismissed. If he is serious, especially on the last sentence, then it is a lot of BS IMNSHO (see Pete, the "H" is there wink ). Our crystal balls are not good a foreseeing the future, mine is as good/bad as his, but anyway mine says one century from now (assuming we humans are still around) there will still be APs, though certainly with several improvements and technological advances compared with current ones. And digitals that holophonic projection sound systems that will sound closer to the hundred years yore APs but will still be lacking to then modern APs. And, ofc, other key instruments that we cetainly cannot dream of now.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
IMNSHO, Mr. EVC, I am not full of it (last I checked), and most certainly know for a fact that the acoustic, as we know it, will soon go extinct!

Keep in mind that piano-making is a business first and foremost, and the old-as-pyramids rule of thumb is that a business that is no longer profitable ceases to be a business by definition, and therefore, becomes a museum relic!

I ask, is the acoustic piano ‘industry’ truly profitable? No! So it is, according to Pete, on its way to becoming a relic!

Yes, the acoustic will be around in 100 years; it’ll be showcased in a museum next to the harpsichord and Tutankhamen’s all-wood organ(s), but it will no longer be a viable and practical instrument that people truly want in their living rooms. Granted, 100 years from now you will have the occasional collector showing off his latest acquisition of a relic acoustic, but that alone does not an industry make.

I rest my case! (No, really, I’m a little tired right now and do not have the energy to continue).

I
Ido Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I did not compare it to a concert grand. And higher end DP's don't sound much better, at least not direct.
My point is that even when a skilled player like this is playing, I can still notice all the shortcomings of the instrument - it mostly revolves around resonance and how multiple notes sound together. This is unlike many claim - that in the hands of the right player, you won't notice a difference.

I do believe DPs will get much closer soon. For me, they don't have to simulate an acoustic 1 to 1. They can even redefine what a piano is (e.g. no need for an escapement, pedal noise, etc.). But there's a certain level of realism that is required for the notes to sound natural and not super artificial, and when they achieve this level, I will happily live with it smile

In the current state of things, I'm constantly being reminded of how artificial the sound is, no matter how hard I try to focus on the music. Basically every time i start playing. I don't get used to it.

J
J
Had a feeling that once I clicked it'd be Daria. She definitely is a very skilled pianist. I enjoy her playing. I purchased a P-515 based on her videos.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by dmd

Exactly

Regardless , The player is a skilled pianist

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
D
D
Originally Posted by Ido
Many times in this forum we search for 'serious' classical performances on digital pianos, by professional/advanced pianists, to get a sense of how these instruments can sound when brought to their full potential.
We already have Stu Harrison of Merriam pianos, but here's a relatively new channel, focusing more on classical performance, and so far only using the P515:
Chopin Etude
Chopin 1st ballade
Mozart K333

In my opinion - this represents how far the P515 can go (at least without a VST).

Hope you enjoy!

Well, P515 can make the illusion on Chopin Etude op.12 n°1 in C, although mistakes (I make more than her in this Etude !) and basses not catched by pedal (I don't miss basses with my pedalling though).

However, P515 sounds very digital (fake, beurk !) on Chopin 1rst Ballad (many false notes) and Mozart Sonata. Not a big improvement compared to the Roland Fp8 I was playing more than 20 years (took it on holidays, while preparing last grade conservatory exam).

I think Kawai DP's sound way better than this Yamaha

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jitin
Originally Posted by dmd

Exactly

Amazing how these female players are all so darned good looking . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Sounds great! Takes some nerve and courage to post the op.10 #1 on a $1500 DP. wink

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X

U
U
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by Jitin
Originally Posted by dmd

Exactly

What a dumbass thing to say.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UpNorth
Originally Posted by peterws
[

What a dumbass thing to say.

Not really. Maybe of course, there are excellent female pianists who aren't blessed with a striking visage or curvacious form. Maybe, too, they generally don't achieve pre-eminence for that reason.
One could say the same about opera singers, newsreaders, chat show hosts, the list is endless. "Elitism In the public eye" could quantify a long list.

Look, there's not much else to do in a pandemic but spout drivel and occasionally play piano. We've all been doin' this on this site since I arrived, and nothing, just nothing will change that anytime soon.
Some of us are not totally unhappy with this. . . . smile

"[Linked Image]"
V
V
+1 to the dumbass critique.

These type of comments are common at PW and it's about time to stop... Peterws lame excuse only makes it worse.

Last edited by vagfilm; 01/25/21 07:13 AM.
D
D
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Sounds great! Takes some nerve and courage to post the op.10 #1 on a $1500 DP. wink

this one sounds the best of the three on this P515, rapid/virtuoso pieces particularly highlight the attack side of the sound, that are well reproduced in sampled pianos.

Virtusoso pieces are easier on DPs, their touch is lighter so less tiring than acoustic grands wink

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vagfilm
+1 to the dumbass critique.

These type of comments are common at PW and it's about time to stop... Peterws lame excuse only makes it worse.

Are you, sirah, attempting to undermine my lifetime obsevations of the ingrained habits of the Human machine? How we are divinely engineered as to an informed appraisal of that which is termed "desirable" and "good", "fit for purpose"?
That word alone is the biggest motivating force on this planet, whether it be attributable to peace, war, engineering or architecturre, natural structure and functionality (mis-spelt, I know) all of which is embodied in the female, if one is a male.

This is a natural law. DO NOT mess with natural law! it will sooner or later turn round and bit ye where it hurteth. Usually around the nether regions.
Lest you forget, our treasured cherished females are also capable of a little of the 'appreciation syndrone' when it comes to hunky males who leak testosterone from everry pore.
The funny thing is, women tend to deliberately attract attention by their aparell, and, or, the way it's worn. Until they get older, and less interested in said males.
Men do what men do. This is often wht attracts women to them; supreme confidence and the power to make things happen.

So when you so lightly disparage my perception (she is indeed very beautiful) you disparage your own sex, and contribute towards its eventual demise. At the hands of some females no less who will be very glad to divest the male of power, safe in the knowledge that such are the ones wholly responsible for the state the planet now finds itself in. Further, they are worthy only of scorn, despicable neanderthals whose main purpose in life should be only heavy manual labour with tightly controlled breeding.

I could write books on such stuff.

So vagfilm, that is a terrible indictment of all of us gentlemen!

"[Linked Image]"
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by doudou
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

this one sounds the best of the three on this P515, rapid/virtuoso pieces particularly highlight the attack side of the sound, that are well reproduced in sampled pianos.

Virtusoso pieces are easier on DPs, their touch is lighter so less tiring than acoustic grands wink

I reckon she's shown us the formidable capabilities of the keyboard. With the right setting it can feel light and very agile. I'd like to hear the music played through the Bosendorfer or Jazz grand samples which are very dynamic.

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Where to find good interpretations?
by pablobear - 03/03/21 08:01 PM
Pretty, but a little overpriced??
by ShiroKuro - 03/03/21 07:05 PM
My simplyfied setup.
by lvercaut - 03/03/21 04:13 PM
Uprights with a proper music desk
by Tone Deaf - 03/03/21 03:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,375
Posts3,066,447
Members100,701
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission