2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (BlakeOR, AlphaBravoCharlie, Chouca, Carey, Calavera, anotherscott, 20 invisible), 491 guests, and 562 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Costis Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone,

Just want to announce that I have succesfully modded my (faulty) F-30 pedal into a standalone USB triple continuous pedal (i.e. all 3 pedals send continuous values) that works like a charm. Since this mod actually enhances the pedal's operation it is not only for faulty ones and can even be used by non Kawai owners that just want a USB triple pedal.

The mod is based on an old idea by John O'Flaherty that I have built upon. I have used an Arduino and 3 Linear (analog) Hall effect sensors to get analog signals from all pedals with strategically placed magnets.

Pros:
1. No soldering needed - no electronics experience needed
2. Does not interfere with the pedal's original operation and is completely reversible. It is also seamless/invisible with the exception of the extra USB cable that comes out of the pedal.
3. It is plug and play - the pedal is recognised as a regular MIDI device just as your keyboard
4. It is fully configurable, each of the 3 pedals can send any controller/mono aftertouch/pitch bend up/down
5. Curves can be defined for each pedal independently and work on raw input values to avoid losing resolution (as with software curves)
6. It is auto-calibrated
7. Relatively cheap solution: under 30 EUR with a genuine Arduino and if you go with clones you can go even lower

Caveats:
1. You need to install Arduino IDE (just a small application really)
2. Configuration changes need modification and reupload of code - no controller application available. But this is a breeze with Arduino IDE and the changes are just changes in text
3. Since the pedal becomes an independent MIDI device you need to know how to route it in our apps and DAW. I have tested and it works perfectly along with my VPC1 using Addictive Keys, Ravenscroft VI, Pianoteq, Garritan CFX, Kontakt (Noire) and Reaper and should work everywhere provided multiple input MIDI devices are allowed.

I have not created a step by step guide yet, since it is a tedious excercise and I do not know if anyone is actually interested, but if there is active interest in the forum I will happily compile one.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
There's definitely not too many generic triple pedals out there. If any(?)

USB based may be great for the computer use case.

I guess similarly it would be possible to make a legacy MIDI one. That could plug directly into a stage piano.

Haven't ever fooled around with the Arduino myself.

C
Costis Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yes, a MIDI version is pretty easy to make since the same
Arduino library is used and I have even bought a female MIDI connector to test it.

However, there are some extra caveats:
1. It will be harder to fit inside the pedal as you need a larger breadboard to fit the connector and two resistors
2. External power is needed for the Arduino (battery, DC or USB) as MIDI cable does not provide power.
3. You still need a USB cable if you want to be able to reprogram it (change settings)

There is also another thought, to use an Arduino to reverse engineer the GFP-3 pedal output via a female 6-pin DIN connector and send MIDI via USB. But I don't have one, and my modded F-30 works so well that there is no need for something else.

A
A
Originally Posted by Costis
Yes, a MIDI version is pretty easy to make since the same
Arduino library is used and I have even bought a female MIDI connector to test it.

However, there are some extra caveats:
1. It will be harder to fit inside the pedal as you need a larger breadboard to fit the connector and two resistors
2. External power is needed for the Arduino (battery, DC or USB) as MIDI cable does not provide power.
3. You still need a USB cable if you want to be able to reprogram it (change settings)

There is also another thought, to use an Arduino to reverse engineer the GFP-3 pedal output via a female 6-pin DIN connector and send MIDI via USB. But I don't have one, and my modded F-30 works so well that there is no need for something else.
Sounds good to me. Hope you post that step by step guide. My F-30 is working at the moment but who knows how long it will last. Very innovative of you.

C
Costis Offline OP
OP Offline
C

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
This is awesome! Thanks for taking the effort to put the guide together!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Nice. The breadboard is a short term solution though, it is prone to bad contact.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
C
Costis Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Nice. The breadboard is a short term solution though, it is prone to bad contact.

Thanks! It's crammed inside and there is no movement whatsoever so I don't anticipate problems soon. Even if something fails in the long term it can be easily replaced.

This is aimed to people with no electronics experience so the design is as simple as it can get. Of course more advanced users can solder on a protoboard. Another alternative is to scrap the breadboard altogether and go directly on the arduino pins with f/f jumpers, but you must create Y jumpers for the GND and 5V pins since you need 3 pairs. Or you could buy the pro Arduino version without headers and solder directly on it.

Last edited by Costis; 01/24/21 03:27 PM.
A
A
Originally Posted by Costis
Thank you so much. You deserve a medal for this guide. Superb work.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,677
Members100,711
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission