2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, 8ude, BlakeOR, AlphaBravoCharlie, Carey, 24 invisible), 489 guests, and 524 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 18
M
Mulberg Offline OP
Junior Member
OP Offline
Junior Member
M
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 18
So, after a throughout research I've finally decided on the piano I wanted to buy - it is Yamaha CLP-745!

I initially considered mostly slab pianos (P-515, es920, FP-90x). But then the CLP-735 got my attention - it was in a sweet spot in terms of my budget and it had all the features I wanted. But today, after I played CLP-735 in store and compared it with CLP-745, I realized that CLP-745 worth the extra: the sound is so much better and the key action is a little nicer (for me).

Anyway... The bad news for me is that there is a shortage of supply and I may have to wait for my new piano up to 6-7 months! frown (I put a deposit anyway)
However, the seller said that they have 2 floor models of the color I want (Rosewood), and if I don't want to wait I can take one of those.

So, the seller was hesitant to give me any discounts for a floor model, and finally said that they can offer $100 off (which doesn't sound too attractive considering that this is about the piano for $3500 (CAD) ). AND these floor models are on the floor since August.

$100 discount is nothing and I would love to have a new piano. But maybe I am overthinking and there is nothing wrong taking a floor unit?

What do you think?

Last edited by Mulberg; 01/24/21 01:34 AM.

CASIO CDP-240R
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,462
C
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,462
The main difference between those options is the 6 to 7 months wait.

In both cases you get the same piano in "practically new" condition with full warranty. (I assume.)

You'll also pay pretty much the same amount of money.

Once you get the piano you'll forget that it was a floor model.

But you knew all this already. There's nothing new to say. It's just a decision that needs to be made.

(And I'm not helping much...😉)

Joined: May 2020
Posts: 471
M
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
M
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 471
Originally Posted by Mulberg
Anyway... The bad news for me is that there is a shortage of supply and I may have to wait for my new piano up to 6-7 months! frown (I put a deposit anyway)
However, the seller said that they have 2 floor models of the color I want (Rosewood), and if I don't want to wait I can take one of those.

So, the seller was hesitant to give me any discounts for a floor model, and finally said that they can offer $100 off (which doesn't sound too attractive considering that this is about the piano for $3500 (CAD) ). AND these floor models are on the floor since August.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't recommend taking a floor model. However, seeing that there's a worldwide shortage of pianos, and being quite sure that the floor model(s) in question might not have been played that much due to lockdowns (in Canada too, right?), I'd make an exception. Maybe ask the seller to clean your piano in the best way possible beforehand, you know, as a kind of (free) extra service?

To sum it up in just three words, Mulberg: go for it!


at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,185
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,185
That's a tough decision! I'd prefer new/in-box, but a floor model is okay. I own one such.

But I don't care for the rosewood finish (or any such simulation) of the offered floor model. I much prefer the polished look.

But I wouldn't like to wait six months for a piano.

Yes, this is a tough decision. And, like cloth-meister above, I'm not helping much, eh? frown

Joined: May 2020
Posts: 26
J
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
J
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 26
I wouldn't be patient enough to wait 6-7 months!

Depending on how long the warranty is and providing it starts from the day you purchase it and not August last year, I'd go for the shop floor model.

John


Kawai CA79
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 151
L
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
L
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 151
I would only accept a factory sealed box in normal circumstances but 6-7 months of wait is killing yourself.
Go for it but check twice before and after delivery.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,147
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,147
Floor models have the advantage of knowing that it works before getting it home. Nothing more frustrating that unboxing a new one that has issues like sticky key(s,) bad speaker, who knows what.


AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 557
B
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 557
My current hybrid was a floor model too. And I agree with 36251 that you will be receiving a product that is more unlikely to have any defects than a fresh new one.

If it looks and feels as good as new, what’s the problem? smile


Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,759
P
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,759
If that piano has been sitting there since August with the fallboard open, plenty of dust has found its way into the sensors already (I doubt that the dealer goes around every night making sure that all the digital pianos’ respective fallboards are closed).

I mention this because it’s one of the biggest problems with these types of instruments (dust), and I learned the hard way to always keep my piano’s keys covered when not in use.

Personally, a $100 discount is an insult for a floor model; I would wait for the new unit. The dealer is probably exaggerating the wait-time to compel you to take the floor model (dealers are full of it).

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,805
S
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,805
Originally Posted by lvercaut
I would only accept a factory sealed box in normal circumstances but 6-7 months of wait is killing yourself.
Go for it but check twice before and after delivery.
I agree, go and check it over in the store. Perhaps show some disappointment and see if you can get a further reduction or something else thrown in (sheet music, bench, headphone, sub). crazy

The good thing, compared to a new from box model, is if you check it carefully there wont be any nasty surprises, clicky keys, buzzing speakers, and other tales of woe we get one here.

Anyway, if you do like it enough to accept the $100 reduction, then it's fine.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,185
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,185
Upon re-reading the original post, I see a problem ...
Originally Posted by Mulberg
The seller was hesitant to give me any discounts for a floor model, and finally said that they can offer $100 off (which doesn't sound too attractive considering that this is about the piano for $3500 (CAD) ). AND these floor models are on the floor since August.
I don't like the notion of a dealer "offering a discount". IMO it's incumbent on the buyer to "take a discount".

Offer the dealer the price that YOU want to pay, and give no consideration to the price HE wants you to pay.
To put it another way ... let the dealer try to get you to raise your offer ... instead of attempting to get the dealer to lower his.
Or yet another way ... start low and come up a little, rather than starting high and trying to bring it down a little.

Secondly, I don't know the piano market in Canada ... but converting 3500 CAD gives $2747 USD. That's a good price for the unit if it were polished ebony brand new. Not so good for a floor model. And terrible for a rosewood finish. I would offer several hundred dollars less for the rosewood floor model. Try him with 3000 CAD.

Just my hardcore two cents ... smile

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,759
P
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,759
Mac, according to your conversion-rate 3,000 CAD comes to about 2,247 USD for a rosewood 745.

Is it really possible to get a 745 rosewood for 2,247 USD or does something get lost in conversion?

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,185
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,185
I saw the 645 in polished ebony at Sam Ash a while back for $2800 USD.
The fakewoods generally come in for several hundred dollars less.

The 745 next-gen piano might be slightly higher ... or not. But you won't know until you make the offer.

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 974
B
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by Mulberg
the seller said that they have 2 floor models of the color I want (Rosewood), and if I don't want to wait I can take one of those.

...

What do you think?
The greedy bugger not only has 2 floor models of the 745, but they also have 2 Dark Rosewood models? In a pandemic with worldwide piano shortage. Evil dealer!

Tell them $200 discount and you'll help them out and take one off their hands. Offer to pay by cash if that helps seal the deal.

Double check which one has less scratches - one of them will be in better condition.

Welcome to the club,
Burkey (745 Dark Rosewood owner - they do look nice don't they smile )

Last edited by Burkey; 01/24/21 10:27 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 242
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 242
3400 is price without a discount that is listed in Canada, try to find out if anyone else is selling it, or may be can ship them for free from other city in Canada.

Also, try other pianos to see if you like them, or even check clp775 if you can afford it - you make like it even better.


Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 18
M
Mulberg Offline OP
Junior Member
OP Offline
Junior Member
M
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 18
Thanks everyone for the advice!

CLP 775 is way above my budget. Even CLP 745 is already a big stretch (not polished model).

As for the listed price, yes, it is 3400 CAD. But I'd say it is virtually impossible to get a discount when the demand is so high (I tried). And there is no other Clavinova dealers in our region (British Columbia).

Despite the fact that we right across the border with US, our market is less diverse, and with the pandemic going on, there is a huge shortage of supply (the same [censored], btw, is for the camping equipment frown )

I'd be less hesitant to take a floor model if it was in the floor for 1 or 2 months, but 6... I agree with Pete about the dust problem. Also, when I asked the dealer if they can guarantee that the model will have no cosmetic defects, the dealer was a little hesitant to assure me smile

Anyway, there is 19 more people in line in front of me. And all these people will be offered the floor models first. And only it they refuse, then it is going to be my turn to decide. smile


CASIO CDP-240R
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,185
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,185
This convinces me that it's NOT the right time to be buying a piano ... at least not in your location.
Originally Posted by Mulberg
Anyway, there is 19 more people in line in front of me. And all these people will be offered the floor models first. And only it they refuse, then it is going to be my turn to decide. smile
I don't compete to buy a product.
If there's competition from other buyers then it's a seller's market. And ... to a buyer that's a sucker's market.
That's a giant NO for me. I would wait until supply catches up with demand.
I don't allow myself to be suckered.

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,634
O
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
O
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,634
Originally Posted by Mulberg
So, after a throughout research I've finally decided on the piano I wanted to buy - it is Yamaha CLP-745!

I initially considered mostly slab pianos (P-515, es920, FP-90x). But then the CLP-735 got my attention - it was in a sweet spot in terms of my budget and it had all the features I wanted. But today, after I played CLP-735 in store and compared it with CLP-745, I realized that CLP-745 worth the extra: the sound is so much better and the key action is a little nicer (for me).

Anyway... The bad news for me is that there is a shortage of supply and I may have to wait for my new piano up to 6-7 months! frown (I put a deposit anyway)
However, the seller said that they have 2 floor models of the color I want (Rosewood), and if I don't want to wait I can take one of those.

So, the seller was hesitant to give me any discounts for a floor model, and finally said that they can offer $100 off (which doesn't sound too attractive considering that this is about the piano for $3500 (CAD) ). AND these floor models are on the floor since August.

$100 discount is nothing and I would love to have a new piano. But maybe I am overthinking and there is nothing wrong taking a floor unit?

What do you think?

One option is you can ask you the dealer to give you a loaner piano (like P-515 or something similar) while you wait. That is what my dealer did for Kawai Novus NV10. If the dealer does not agree with that, it really depends on what you think of the floor models. Do they have any cosmetic blemishes? Do all keys work and sound as expected? If you are happy with the floor model in all ways and it comes with factory warranty (as it should), then it may be worth getting it rather than wait for 5-6 months. Given the pandemic, it is not likely that a lot of foot traffic has been there in the store.

Osho


Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 944
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 944
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This convinces me that it's NOT the right time to be buying a piano ... at least not in your location.
Originally Posted by Mulberg
Anyway, there is 19 more people in line in front of me. And all these people will be offered the floor models first. And only it they refuse, then it is going to be my turn to decide. smile
I don't compete to buy a product.
If there's competition from other buyers then it's a seller's market. And ... to a buyer that's a sucker's market.
That's a giant NO for me. I would wait until supply catches up with demand.
I don't allow myself to be suckered.

+1

They have 2 floor models that have been in the showroom for 6 months and now they have a line up of 20 buyers for these floor models?

Does not compute.

If the dealer doesn't want to deal, then I'd say pass on this one. It isn't the right time for a CLP-745 but hopefully there are many other options.

Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 18
M
Mulberg Offline OP
Junior Member
OP Offline
Junior Member
M
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 18
Well, there is NO other options as I see it. I pretty much set on the CLP-745 model.

And the competition in Canada on this market seems to be pretty much non-existent (especially right now). It is not like in States, where they have multiple big chains.

It is maybe not the perfect time buying a piano, but who knows when it is going to be better.

To be honest, I am OK waiting for 6 months. I mean, I wanted to get a new piano for 2 years now, and I always thought that "maybe later". I have an OK piano for now (while I'm waiting a new one) and I'm not a professional player. And also, I may be lucky and Yamaha supply the requested pianos earlier.

Originally Posted by navindra
They have 2 floor models that have been in the showroom for 6 months and now they have a line up of 20 buyers for these floor models?

Does not compute.

Maybe it doesn't. Maybe the dealer didn't want to part with the floor models back then. After all, if there is no models in the showroom, then people may not want to buy this model blindly. For example, I was going to buy CLP735, but after playing 745 in the store I decided to buy it instead.


CASIO CDP-240R
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,677
Members100,711
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5