2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 6 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
moodorf Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi, I'm new to the forums grin

I realize this topic has probably been done to death but I need advice on buying my first acoustic piano. Here is my criteria:

-It's gonna have to be an upright piano, due to budget and space available.
-Used will have to be the way to go
-My budget tops out around $2,500-$2,750
-I'm not interested in a digital piano--I have a MIDI controller and piano vst if I really wanted to go that route.

I just need to know which brands/makes/models are good quality and which to avoid. Or any other tips that would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by moodorf; 01/23/21 09:00 PM.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
In my area (metro DC) I see uprights from makers like Yamaha, Kawai and Baldwin drop into that range. Others too, but I tend to watch for Baldwins (given my own curiosity) and Yamaha and Kawai are prominent names.

It's just a question of the balance of brand/model, age, and condition, although the seller's eagerness to have it sold factors in too. I'd suggest maxing your budget by watching private sales.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Even in that budget range, the world is your oyster. It just depends on what comes your way. Ultimately, whatever piano sounds and feels the way you like it to is what matters most, not brand or age (given it is in good, working condition, of course).

Kawai and Yamaha will likely be what you see most common. You might run into names you haven’t heard of before, but I guarantee people here will have information about it for you.

You might run into a Petrof. I let an incredible Mason & Hamlin 50 slip away from me at that price. Of course Chinese stencil brands will be below that price at hardly used, but there will be extreme opposite opinions about that category.

But, again, if it’s in working order and YOU like how it sounds and feels, then that’s what matters for you.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
T
T
Brand new Hailun or Feurich (Both China made) give warranty of at least 10 years. Cheaper than Yamaha and Kawai but higher quality than their entry level model. Or used Yamaha Or Kawai, for used ones(between 1970 - 2000), I recommend Yamaha over Kawai. Well maintained used Yamaha upright is really good. Touch is light and smooth , tone is precise and clean.

Last edited by tony3304; 01/23/21 11:01 PM.
G
G
Some further comments:

- a difficult decision will be if you want to buy from a dealer or private. Buying from a dealer will give you warranty and often a free tuning. Buying from a private seller will give you a lower price. I would recommend buying from a private seller only if you can have somebody to support you in correctly judging the condition of the piano

- when going to test ride a few pianos, bring sheet music or make sure you have some pieces memorized. It is important that you can play something where you don‘t need to focus on your playing. Also what you play should cover the low, middle, and high notes. Preferably at piano to forte loudness. You should always play the same things on all pianos for better comparison

- only buy a piano if it is in tune. if it is not, you cannot really judge what it would sound like if it were in tune.

- if you come from a digital it may take some time of playing to adjust your touch to an acoustic. That was at least the case for me, as I was coming from a digital with a fairly heavy or sluggish action. My current upright action is really light in comparison, and needs considerably less force

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission