2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (antune, BlakeOR, Bill McKaig,RPT, 8ude, Chouca, AlphaBravoCharlie, 19 invisible), 490 guests, and 511 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I visited the piano shop again to check cosmetic status then found several hairscratches on the both rims next to music rack.
I forgot to take photos. I circled the area which has several micro scratches. Music rack was wrapped with protection film in last week but it was peeled off in this week. Do you mind hair scratches on those area(red circled area)if you buy brand new grand piano? [Linked Image]

Last edited by tony3304; 01/23/21 06:15 AM.
Ubu Offline
My mom likes to tell me the history of how it took 10 years to my dad to purchase a leather jacket. He used to go into every shop he found around and never was happy with any of the jackets, because of the most bizarre and insignificant details.

I'm afraid you are going that way.

Last edited by Ubu; 01/23/21 06:58 AM.
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
As Alfred Brendel (certainly a discerning pianist knowledgeable in matters of piano mechanics) wrote, ultimately the piano is an instrument and not a fetish.

Last edited by dhull100; 01/23/21 07:52 AM.
Originally Posted by dhull100
... piano is an instrument and not a fetish.

For many, it is sometimes both.

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
We can't tell how bad the scratches are in your picture since it's not a close up. If they bother you but would buy the piano if they weren't there, I'm 100% sure the dealer will remove them for you prior to a sale if you request this. Check the whole piano first so their touch up person can make one trip to remove all the scratches that bother you.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/23/21 08:23 AM.
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Micro scratches are inevitable for any piano, unless you rope off the area in which the piano resides and never play or practice on the piano, and always keep children and pets completely away. Then the piano becomes a shrine rather than an instrument. There are brands of piano polish that when applied correctly can remove the micro scratches, sold here on PianoWorld’s site. I found a super gentle polish used on collectors cars that is fantastic. I buy microfiber cloths for my vehicles and my piano ( kept separate of course).

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
I've been in the piano business for let's just say well over 50 years.

I've never seen a perfect piano, either cosmetic or otherwise. It's just a matter of where and how hard you look.

Once you've got it in place use some Cory product if you feel compelled...

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Tony, having read your threads and posts here, I see that we have something in common, you and I. We are both "perfectionist", to an extent ,at least. It (being a perfectionist) is be a blessing and a curse.

Over the years, being a perfectionist has help me achieve a high level of success in my working careers, with close attention paid to detail, craftsmanship, and professionalism, along with many other positive things that are beneficial, in many different areas, and life in general.

On the other hand, being a perfectionist has also caused me a lot of grief, worrying and fretting about minor things that really didn't matter. Or worrying about things that mattered, but was not something I could do anything about.

If the micro scratches bother you, as others have said, ask the dealer if they can polish them out for you. If the false beats bother you, and the other imperfections, look for another piano. If there is not a better piano to be had, within your budget, either raise your budget or buy the Kawai grand, with the minor scratches, (if they can't or won't fix) and false beats.

Also, FWIW (for what it's worth) if you can't be completely satisfied, learn to be semi-satisfied/partially satisfied. That is the only thing that has kept me sane all these years (well, not the only thing, but one of them). smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Good advice given to you. Don't worry about the small stuff. It is an instrument that you will use, scratches ,dings and dents are unavoidable and part of a piano aging.

Last edited by Learux; 01/23/21 11:27 AM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Everyone has different expectations. If you don’t want a new piano with scratches, then naturally you don’t have to buy it. Your choice.

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The question in the title of the thread is irrelevant. What does it matter whether others "mind" or not? It's your choice not ours.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Regarding scratches, if you were buying a car new, you wouldn't want to see scratches on it. That said, in certain lights, you may well see polishing scratches, the odd imperfection, and if there was anything that really bothered you, you might ask the dealer to buff them out. The danger with that of course is that the buffing out may risk more scratching.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
The more scratched and used the better for my taste, even when brand new. That is one reason I like satin pianos; I can't stand shiny pianos.

This is DEFINITELY a "to each their own" question, but since you asked, and I assume generally, that is my answer.

If you are looking for an answer or validation, then only you can answer that.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Kawai 602-M Console in Oak [1991; previously owned]
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Regarding scratches, if you were buying a car new, you wouldn't want to see scratches on it. That said, in certain lights, you may well see polishing scratches, the odd imperfection, and if there was anything that really bothered you, you might ask the dealer to buff them out. The danger with that of course is that the buffing out may risk more scratching.

Some of those exquisite perfect paint jobs cost more than a brand new Kawai GX2.

Having been in retail sales right after high school Id say our OP is just frightened “pulling the trigger”. No piano can ever achieve true perfection and even if it did, it wouldn’t stay that way.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I think life is too short to worry about a couple of hairscratches on a beautiful piano just begging to be played!

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by U3piano
I think life is too short to worry about a couple of hairscratches on a beautiful piano just begging to be played!
I agree, but, in the context of the OPs previous threads and posts, this piano is not for him; he is finding reasons not to purchase it but hasn't realised that. IMHO.

Online Content
This problem is not so complicated. Just have the dealer's touch up person remove the scratches that bother you.

You can avoid causing new scratches to a large extent by carefully dusting the piano with microfiber cloths without applying any pressure and protecting the music desk when playing. The simplest way to do this is to put around three thin sheet music scores on the desk to cover it and then put the score you're playing on top of them. The only place where it's not possible to completely avoid scratches is the fallboard, but scratches there can be buffed out and mostly avoided if you keep your nails short. All the above I know from personal experience. I am quite fussy about keeping my Mason BB in very nice condition, and after 15 years it looks almost the same as when it was delivered.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
This problem is not so complicated. Just have the dealer's touch up person remove the scratches that bother you.

[...]

... and then when the piano arrives in the home and the blanket is removed and the piano is handled by the delivery team .... ?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

[...]

... and then when the piano arrives in the home and the blanket is removed and the piano is handled by the delivery team .... ?
He can either ask the dealer to touch it up again or hire a touch up person privately. This is assuming he's not examining every inch of the piano from a few inches away. Once the piano is in his home, unless there are other people living there who may touch the piano it's relatively easy to mostly avoid additional scratches except on the fallboard.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
I found a super gentle polish used on collectors cars that is fantastic.

I used to use that, as well. Now I just dust. 😂

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,677
Members100,711
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission